No camo!!

ColeKira

FNG
I'm shopping for camo and I'm starting to think neutral or muted earth tone technical clothing instead of camo. Ive hunted in everything from Kuiu Vias to Wal-Mart Mossy Oak. After losing weight and dropping a few sizes, I sold all my Kuiu and rethinking this whole camo deal. My closet has greens and browns and greys from North Face, Outdoor Research, Mountain Khakis, Prana, Hardware, Arc'......etc. Good, proven, reliable clothing for mountain hunting, just not in camo. So,....how many of you forgo the camo and just go out there in "earth tones"?

hodgeman

WKR
I've arrived at the conclusion that camo under most conditions just doesn't matter all that much. While I do have some camo items, my gear is largely just earth tones.

The bonus is that I can wear it in town and not feel like a goober.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I am hunting turkeys or ducks or archery deer then I wear camo-although you could likely get away with muted colors here also I just feel better with camo. For pretty much everything else I like dark greens, grays and some browns. I carried a small pack recently and I put it on the ground and walked away doing some fishing. When I looked back I had to really look hard to see it and it is coyote brown. It was in an area with locks of rocks and pine trees and blended in quite well. Muted colors work-too much movement in the best camo does not work.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
No camo is where I’m heading. I did pick up a camo shirt, hat, neck gaiter and vest from Skre on a sale so it was substantially cheaper than other brands. My thoughts are to at least have a camo option for turkey and archery deer and elk that didn’t break the bank. My only other two camo pieces are some light gloves and rain pants. Didn’t want camo rain pants but they were on clearance and fit the rest of my criteria.

I've arrived at the conclusion that camo under most conditions just doesn't matter all that much. While I do have some camo items, my gear is largely just earth tones.

The bonus is that I can wear it in town and not feel like a goober.
I agree, when hunting ungulates. Each of the last three years I have had elk within 15 yards of me while I was wearing the required blaze orange to hunt in Colorado. Each time these bulls were coming to a call and were actually looking for the source of the calls. Each time I was in full view but remained motionless and the wind was "right". They never new I was there and one of those events had my buddy right next to me in orange as well. Motion is what gets a guy spotted, in my opinion.

amassi

WKR
Mtn khaki and carhartt pants in greys, greens and khaki
Like others above, the only time I wear full camo is ducks, turkeys and archery elk/deer. Everyone else gets boring old pants. Od green t shirt and a mish mash camo layering depending on weather.
Fwiw- I'm a bigger guy, so a lot of high end camo doesn't fit me well and appears to have a more athletic cut.
Also, I always have some blaze orange on during rifle season even where not required so head to toe camo wouldn't really apply

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't have a problem wearing solids up top, but my camo hunting pants are the most comfortable pants I own. So I will stick with the camo pants. But I wear my solid black microfleece mock-T over my merino base top a lot during elk season and haven't had any issues wearing that. Last year I was wearing it and my bright blue and orange Bronco hat during ML with my daughter. But it's easier to conceal myself from other hunters when I'm in full camo.

bobinmi

WKR
I have debated doing the same for the simple reason that If I'm gonna spend this kind of money on clothing, why not be able to wear it more. For some reason my wife doesn't believe that ASAT is appropriate for date night.

Vandal 44

WKR
I am down to just a few pieces of camo and most of that is for very very cold tree-stand hunting. I do have two Kuiu long sleeve wool shirts. I don't think coma is necessary.

KSP277

WKR
I’d bet a paycheck the number of times a hunt went south due to the chosen camo pattern are so tiny it can’t be measured. Plus nothing looks more badass than dead animals and flannel

matthewmt

WKR
Known in some gunfighting/guerilla sniper circles as hippe camo (earth tones).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Bronc

Lil-Rokslider
I’m pretty much the opposite of the above posts. Whenever I buy good hunting clothes, it’s alway camouflage. If I buy non-camo, I end up wearing it for day to day activities at times. If I wear it only for hunting, it seems to last a lot longer.

elkguide

WKR
If it's a great product, that fits well and is on the sale rack...…… camo is OK.
Anything other than that, I need to be comfortable and be able to stay warm and dry.

IdahoElk

WKR
I don't get it,what's wrong with camo now? I see people all the time that don't even hunt wear camo? I'm wearing O'Neal board shorts in woodland camo right now,they're awesome!