Backpacking Sleeping Bag

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve figured out many times the lighter the better for a backpack hunt. I scaled down and lightened up a lot of my gear. Instead of bringing my 85mm spotter I got a 65, instead of using my MRC 300wsm I got a kimber Montana 308. But the last big item I could cut back on is my sleeping bag. I have a kifaru slick bag 0 degree. Great bag. Only thing is it’s 4.25lbs and doesn’t compress like a down bag. I was worried about going to a down bag in case I got my bag wet. Has anybody had a bad experience with a down bag? Will the extra compression and weight savings be worth it over my synthetic bag? Lots of talk about Western Mountaineering bags, are they worth it?

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
whats up brush buster :) i have the same questions. i recently just purchased an EE 30 degree quilt for early season only thing is compression, but it comes in at 25 ounces, thinking bout getting a warmer down bag for cooler weather as well. curious to see what people say !

Davebuech

WKR
I think it depends on the climate you will encounter where you will be using it the most. If you plan to be in rainy BC for example where the sun rarely shines and spending extended periods in the backcountry with no stove, I would consider taking the synthetic bag. For most everywhere else, especially the dry parts of the west, I have 2 WM bags and IMO they are well worth the investment. They pack smaller and are lighter than any of the synthetics I own or have tried. I guess I have been lucky, but never had trouble with down. I have used them on canoe and whitewater kayaking trips, winter camping, during extended periods of rain and in many heavy downpours. For me, where I live and hunt, the warmth/weight ratio and space saving of down by far offsets any "risk" of them becoming useless when wet.
Just one persons opinion though and your mileage may vary!

Rokwiia

WKR
The problem with most sleeping bag temperature ratings is how reliable they really are. The ratings from two companies, Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends, you can take to the bank. That alone makes it worth it for some people...piece of mind.

If I could have only one bag, it would be down. No question about it. I've migrated from a bag to a quilt and have an EE 10F quilt. I've also migrated from one to a two bag/quilt in severely cold weather.

I have two WM bags and the quality is spectacular. One is a -5F bag, the other a 35F bag. In 0F-10F weather, I now bring my 32F WM and my 10F EE quilt and use the quilt on top. I'll likely never use my -5F WM again unless I go out in -10F and I don't foresee that.

If I had to do it all over again and didn't have a bag, I would get a down bag and a synthetic quilt if going in weather down to 0F. If going out in weather from 30F-50F, I'd get a 0F down quilt or a 10 down bag and call it a day.

Welcome. I don’t have enough experience to offer a solid thought. I started a thread in sleep systems about winter bags and it seems most go with a 0-10 degree for late season.

I have backpacked for years with a 20 degree bag using a woobie and a bivy for colder weather. I have done 0 degrees in that set up but wouldn’t want to make a habit of it so am looking to add a better cold bag to my line up.

I currently run a montbell burrow bag for summer and warm temps. I have been circling the apex version of an EE convert. $250. 2 lbs. quilt bag hybrid makes it a reasonable camp and glassing blanket.

For later season I think a mummy bag and down are better suited. Western mountaineering is popping up in a lot of suggestions.