New Mexico Elk Private Land

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone help me figure out the steps a land owner needs to do or what the minimum land owned is for someone to get LOP tags? Is it even a thing in New Mexico? My neighbor just informed me that his family owns a large hunk of or property near Chama that unless people trespass doesn’t get hunted. His family doesn’t hunt, but they aren’t anti hunters. And I am actually starting to get him excited about it and want to help the process along as much as I can. I’m going to start doin research and looking at regs, but I figured I would hit this awesome group up first.

TIA,
David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
there is no way i would glean info on a private land hunt for elk from a forum.

i hunt private land deer in NM, and i attack a paper copy of the regulations with a yellow highlighter. there are 4-5 steps with deer you cannot miss or not carry with you. i worry about messing up anything and ruining my opportunity to hunt a private ranch.

read the regs..

i have looked at the elk regs..seems more complicated. more landowner involvement.

OP
M

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
This is the kind of initial information I was looking for. Looks like there’s more hoops to jump through than in Oregon to get LOP tags. I am definitely going to bury myself Into the regs and figure it all out. And hopefully be able to help the land owner out to figure out his side.
Now as far as the area, is it a good area for elk? Can anyone know without knowing the specific GMU? All I know is that it’s near Chama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk