Stage 3 fire restrictions and archery elk in CO

Watching the stage 3 restrictions that are occurring has me considering the impact on the coming big game seasons, especially for non resident folks. So, let's play "What if..."

What if you are planning an OTC archery elk hunt in southern Colorado and it is August 15 and stage 3 restrictions are in place for the entire southern half of the state. Say everything south of I-70 for the sake of discussion. And the forecast is dry and hot through the next few weeks. Do you head to another location north of I-70 or scrap your plans outright?

What about you resident hunters?

If it’s August 15 and the forest is still closed then I’m definitely looking north of I-70.

I cashed in my deer points this year on an archery tag and am really just hoping the monsoons kick off soon

They lifted the stage 3 restrictions Thursday and went back to a stage 2 restriction, at least down here in SW Colorado. I can’t be certain what the rest of the state is doing.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The forests are either open, or they're closed. That pretty much dictates what happens. Just fire restrictions don't affect me, as I always cold camp.

However, if I was coming from a ways away.......I definitely wouldn't buy my tag until I got here.

OP
T
The forests are either open, or they're closed. That pretty much dictates what happens. Just fire restrictions don't affect me, as I always cold camp.

However, if I was coming from a ways away.......I definitely wouldn't buy my tag until I got here.

My understanding is that stage 3 closes forests to all activity, including hunting.

OP
T
I am curious as to how such a situation may impact the northern part of the state if the southern part is closed to hunting. Seems likely that there would be quite a few more archers in the northern woods (OTC units) which will potentially have an effect on the quality of hunting. I believe the resident hunters would be much more likely to adapt to such a situation and simply hunt further north; I know that is what I would do. But the non resident guys are in a different boat. Proximity is the obvious consideration and it may be difficult for some to scout a new area at the last minute. The associated cost of a non resident tag coupled with being forced to hunt an unfamiliar area would certainly weigh in on my decision if I were non resident. Fingers crossed for a wet monsoon season...

Beendare

WKR
They lifted the stage 3 restrictions Thursday and went back to a stage 2 restriction, at least down here in SW Colorado. I can’t be certain what the rest of the state is doing.

^ good info Justin. I see you got a little rain.

Don't you think the summer monsoon season will change this by archery elk seasons?

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider

Don't you think the summer monsoon season will change this by archery elk seasons?

Depends on how much of a monsoon season we get. We are under an "exceptional" drought according the experts. Going to take a lot of rain to turn things around. The real problem is that typically with the monsoons, comes a lot of lightning.

Bulldawg

WKR
When was the last time that any national forest was shut down during hunting season? I can't remember a time. Back in 2013 is when the big fire hit the Rio Grande National forest (a year very similar to this year) and by the time Archery season began it was accessible and the hunting was very good that year.

What I am very curious about since I have worked in a small outdoor retail shop in small town Colorado off and on for 8 years and in the outfitting world for a couple I have noticed that a lot of people from out of town don't pay attention to these things. I am wondering if a forest is still closed, how many guys that come up every year to hunt OTC just come up and try to go hunting? I say a lot would. Just like when a unit I am near went from OTC to draw a lot of guys just bought OTC tags and hunted unknowingly, or a lot of guys came in to buy tags and we told them that where they wanted to hunt was now draw and they couldn't go anymore. That is the stuff that gets me wondering and gets me giggling.

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
I look forward to September all year. If the unit I hunt is closed, I don’t have a problem driving a few more hours and learning new country. I just got home at 7:30am this morning. I drove home straight through from looking at some new bowls a little more inaccessible than where I have traditionally hunted in anticipation of the neighboring unit being closed during September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I personally don’t worry about my season and what the weather and how any other issues may affect it until the morning I hunt. I also understand it’s a bit easier for me to say that because I live here.

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
The very dry areas on Colorado are the enitire SW - think Aspen/CB area to the four corners, the central moutains in the I70 corridor. and the south central mountains. Not sure about the NW corner of the state. The northern portion of the continental divide got decent snowfall but not sure if they have been getting any rain. Watch the rian guages for your area through the summer. If the monsoons don't set up then the forests will get closed and not open back up till it rains or snows. Its awful dry out here.

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
What I am very curious about since I have worked in a small outdoor retail shop in small town Colorado off and on for 8 years and in the outfitting world for a couple I have noticed that a lot of people from out of town don't pay attention to these things. I am wondering if a forest is still closed, how many guys that come up every year to hunt OTC just come up and try to go hunting?

I'd say its possible, but one would have to be pretty oblivious to not notice. During the closure here, there were signs at all the NF access points that were very hard to miss. The CDOT billboard signs over the the highways (the ones that announce construction, accidents, amber alerts, etc) also stated information about the NF closure. I'm sure people would plead ignorance, but I read that the fine for entering the NF during closure could result in up to a $5000 fine for an individual ($10,000 for an organization) and up to 6 months prison or both. Could literally be worth it for people to do their homework.

Bulldawg

WKR
You would be surprised!

Not saying they would go hunt a closed forest, I'm saying folks will travel a long ways with the intention of hunting the forest and get there and notice that it is closed, that is going to break some hearts if it stays closed that long

I'd say its possible, but one would have to be pretty oblivious to not notice. During the closure here, there were signs at all the NF access points that were very hard to miss. The CDOT billboard signs over the the highways (the ones that announce construction, accidents, amber alerts, etc) also stated information about the NF closure. I'm sure people would plead ignorance, but I read that the fine for entering the NF during closure could result in up to a $5000 fine for an individual ($10,000 for an organization) and up to 6 months prison or both. Could literally be worth it for people to do their homework.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I know in 2013 when we had all that rain and flooding in the northern part of the state that closed all the roads into certain areas the DOW refunded people for their tags for those specific draw units that were closed. They'd probably do the same if the entire unit was closed due to fire during the season. But that wouldn't affect OTC tag holders as they could always go elsewhere.