Sleep system and shelters.

mherne8

FNG
I’m going to be buying a new sleep system and shelter before this season, archery elk in Co. I’ll be backpack hunting and I plan to run a sleeping bag, pad, bivy, and a shelter. I’m leaning more towards down bags and the bivy is basically for protection and to keep it dry. I’ve carried a bag and bivy combo for years in the military and it has kept my current down bag safe and mostly dry for years. As for shelters I’m torn looking at things like the Nemo spike or some sort of traditional light weight backpacking tent. I’m not against a tarp but I’m not sure I’m ready to fork out the $$ for one although it would be useful for my time spent afield for work in the military.
I would just like to hear what you all use and recommend and some of what your likes and dislikes of your systems are.
Note: I know carrying a bivy bag and tent is a bit much but there have been many times in the past where I didn’t feel like pitching a tent and just used the bivy and bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you looked into Jimmy Tarps? I’m a big fan of light weight equipment. It’s hard to beat a good tent but I’ll sacrifice the weight any day for a quality tarp setup. I’ve owned a Jimmy Tarp Granite 1st gen and really liked it. I’m looking to buy a 3rd gen or a Hudson Tipi. Something to consider. The big Agnes ultralight tents and sleeping bag systems are also great. I run a BA down bag and really like it. Super light and still somewhat affordable.

CO2130

WKR
I would look into a seek outside or Kifaru tarp or tipi. Run either setup with a stove in wet or cold conditions, and they have tons of size options. I personally would stay away from the company mentioned above considering they completely rip off Kifaru’s designs, but that’s just me.

Welcome.

I ran an old .mil gortex bivy for a long time. Loved it and it kept me warm and dry more than once. It is quite heavy though. 2 pounds as I recall which puts it in the realm of some nice one person tent sin terms of weight.

As you build up your hunting gear you’ll find a lot of people are big fans of tarps and tipis here. Plenty of brand loyalty and lots of options and prices. Check out seek outside, six moon designs, mountain laurel and a few more. Flat tarps are cheap. Shaped are a bit more expensive but add function. I had a 9x6 tarp that is plenty for one person on a recent backpacking trip. I upped my game and bought a 10x10, a seek outside dst. It is freaking huge. I also just picked up a gatewood cape which is close to a .mil poncho but lighter and more functional as a shelter and only $135.

Tents have their place and there are plenty of options there too. I tend to haul a tent when bugs are a consideration.

If you can’t shake the bivy habit look into something light. SOL bivy or some of the lightweight gear makers have really good offerings that are well below a pound and offer good protection from moisture and bugs. Like you I sometimes like to sleep outside as opposed to a tent. When I don’t feel like pitching a tent I have lain on top of a tent as a ground cloth or just draped the rain fly over my bag to keep drew off me.

OP
mherne8

mherne8

FNG
Welcome.

I ran an old .mil gortex bivy for a long time. Loved it and it kept me warm and dry more than once. It is quite heavy though. 2 pounds as I recall which puts it in the realm of some nice one person tent sin terms of weight.

As you build up your hunting gear you’ll find a lot of people are big fans of tarps and tipis here. Plenty of brand loyalty and lots of options and prices. Check out seek outside, six moon designs, mountain laurel and a few more. Flat tarps are cheap. Shaped are a bit more expensive but add function. I had a 9x6 tarp that is plenty for one person on a recent backpacking trip. I upped my game and bought a 10x10, a seek outside dst. It is freaking huge. I also just picked up a gatewood cape which is close to a .mil poncho but lighter and more functional as a shelter and only $135.

Tents have their place and there are plenty of options there too. I tend to haul a tent when bugs are a consideration.

If you can’t shake the bivy habit look into something light. SOL bivy or some of the lightweight gear makers have really good offerings that are well below a pound and offer good protection from moisture and bugs. Like you I sometimes like to sleep outside as opposed to a tent. When I don’t feel like pitching a tent I have lain on top of a tent as a ground cloth or just draped the rain fly over my bag to keep drew off me.

I appreciate the insight. What are you running for a sleeping bag?

Im aware of the brand loyalty and I have a bit myself however I’m having a hard time justifying spending $500-$800 on a tarp that I will use once a year.

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
If you might want to test the waters with floorless, there’s always the mountainsmith lt
Popular with some here, just picked one up myself few months back, I’ve had a few nights in mine and love it compared to my last few solo tents , nice to sit up, not having to get on hands and knees to get into, next is to maybe add stove jack, they hold value it seems, and can be found pretty easily

Call me crazy but I run a BA UL3 Mtn glo.

I could not imagine any other tent for one person operation. Plenty of room for a person and all their gear to stay dry and it doesn't weigh hardly anything. Its got a floor too. Which keeps out the demons. :)

Beendare

WKR
Welcome to the forum. Same question asked 1,000 different ways almost daily..... if you search you will get a pile of info.

I went away from bivy's years ago for multiple reasons. FYI, now you can get a full tent that is 2.5# [My Tarptent is 2# 4oz including floor and bug mesh]....about the same weight as a bivy and tarp with better coverage and less hassle.

OP
mherne8

mherne8

FNG
Welcome to the forum. Same question asked 1,000 different ways almost daily..... if you search you will get a pile of info.

I went away from bivy's years ago for multiple reasons. FYI, now you can get a full tent that is 2.5# [My Tarptent is 2# 4oz including floor and bug mesh]....about the same weight as a bivy and tarp with better coverage and less hassle.

I did some sifting through the forums. I’m more concerned with what bag, bivy, and shelter everyone is using and their reviews. Shelter wise I’m wanting to hear what people have to say about tents. I am fully aware the majority here are big fans of tarps like kifaru and seek outside. I’m just not willing to foot the bill for those two brands for once a year use.
As stated before I’ll always carry a bivy even if I’m packing a shelter or tent. If it’s nice and I don’t feel like setting up a shelter I’ll just use the bivy and bag if I decide to set up camp I’ll do that and leave that stuff in place.

elkduds

WKR
Not yet. They have come to market since I got my MSR Fast Stash, which I will use until it needs replacement. Generally strong reviews for Luxe gear on RS and other forums.

I’ve been using a Zpacks Duplex for 5 years, and it’s awesome.
You won’t find a more spacious, ultra light weight tent on the market (doubtful anyway).

I had mine built in their camo Cuban fiber. No issues with durability.
No bugs, fully protected and waterproof.

I use their ‘airplane bag’ for my pack btw-
Again, fully waterproof, UL and inexpensive.
I have found zero need for a conventional pack to go with any frame.

I would also highly recommend CF for a shelter, but I'm guessing from what you said earlier, you probably don't want to spend the $ for one. It's quite a bit more expensive than Syl.

Backyard

WKR
Call me crazy but I run a BA UL3 Mtn glo.

I could not imagine any other tent for one person operation. Plenty of room for a person and all their gear to stay dry and it doesn't weigh hardly anything. Its got a floor too. Which keeps out the demons. :)

That makes 2 of us, except I don't use the mtn glo., for the same reasons.
And you can set up footprint/fly for lighter wt. situations.

I appreciate the insight. What are you running for a sleeping bag?

Im aware of the brand loyalty and I have a bit myself however I’m having a hard time justifying spending $500-$800 on a tarp that I will use once a year.

For warm weather I used a G.I. poncho liner, now upgraded to a kifaru woobie, or a snug pack jungle bag.

For colder weather I ran north face cats meows for years but swapped to a synthetic montbell called a burrow bag for more shoulder room and less confining overall fit. I am on the husky side, a side sleeper and sleep warm so the features that offer some stretch work better for me and I have been quite comfortable in temps well below its rating.

https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=14003&p_id=2321183

I am eyeballing an upgrade to an enlightened equipment convert bag/quilt in Apex but haven’t pulled the trigger.

I also use my bags more for backpacking than hunting sadly so don’t have a really cold weather one in my current line up.

As far as tarps go, I agree. I think the higher end stuff is worth every penny if you use it enough but for an occasional user it makes sense to be more selective. For me, top shelf boots and packs are well worth it but I spend less on shelters because I am lucky if I get more than a few days use a year.

An Enlightened equipment quilt paired with a mountainsmith lt shelter cannot be beat for value..

My EE quilts been in rotation for 2+ years and been slept in more then 500 nights (rv camping and hunts).... great value.

The mountainsmith lt shelter will not yardsail in hurricane force winds..

How many shelters out there can say that let alone ones that cost 85$ and weight two pounds all up with tons of room??

OP
mherne8

mherne8

FNG
An Enlightened equipment quilt paired with a mountainsmith lt shelter cannot be beat for value..

My EE quilts been in rotation for 2+ years and been slept in more then 500 nights (rv camping and hunts).... great value.

The mountainsmith lt shelter will not yardsail in hurricane force winds..

How many shelters out there can say that let alone ones that cost 85$ and weight two pounds all up with tons of room??

I’m going to look into the mountainsmith shelters.