Utah senator Mike Lee - attacking Public Lands

Shadow14

WKR
The job of the Supreme Court is not to legislate but to determine if a law or case is constitutional. Lee is for a limited federal government which I personally find refreshing, but this naturally means that he believes in local and state regulation/control. Giving control of the land back to the states does not automatically mean they will be sold or there will be limited access. The Federal government frankly does not have any business being in control of 640 million acres of land. Granted this is a complicated issue and I certainly dont have the answers but from a principle standpoint, the federal government should be scaled way back. Mike Lee would make a fabulous supreme court judge and is one of the very few decent, intelligent and constitutionally sound people we have in Washington.

The job of the Supreme Court is not to legislate but to determine if a law or case is constitutional. Lee is for a limited federal government which I personally find refreshing, but this naturally means that he believes in local and state regulation/control. Giving control of the land back to the states does not automatically mean they will be sold or there will be limited access. The Federal government frankly does not have any business being in control of 640 million acres of land. Granted this is a complicated issue and I certainly dont have the answers but from a principle standpoint, the federal government should be scaled way back. Mike Lee would make a fabulous supreme court judge and is one of the very few decent, intelligent and constitutionally sound people we have in Washington.

I don’t disagree with the Feds ability to screw things up, but the transfer of public lands has an abysmal track record for retaining public lands. As soon as the state fails to maintain funding for these lands, they sell the property off. I don’t like the feds, but the ability to keep the lands going is top priority while searching for means of funding. There is so much waste in the fed budget that they likely have enough between all that waste to fund the preservation of public grounds for public use.

Giving control of the land back to the states does not automatically mean they will be sold or there will be limited access.

This sentence means you haven’t done enough digging on this subject, as it does. It’s a proven track record, along with state constitutions forcing fiscal requirements.

The Federal government frankly does not have any business being in control of 640 million acres of land.

I’d be interested in why you think this? As constitutionally they do.

You call him constitutionally sound, and yet this is the complete opposite.

TheTone

WKR
Is it time for the hunting community to boycott Utah based hunting companies? There are a pile of them and certainly a business hurting should raise these politicians concerns since they are in love with money so much.

wapitibob

WKR
"Giving control of the land back to the states does not automatically mean they will be sold or there will be limited access."

You might use your googlefoo to research state land access in the west.

brocksw

WKR
I don't believe the states have any business being in control of millions of acres of land either. The state of North Dakota has sold off over 70% of the state school trust lands that were allocated to them by the federal government in the enabling act of 1889.

That's just 1 state and 1 example within that state...and were talking over a million and a half acres gone.

You severely underestimate the greed in this country. Do us all a favor and educate yourself so your vote can mean something on this issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2five7

WKR
Is it time for the hunting community to boycott Utah based hunting companies? There are a pile of them and certainly a business hurting should raise these politicians concerns since they are in love with money so much.
Hurting private business owners to get back at politicians is not the way to go about this.

elkduds

WKR

I have been, for over 2 years. You are cordially invited to join me. I don't spend $ w any UT-based company, and I tell them why.

netman

WKR
I sent my response to Senator Lee yesterday. A short time later I received a email from BHA with links to my own senators here in Indiana. I followed the prompts from BHA and already received email from one senator thanking me for my input.
We have to stay true to the cause.

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Its amazing how many Utahans think this way as well. Apparently success is measured by the amount of houses being built a month.

Its not just Utahns - I grew up in SLC - its Colorado as well. Economic growth is king and the environment and our well being be damn - the wildlife as well.

CorbLand

WKR
Its not just Utahns - I grew up in SLC - its Colorado as well. Economic growth is king and the environment and our well being be damn - the wildlife as well.

I talk to so many that have this mentality that it’s a natural resource and it just comes back, no matter what we do to it. They are so ignorant to the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't live in Utah then it's none of your business, I'm sick of you people that think that you have a right to force your preferences on everybody else, if Utah wants to turn their entire state in to a parking lot then that's their business, they live there you don't.

I live in Montana and I get sick and tired of people from out of state that think they have a right to influence our elections and decisions on land use. Keep you noses out of other people's business unless it effects your personal property or person.

brocksw

WKR
If you don't live in Utah then it's none of your business, I'm sick of you people that think that you have a right to force your preferences on everybody else, if Utah wants to turn their entire state in to a parking lot then that's their business, they live there you don't.

I live in Montana and I get sick and tired of people from out of state that think they have a right to influence our elections and decisions on land use. Keep you noses out of other people's business unless it effects your personal property or person.
It's federal land bud. Doesn't matter what state you live in...they use my tax money just as much as yours. You don't like it... Move somewhere with no federal and publicly owned land.

Billinsd

WKR
I talk to so many that have this mentality that it’s a natural resource and it just comes back, no matter what we do to it. They are so ignorant to the past.

I don't really understand what your saying? Do people actually think after you build houses and malls the land will come back? Land can be mined and lumbered and come back. Pristine, of course not. The country is being flooded with immigrants, especially at the border and people like me are moving out of California. Most people don't want to live huddled close together, they want to spread out. it's mostly a overpopulation issue. If you all truly want to keep all this federal land to recreate on, then we gotta get a handle on all the people coming into our country. We gotta stop illegal immigration and greatly decrease legal immigration. More and more immigrants, our native rebirth is low, require more resources and land. We don't like it, but we cannot stop it, or slow it down much. I've witnessed this in my birthplace 15 miles from Disneyland with nothing but orange groves and horse ranches and few people. As a kid, I hated the growth and pulled suvey stakes out of the ground to try and stop it. My home town has grown from 8,000 to over 150,000. The way we are headed Utah will become a parking lot too. I remember SLC in the 70s. It ain't like that now. The country is full and overflowing with immigrants, that's the core issue.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
I don't really understand what your saying? Do people actually think after you build houses and malls the land will come back? Land can be mined and lumbered and come back. Pristine, of course not. The country is being flooded with immigrants, especially at the border and people like me are moving out of California. Most people don't want to live huddled close together, they want to spread out. it's mostly a overpopulation issue. If you all truly want to keep all this federal land to recreate on, then we gotta get a handle on all the people coming into our country. We gotta stop illegal immigration and greatly decrease legal immigration. More and more immigrants, our native rebirth is low, require more resources and land. We don't like it, but we cannot stop it, or slow it down much. I've witnessed this in my birthplace 15 miles from Disneyland with nothing but orange groves and horse ranches and few people. As a kid, I hated the growth and pulled suvey stakes out of the ground to try and stop it. My home town has grown from 8,000 to over 150,000. The way we are headed Utah will become a parking lot too. I remember SLC in the 70s. It ain't like that now. The country is full and overflowing with immigrants, that's the core issue.

Simply put they view it as ground sitting idle is a waste and it should be used. They don’t view it as valuable to have untouched land. So they would rather see houses, grain fields and roads over a mountain side.

You are wrong. This is FEDERAL land. That means that my tax money goes into it. If I want to put a bit in peoples ear in order to allow my tax money to continue being spent on this land, you bet your sweet cookie I’m gonna do it. I see what privatized land has done to hunting in my state, and I don’t want to see more of the land that I personally have ownership of go this way. I look at it like this: the government misallocates so much of my money each year that I will not have the wool pulled over my eyes when they try and tell me that they just cannot possibly keep these lands going. They’re trying to get rid of their expense and I can guarantee you that my taxes won’t decrease because of it. They just want to keep spending the same money on things with which I don’t agree. This is how our givernmental system works. To tell folks that they should just stay quiet is an attempt to stifle the very thing that makes this country what it is. If you have a constructive solution or argument to why these lands should change hands, please share. If you’re just going to tell others to stop talking, perhaps you should heed your own advice.

Billinsd

WKR
It's federal land bud. Doesn't matter what state you live in...they use my tax money just as much as yours. You don't like it... Move somewhere with no federal and publicly owned land.

It doesn't matter now, but it could in the near future. I tend to agree with ramot. He lives there, I do not. I prefer the locals to decide. However, like others say, the locals may just sell off the land, which I personally may not like. It's a real difficult issue to me. I'm torn both ways. Ideally there will be compromises.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

that's a pretty intelligent post right there from the guy that wants to vote for the out of state land developer- more parking lots, I hear the elk hunting can be pretty good there during the rut

CorbLand

WKR
Utah senator Mike Lee - attacking publkcamds

It doesn't matter now, but it could in the near future. I tend to agree with ramot. He lives there, I do not. I prefer the locals to decide. However, like others say, the locals may just sell off the land, which I personally may not like. It's a real difficult issue to me. I'm torn both ways. Ideally there will be compromises.

Welcome to the problem with politics. Just because I agree with something doesn’t mean I like it. I would love to see the states have more rights and have the people that live there makes the choices but the bottom line is the states have made it clear that they can’t support the land they have/had. Why would we give them more?