Yellowstone/Jackson Hole/Idaho Falls trip recommendation

7Bartman

WKR
Hey guys, taking the wife and kids on a trip to Montana in 2 weeks. Plan is to fly into Billings and head through the Beartooth down into the Lamar Valley and hit the boiling river. Then headed up to Bozeman to the brother-in-laws house for a few days and then down to Jackson. My specific ask is for things to do with my kids in Jackson Hole and Idaho Falls. More specifically, taking them fishing (maybe a put in take place where they're pretty much guaranteed to catch a trout) and some type of mining place in either location. We fly out of SLC so if you have any interesting suggestions for a day trip there that would be good. My kids are 9 and 6 and love outdoor activities. Museums would be a no. Any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks in advance,
Bart

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
Boiling river was closed when we were there last week due to hazardous conditions. If the water run off has decreased it might be open by time your going. Hot springs and hikes around those areas my kids enjoyed. Tubing the Henry’s fork of the snake river was fun, cold but fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
7Bartman

7Bartman

WKR
Thanks for the heads up. I was really hoping to take them there. I did that trip last year and I figured they'd like it.

South of Idaho Falls about an hour is Lava Hot Springs, big naturally heated pools, water slides and tubing on the river, could be fun for your kids. Couple of put and take ponds around Idaho Falls; just to the north is Roberts Gravel pond, nice quiet, tons of perch and plenty of trout. Right in town is Ryder Park, small heavily stocked trout pond. Both locations are very easy access and nice bank fishing for kids.

-dan

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
What ages are the kids ?

If you fly fish while in the Park. Take them for a walk along Blacktail Deer Creek. You'll catch plenty of Brookies.

For Jackson, my family enjoyed the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort. All kinds of outdoor activites. Some pricey, some not too bad. Walking the down town is nice. You'll have to take pictures at the Antler Arch.

Absolutely introduce them to Huckleberry Ice Cream.

We took a lift up a ski slope, more like a mountain, when we stayed in Jackson last year. They may enjoy that.

Takem

WKR
I'll be curious to hear how it goes. I'm taking my family the first week of September. We're starting in Cody for an antelope hunt. Then to West Yellowstone for a few days and Jackson Lake for 3 nights. My kids are 8 and 5 and sound like your kids.

I know you said no museums but that Dino museum in Bozeman is bad ass.

The grizzly and wolf discovery center in west Yellowstone was cool too.

Takem

WKR
7Bartman how was your trip? Did you happen to find any fishing in the Jackson area for the kids? I'm heading up there in two weeks with my wife, 8 year old daughter and 5 year old son.

Last edited:
OP
7Bartman

7Bartman

WKR
It was a great trip. Sorry for not sharing stories, but it's really a pain to upload pics. In Jackson, there is a fish hatchery right outside of town. I found this to be a good place to take a young kid for a couple of hours. I also took the kids to the SnowKing resort for one day. They rode some mountain coasters and slides. We also took the lift to the top of the mountain. It wasn't cheap but we had a lot of fun. Finished the day with some huckleberry ice cream downtown (don't skip this).
I managed to catch my first cutthroat in Yellowstone and caught a few more outside of Bozeman. Took a float down the Madison and did some swimming in the firehole river in Yellowstone.

Takem

WKR
It was a great trip. Sorry for not sharing stories, but it's really a pain to upload pics. In Jackson, there is a fish hatchery right outside of town. I found this to be a good place to take a young kid for a couple of hours. I also took the kids to the SnowKing resort for one day. They rode some mountain coasters and slides. We also took the lift to the top of the mountain. It wasn't cheap but we had a lot of fun. Finished the day with some huckleberry ice cream downtown (don't skip this).
I managed to catch my first cutthroat in Yellowstone and caught a few more outside of Bozeman. Took a float down the Madison and did some swimming in the firehole river in Yellowstone.

Thank you. Sounds like a good time