Another double bear mauling

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed, sad deal for sure. Someone just trying to get outside and exercise. Sketches me out knowing how often my family members are on the hills training throughout the week without a gun. I'm guilty of it myself, I never carry when I'm running or hiking just for exercise.

IMO it's going to be a recurring theme. Last summer it was a black bear, this year a brown. State will likely go through and shoot 3-4 bears again before they get the right one. They already shot 2? bears at the nature center.

Last edited:
OP
AK Troutbum
Agreed, sad deal for sure. Someone just trying to get outside and exercise. Sketches me out knowing how often my family members are on the hills training throughout the week without a gun. I'm guilty of it myself, I never carry when I'm running or hiking just for exercise.

IMO it's going to be a recurring theme. Last summer it was a black bear, this year a brown. State will likely go through and shoot 3-4 bears again before they get the right one. They already shot 2? bears at the nature center.
Yeah, actually two more brown bears were just killed on Monday evening in an ER neighborhood, but I believe they were just a couple juveniles getting into trash.

From about March on, I'm always carrying for all my training hikes. I figure, I got it and I'm training for backpack hunting anyways, there's really no reason not to be packing.

Anyway, be safe out there Kyle.

That's rough, unfortunately nature is damn scary. We take inherent risks when we go into the wilderness. I don't personally hike with a firearm but I'm only in black bear country. It is unlikely I'll change that.

When I finally get to Alaska though I imagine I'll be packing some heat. My last trip to Yellowstone I only took spray, I don't regret the decision but I had to unholster it once, never sprayed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely sucks

Sketches me out knowing how often my family members are on the hills training throughout the week without a gun. I'm guilty of it myself, I never carry when I'm running or hiking just for exercise.

Looking back, I'm surprised how often we do group hikes and none of the others in the group brings bear spray or a gun. I as well am guilty of this from time to time. Sure is an eye opener and a reminder to stay vigilant while out on the trails...and even in the neighborhoods while walking the dogs.