Utah senator Mike Lee - attacking Public Lands

Billinsd

WKR
Simply put they view it as ground sitting idle is a waste and it should be used. They don’t view it as valuable to have untouched land. So they would rather see houses, grain fields and roads over a mountain side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK I see and hear where you are coming from. I think the issue is the enormous quantity of idle federal land, most of which is not mountainous. Many Conservatives, think number 1, the federal government has gotten too powerful and has too many regulations on federal and private adjacent land and needs to get deregulated, and less powerful. That would be me. 2nd, there is a lot of blm land that is not mountainous, and not many people use it for hunting or fishing. Some of that land and other land could be opened up for development. 3rd, some think that having housing, jobs, food to eat and gas to drive to work is more of a priority than hunting. It's not just one or the other to me. I'm way over on the development side of the spectrum, because my dad was a developer and I'm a civil engineer. I belive people need jobs, and a place to live. I'm not all the way over on that side, because I'm an avid outdoorsman and spend all my time on federal public land. That's my passion and I want to pass it on to future generations. Developers and civil engineers provide a service. If there were no new births or immigrants we wouldn't really need developers or civil engineers much. I hear you all about the big companies buying up land, influencing politicians and locking out hunters. I believe you and don't like that either. I'm also extremely biased living in California against anything liberal, especially environmentalists. I haven't grown up in Utah and it's difficult for me to see wrong in your Conservative elected officials, because I'm so conservative on most issues. However, most all politiians are bad and I believe a lot of what you all are saying.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
If you don't live in Utah then it's none of your business, I'm sick of you people that think that you have a right to force your preferences on everybody else, if Utah wants to turn their entire state in to a parking lot then that's their business, they live there you don't.

I live in Montana and I get sick and tired of people from out of state that think they have a right to influence our elections and decisions on land use. Keep you noses out of other people's business unless it effects your personal property or person.
This is a good argument to me. I'm real sympthetic to Ramont's frustration. I see the other side's anxiety of losing acces. It's a conundrum to me. The whole damn thing is a conundrum to me.

Billinsd

WKR
Call and phone Mike Lee that most hunters are Conservatives who otherwise support him and will leave him over his aggressive stance on this issue. That's what I would do.

amassi

WKR
"3rd, some think that having housing, jobs, food to eat and gas to drive to work is more of a priority than hunting. It's not just one or the other to me. I'm way over on the development side of the spectrum, because my dad was a developer and I'm a civil engineer. "

Assuming were really running out of room to house, employ and grow food, our very own California is home to millions of acres of farmland in the san Joaquin desert. It's no longer viable farmland since they insist on growing water sensitive crops in a desert for an overseas market that will close thanks to the impending trade war.

Our governor is even going to ruin the largest estuary in the west coast to pipe water down there, so there will be water for the new communities. Plenty of wind and sun for renewable energy

Plenty of room for people there, no need to ruin some of the last open spaces with big beige boxes and walmarts

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
Utah senator Mike Lee - attacking publkcamds

OK I see and hear where you are coming from. I think the issue is the enormous quantity of idle federal land, most of which is not mountainous. Many Conservatives, think number 1, the federal government has gotten too powerful and has too many regulations on federal and private adjacent land and needs to get deregulated, and less powerful. That would be me. 2nd, there is a lot of blm land that is not mountainous, and not many people use it for hunting or fishing. Some of that land and other land could be opened up for development. 3rd, some think that having housing, jobs, food to eat and gas to drive to work is more of a priority than hunting. It's not just one or the other to me. I'm way over on the development side of the spectrum, because my dad was a developer and I'm a civil engineer. I belive people need jobs, and a place to live. I'm not all the way over on that side, because I'm an avid outdoorsman and spend all my time on federal public land. That's my passion and I want to pass it on to future generations. Developers and civil engineers provide a service. If there were no new births or immigrants we wouldn't really need developers or civil engineers much. I hear you all about the big companies buying up land, influencing politicians and locking out hunters. I believe you and don't like that either. I'm also extremely biased living in California against anything liberal, especially environmentalists. I haven't grown up in Utah and it's difficult for me to see wrong in your Conservative elected officials, because I'm so conservative on most issues. However, most all politiians are bad and I believe a lot of what you all are saying.

I will never say the Federal government does a great job at managing the land. I wish we could increase logging, drilling, mineral extraction, etc. They are all important to local economies but there has to be a balance. The economy was great when market hunting was allowed.

Another thing. I don’t understand why people think BLM land is worthless. I grew up surrounded by BLM land. That’s all I hunted on until I moved to Utah. It was fantastic.

Last edited:

BuzzH

WKR
If you don't live in Utah then it's none of your business, I'm sick of you people that think that you have a right to force your preferences on everybody else, if Utah wants to turn their entire state in to a parking lot then that's their business, they live there you don't.

I live in Montana and I get sick and tired of people from out of state that think they have a right to influence our elections and decisions on land use. Keep you noses out of other people's business unless it effects your personal property or person.

Says the guy that moved into Montana from out of state. Take your own advice...tuffy.

For the record, I'll comment on Federal Public Land Policy in any State that I want my voice heard. That's the beauty of Federal lands, the locals that only think about the amount of money they can make off Federal lands don't get to decide the fate of MY public lands. Federal Lands belong to 320 million people, no way should a handful of locals get their way on every issue.

Thankfully, that's exactly the way it works...so get used to it.

S.Clancy

WKR
I will never say the Federal government does a great job at managing the land. I wish we could increase logging, drilling, mineral extraction, etc. They are all important to local economies but there has to be a balance. The economy was great when market hunting was allowed.

Another thing. I don’t understand why people think BLM land is worthless. I grew up surrounded by BLM land. That’s all I hunted on until I moved to Utah. It was fantastic.

I think everyone should look more into the reasons that logging/mining/mineral extraction/etc. have been going down on federal lands. I'll give you a hint, it's the same reason it took almost a decade to get a wolf season after recovery and the reason the new grizzly season may be canceled this year in the West. Simply blaming only federal agencies is myopic.

Billinsd

WKR

BLM land "looks" worthless to most. I know it's not. I've spent more time on BLM land than forest land by far!! You and I are in agreement!!!

Billinsd

WKR
"3rd, some think that having housing, jobs, food to eat and gas to drive to work is more of a priority than hunting. It's not just one or the other to me. I'm way over on the development side of the spectrum, because my dad was a developer and I'm a civil engineer. "

Assuming were really running out of room to house, employ and grow food, our very own California is home to millions of acres of farmland in the san Joaquin desert. It's no longer viable farmland since they insist on growing water sensitive crops in a desert for an overseas market that will close thanks to the impending trade war.

Our governor is even going to ruin the largest estuary in the west coast to pipe water down there, so there will be water for the new communities. Plenty of wind and sun for renewable energy

Plenty of room for people there, no need to ruin some of the last open spaces with big beige boxes and walmarts

California is lost in my opinion. I was born and raised here. Reagan was Governor once. It's hard for me to leave, especially the weather, but I will soon.

amassi

WKR
All the more reason to stuff it with development and in the way people

mtmuley

WKR
Says the guy that moved into Montana from out of state. Take your own advice...tuffy.

For the record, I'll comment on Federal Public Land Policy in any State that I want my voice heard. That's the beauty of Federal lands, the locals that only think about the amount of money they can make off Federal lands don't get to decide the fate of MY public lands. Federal Lands belong to 320 million people, no way should a handful of locals get their way on every issue.

Thankfully, that's exactly the way it works...so get used to it.

"Transplants require special treatment". mtmuley

NoWiser

WKR

The hell if it isn't my business. We are talking about FEDERAL land here. The name says it all. It belongs equally to all citizens of this nation. Not only is it my land, it's my daughter's land, my future grandkid's land, and their kids. What give this generation the right to cash in on that land and deprive all future generations of enjoying it?

Utah can do whatever they want with their state lands. I couldn't possibly care less. But they sure as heck better keep their grubby little hands off of our federal lands.

CorbLand

WKR
I think everyone should look more into the reasons that logging/mining/mineral extraction/etc. have been going down on federal lands. I'll give you a hint, it's the same reason it took almost a decade to get a wolf season after recovery and the reason the new grizzly season may be canceled this year in the West. Simply blaming only federal agencies is myopic.

I agree with you and when talking to most people about this subject, that is my main subject. Stop blaming the government for the problems and blame the people that cause the problems. But in Utah most dont believe that because if you support any form of government, well you might as well be from California.

Trial153

WKR
You know what i never hear from the pro transfer crowd? Paying a fair price to the federal government that refects the value of the land.
There is rougly 37 million acres of federal land in utah.. come up with a fair price and make us an offer. Lets say 1000 an acre? Whats that 37 trillon? ..yea with a T.
Utah had a rough GDP of about 120 billion. Good luck financing that.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
You know what i never hear from the pro transfer crowd? Paying a fair price to the federal government that refects the value of the land.
There is rougly 37 million acres of federal land in utah.. come up with a fair price and make us an offer. Lets say 1000 an acre? Whats that 37 trillon? ..yea with a T.
Utah had a rough GDP of about 120 billion. Good luck financing that.

That would be 37 Billion

Trial153

WKR
That would be 37 Billion

It could be 37 cents and they still didnt offer a freaking dime. All they are looking for is a hand out.

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
I have never been to Utah, but I can't think of a state or moderately sized city I have been to, that did not have areas needing revitalization. Maybe we should start with these before annexing forest for the concrete jungle.

I am conservative on most subjects and have a generally positive opinion of Senator Lee, but can't board this train.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
That would be 37 Billion

Impressive. The lower 48 states are comprised of 1.9B acres of land and yet Utah has 37B of public land. What a state.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Impressive. The lower 48 states are comprised of 1.9B acres of land and yet Utah has 37B of public land. What a state.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I was replying to the incorrectly answered math problem from the post above mine.
Utah= 37million acres
$1000 usd /acre
37 billion dollars if Utah bought that land from the feds.

Mt Al

WKR
The hell if it isn't my business. We are talking about FEDERAL land here. The name says it all. It belongs equally to all citizens of this nation. Not only is it my land, it's my daughter's land, my future grandkid's land, and their kids. What give this generation the right to cash in on that land and deprive all future generations of enjoying it?

Utah can do whatever they want with their state lands. I couldn't possibly care less. But they sure as heck better keep their grubby little hands off of our federal lands.

^^^This!! It's every citizen of the US's land, not just people who live near it.