Where to buy in Montana?

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a vacation/summer property. Attempting to escape Houston summers and would like a base to start fall hunts from.

Would like to be within 2hrs of good elk/mule deer hunting. Decent bear hunting within 1hr. Prefer hunting at or above tree line in areas with limited roads.

Looking for hiking, biking and running trails within 15-30min.

River access for fishing and boating within an hour is a bonus, but not a deal breaker.
Enough acreage so that I don’t have to see my neighbors is a plus, but I need a minimum of 2ac.

Needs to be within 2hrs of an airport (June-August) and be accessible in September. I’m not a skier so winter access isn’t a concern.

Budget is 250k. Would like that to cover land, utilities (or alternative power source), water/well and road.

Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EastMT

WKR
For the things you have listed, I would lean towards Hamilton or Darby area south of Missoula. I loved it when I lived in the area. Ag communities, rugged mountains on the west side, rounded hills on the east side of highway. Missoula to north for airport, I-80 to head anywhere. Other than AK, I love it there best.

mtmuley

WKR
For the things you have listed, I would lean towards Hamilton or Darby area south of Missoula. I loved it when I lived in the area. Ag communities, rugged mountains on the west side, rounded hills on the east side of highway. Missoula to north for airport, I-80 to head anywhere. Other than AK, I love it there best.

We're full. mtmuley

slowelk

WKR
Bitterroot valley came to mind immediately - I'm in Missoula. One more like-minded person out that way can't hurt, just keep the Californians out!
The market is hot right now, so if you're serious and find something you like, be ready to move quickly.

mtmuley

WKR
We are in the middle of another boom. Property values rising fast. Elk hunting sucks, mule deer are permit only. The river is crowded C'mon out. mtmuley

chasewild

WKR
We are in the middle of another boom. Property values rising fast. Elk hunting sucks, mule deer are permit only. The river is crowded C'mon out. mtmuley

Just wait until you get a "Denver" in your state -- then talk to me about too many people in your elk/deer/trout spot!

Bitterroot valley came to mind immediately - I'm in Missoula. One more like-minded person out that way can't hurt, just keep the Californians out!

this cracked me up.....a huge percentage of what has been here since the 90s are folks from california

mtmuley

WKR
Most of the new kids that showed up when I was in school in the 70'S and 80's were from California. I married one of them. mtmuley

Wapiti1

WKR
Lots of Californians moved in in the late 70's and early 80's, then we had the winter of, if I recall correctly, 1986 and many moved back out. Turns out they don't like 35 below zero for 8 weeks straight. That was a cold ass winter. At least it was in Ulm, MT.

Honestly, for fun look at Butte. Most exciting airport to bank into during a snow storm that I have ever experienced. It is barely big enough for a 737 to land. No doubt one of the most historically interesting places in Montana and has all the hunting and fishing you would want. I enjoyed my time there in school, and would love to go back.

Helena is another to look at. More similar to Bozeman and Missoula without as many liberals. Also a little cheaper if you look toward Townsend or even Boulder.

That said, it is hard to beat the Bitterroot valley south of Missoula. I had cousins in Sula and we spent some great weeks there in the summer.

Wish I could go back. Not going to happen, but that is fine as well.

Jeremy

mtmuley

WKR
I 'm in the Root. If you are gonna buy, don't wait. An isolated 2 plus acres with the improvements you described will be tough. mtmuley

mtmuley

WKR
Missoula - Bozeman - Denver - LA - all the same thing.

No, not even close. I've been to all those cities. Montana doesn't have the BIG city feel yet. Not anywhere. Unless you ask a native like me. Then, yeah. I have a list of big Montana cities. Hamilton is a big city. mtmuley