Flying with your bow??

OP
TonySkyline
Here is the Plano case
5ee751777e428fc350ba37a87cec4308.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I dont think TSA will call you. They didnt even unlock the tsa approved locked. They literally just cut them all off! After done they ziptied where the locks were

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I just flew green bay wi to calgary alberta last sept / oct for a goat hunt in SE BC...on the way home TSA needed to inspect my gun...They contacted Delta who paged me overhead and when i didnt hear it (celebrating the trip in the bar accross from my gate) they called my cell phone for me to open the case...worked great

How does the lock deal go if there is a firearm in the case? I thought you locked it and maintained the only key.

2gbl
TSA website states only the owner of a case with firearm shal maintain the key or combination...i always keep a copy of that page in my travel documents

sneaky

"DADDY"
When my buddy flew out from Tennessee last year and killed his bull in Idaho, he had planned on shipping it back. Then he got the quote. Talked to the airline, he didn't want to pay that price either. He ended up renting a car and borrowed a cooler from me and drove back. Better check with your airline ahead of time, the rack getting shipped back is another fee. There's a reason so many guys drive out instead of flying. Sounds like you're on a time crunch so you'll just have to pay the piper.
Wow you guys. Thank you all for commenting. This has honestly been the most stressful part of planning this trip. I was planning to have the butcher mail the meat back to NY. I will be stressed enough flying for the first time and trying to keep track of everything. I will plan the financial part accordingly as I heard it is like $400 to ship back. If I wasn't going solo dolo, I might have tried to take it with me on the plane. Anyone else ship the meat back? Costs? At this point it looks like I'm going to install the new latches skb sent me. Will a tenzing 2200 fit as my carry on? If I can bring something bigger, I will but with how stiff that pack is, I am unsure of how it will fit in the overhead space. Again I have no clue how the carry on works as well. I plan to bring the majority of my important clothes in my carry on
Also do I have to leave a key for the case somewhere if I lock it???

R_burg

WKR
I dont lock my stuff. I did the first time I flew with my bow, but since then i came to the realization if TSA wants to F with your stuff, they will.

Also, I agree about the packing. Make your case easy to pack back up so if the TSA opens it, they can close it back up, lol.

I wouldnt be surprised if you are flying AA (I often end up on AA in and out of Syracuse) and I just noticed their oversize bag charge has increased to 200 bucks. F that. With Southwest you could buy a cooler that and pack it with 90 lbs of meat and pay 75 bucks (totaling 100 lbs). I bet thats a lot cheaper than shipping it.

stx.dead.I

Lil-Rokslider
I just flew green bay wi to calgary alberta last sept / oct for a goat hunt in SE BC...on the way home TSA needed to inspect my gun...They contacted Delta who paged me overhead and when i didnt hear it (celebrating the trip in the bar accross from my gate) they called my cell phone for me to open the case...worked great

Reckon the canadians are a lot nicer than the guys in london or johannesburg. Plus we dont have cell service in London or SA so that is relevant to OP

OP
TonySkyline
Well Idk how much meat ya get from an elk but I would Think it would be a heck of alot. Maybe to much to lug around by myself. I will probably have to just save up and unfortunately bite the bullet so to speak and pay for the shipping or maybe take as much as I can in what I can carry I guess. Sucks going solo for my first time but I've had 3 people bail on me allready so I'm not gonna try another and it's to late to get tags anyway. I even offered to pay someone the lodging and food fee ($750) to come with me and film but no one was up to the task. Lol. I was going to fly out and drive back with some coolers but after talking to a few truck drivers I know they said it would be a tough ride by myself 30+ hours. Screw that. That would add 2 more days into my vacation time and cut into my rut days off!!! Can't have that now. In 3 1/2 years I'll finally get 4 weeks vacation time and then I wouldn't mind...

sneaky

"DADDY"
I dont lock my stuff. I did the first time I flew with my bow, but since then i came to the realization if TSA wants to F with your stuff, they will.

Also, I agree about the packing. Make your case easy to pack back up so if the TSA opens it, they can close it back up, lol.

I wouldnt be surprised if you are flying AA (I often end up on AA in and out of Syracuse) and I just noticed their oversize bag charge has increased to 200 bucks. F that. With Southwest you could buy a cooler that and pack it with 90 lbs of meat and pay 75 bucks (totaling 100 lbs). I bet thats a lot cheaper than shipping it.
My buddy was flying Southwest. That's not what they quoted him lol.

R_burg

WKR
My buddy was flying Southwest. That's not what they quoted him lol.

Its on their website, not much to be debated.

Iirc I paid 150 last fall on AA? Looks like it's 200 now.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Its on their website, not much to be debated.

Iirc I paid 150 last fall on AA? Looks like it's 200 now.
Doesn't matter what they have printed on their website. When you're talking to them at the counter and they give you the price you can argue with them all day, not going to get you anywhere. At the end of it all, it was still cheaper for him to rent a car, load all the coolers and meat boxes in it, along with the rack and his two bags, and drive it all back.

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are killing me!! Im flying this September to Montana, I might just ship my bows after some of these comments.

KSP277

WKR
Flew back from Montana in 2014, pistol in a case, ammo, fishing gear, waders, and what not raised zero red flags with TSA. My 2 year olds sippy cup however treated like a claymore, cost me an hour of my time and a complimentary full body search. TSA IS THE DEVIL. Make rules up as they go along. Regardless what the air lines policy is or what’s on their website, your at the mercy of a pimple faced 19 year old kid on a power trip. I’ve been in law enforcement since I been and adult, and yet they never cease to amaze me. They do like to fondle and rearrange anything you’ve got under a lock and key.

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Years ago I was flying out of Idaho Falls. Had 2 rifles in my case with ammo, the TSA lady starts to tell me I cant have more than 5lbs of ammo, I said thats not true, she starts raising her voice, causing a bit of a commotion, and armed TSA agent comes over, asks whats going on, she tells him, he looks at her with a WTF expression, tells her to go over and help those people, in a voice that really said, go into the kitchen and make this man a sandwich lol. We BSd about the guns I had for a minute and I was on my way, chuckling the entire time.

OP
TonySkyline
Lol. That is crazy Ghost, from the comments I've read, it seems it depends on who you get. In your instance it could've gone either way but thank God, you got the better of the 2 people

Beendare

WKR
TSA website states only the owner of a case with firearm shal maintain the key or combination...i always keep a copy of that page in my travel documents

Yeah, not the same with a bow.

I don't lock my Nomad....and didn't used to lock my SKB. All of my expensive optics and such I carry on.

Now I have flown to Alaska with a locked pistol case inside of my Nomad. The process is; they require and inspection to insure the firearm is unloaded, then they re-lock and you hold the key until you arrive.
_________

Its worth reading the baggage rules of the airline you are flying with before ticket purchase. Some airlines are a lot more hunter friendly than others...and these are ever changing policies.

Beendare

WKR
The problem I used to have with my SKB [and I've seen it with the other hard cases] was arrows dislodging. I rigged a couple straps to hold them in place. Last thing you want is BH tipped arrows rattling around in there.
_________

Arrows? Easily solved with the Duffle type cases.....a PVC arrow tube with big 1" viewing holes drilled in it so TSA can see inside without having to take it apart.
_______
I typically pack an extra couple large soft duffles so I can bring boned out meat back with me.

Flying with your hunt gear forces you to refine and condense what you bring....a good thing!

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
I pack my arrows in a clear arrow tube within my skb. No need to open it as it is clear. The tube is adjustable with foam at both ends. I keep my broadhead packages and repackage my broadheads prior to flights, then put them in ziplocks.

I use a bow sling, so it helps protects my string and cables in the case. When backpacking I lay my sleeping bag between my gear and bow within the case.

When flying with a pistol I throw it on top of my clothes or sleeping bag next to my bow with the action open and empty clip next to it. I pack my ammo in the manufacture’s packaging next to the pistol. Since the pistol isn’t in its own case I put locks on the skb. I’ve yet to have tsa or airline personnel ask to see if anything is under the sleeping bag.

When flying overseas (no pistol / no lock) I have had my case run through every trip . I split up any duplicate gear (ex. multiple packs of broadheads) in multiple ziplocks. Hopefully they will notice if a gallon ziplock falls on the floor. If they intentionally take a ziplock I should still be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
Funny story...during my first trip to Africa I found some machetes that I really liked. I ended up stashing a dozen in the bottom of my skb. I guess they showed up going through X-ray in Atlanta so I got to visit with tsa. Apparently machetes are more dangerous than archery equipment. On my second trip I only brought home 6. I didn’t get called down to talk to tsa on that trip so apparently the limit is somewhere less than 12 machetes.

OP
TonySkyline
Funny story...during my first trip to Africa I found some machetes that I really liked. I ended up stashing a dozen in the bottom of my skb. I guess they showed up going through X-ray in Atlanta so I got to visit with tsa. Apparently machetes are more dangerous than archery equipment. On my second trip I only brought home 6. I didn’t get called down to talk to tsa on that trip so apparently the limit is somewhere less than 12 machetes.

What kind of machetes were they? Cold steel or something local? I'm obsessed with knives and just started yet another addiction that my fiance wants to kill me for. (At least it's better than drugs but might cost more). Lol. I just ordered a nice stainless esee 4 to take with me to Montana on this elk hunt. Hope it's cool to bring with my bow? Again not sure how all that works with Delta.

7Bartman

WKR
I use my plano case and remove some of the foam lining and replace with my clothing. I place my firearm in my alpz frame pack (other checked bag with SW). Last year, I bought 2 cheap Wal-mart coolers and brought back 50lbs in each (I gave my buddy in Idaho the other half of the elk). I talk about some of the logistical challenges in this video.
Gear breakdown for DIY Elk Hunt - YouTube