Pack Rod Suggestions

LitenFast

WKR
Hey all, looking for recommendations on a packable rod for an Alaskan float trip in the Brooks. Hunting will be the primary focus, but sounds like the fishing is fantastic as well.

Wondering especially telescoping vs 4-6 piece rods. Initially leaning towards like a 4 piece pack rod but what have others experiences lead them towards?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer travel rod as I haven't had much luck with a telescoping rod being very well made it holding together. Got a Fenwick travel rod that I have been pleased with.

TheTone

WKR
Take something good. A friend of mine and his brother broke multiple high quality rods a couple years ago in that country on big fish.

Fitzwho

WKR
I have a Fenwick 4 piece rod. 7’ medium-light action. Paired with a good reel, not sure how you can go wrong. I have caught everything from Bluegill to small tuna on it (5-7lb range). It goes with me pretty much everywhere.

The Fenwick Methods rods might be something to look at as well, for a heavier setup.

Otherwise a tenkara setup or a 7wt-9wt fly rod with a reel with good drag.

will agree with all said above. St Croix and Fenwick both make great pack rods. fully functional rods. You will not notices that it is a multi piece rod.

treillw

WKR
I love all the St. Croix rods I have - packable and otherwise. I also have a sage 4 piece fly rod that is nice, but I prefer the St. Croixs. The action on the sage is a lot more noodley (which is just a preference), the grip feels too large to me for the rod weight (also preference), and I wish that they would put dots on rod shaft to help you line the pieces up like the St Croix has.

I have never used one, but I can't imagine getting as much sensitivity out of a telescoping rod. Maybe it's just because I haven't looked, but I don't know of any respected manufactures that make a telescoping rod. The only one I ever saw was my buddy's cheap one that I believe he got at Sam's club. That's just my uneducated thoughts.....

boom

WKR
i just picked up an ultralight Okuma SST travel rod. mine is a 3-pc. it feels pretty awesome. it comes from the factory with a travel case. the case is nice. it might survive a trip strapped to a mountain mule. i pitched some weights around with my tiny Plueger reel. it has a nice action to it.

i am gonna catch a friggen Piranha with the thing. :)

Wapiti1

WKR
Fenwick medium weight Eagle travel pack rod. The 7 footer has been a good rod for me. It will handle fish up to 10 pounds pretty well.

Jeremy