Using dogs for pack animals

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
I hog hunt with dogs in Oklahoma and raise and breed Dogo’s as my catch dogs. Over the next year I’m going to be training these dogs to be dual purpose dogs for packing meat. Anyone else use pack dogs? Got the idea from Dustin Roe and it looks so legit.

His look to be a mix breed, maybe mastiff, Rottweiler, and or lab mix?? I’m going to have to rig up some packs for them and if anyone has done this and has some pack designs I’m very interested in talking with you.
d130260f55a4afa84bcd94e0f1106073.png
38a8555eaaa12318e88146d5adb961f4.png
72167a047862c4361dbd63558110c903.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tater

WKR
I used my English Mastiff cross for a couple of years. I had a custom pack and harness for him that my Dad built based on a Ruffwear rig. I still get maudlin when i find it in my gear stash, but i refuse to get rid of it.

There is a sweetspot age wise with larger breed dogs around not using too much weight too quickly when they are young (can be hard on joints), and then having them be capable before they age out. I love mastiff breeds, but they are heart breakers.

I had an english style chocolate lab that was rescue that would have been perfect if i got him five years earlier in his life.

Either way, it is great having your best buddy out with you for days at a time. Enjoy it.

ColeKira

FNG
My chocolate lab cant control herself around venison. She's a blood tracking dog and knows when i come home with a deer before I even walk inside!

OP
J

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
963442974a7c3f8b2f07ff92970e8029.png
here is one of my Dogo’s. He’s about a 100lbs in fighting weight. Control will be the biggest part.... that’s why he won’t be ready for this year, but will for next. He’s 4 now and really strong. I would guess they are as strong as mastiffs and are def built to run. So endurance wouldn’t be a problem.

CorbLand

WKR
I think gritty bowmen did a podcast with someone on this subject that had a ton of information in it.

I've never considered it and my current dog ( Queensland)does his best to chase away any living creature within sight making him a NO GO for hunting. I have a decent amount of experience with schutzhund training Rottweilers and some Shepards but no hunting dogs. As far as packing any weight goes I would think a dog would be more work than its worth BUT I have never put the time in to research a specific breed for this or into creating a hybrid for packing use. Interesting topic. It would need to be a dog that can handle the elements , have endurance, and carry weight to start with .

I think overheating would be a major liability even for a well conditioned dog. Probably not an issue in the later seasons but early bow season would be a non starter in my area for my working labs.

In some areas its illegal to use a dog for tracking wounded game (stupid rule imo) It would probably be hard to convince a gamey bent on writing a ticket that the dog was just used for packing and not involved in the hunt whatsoever.

I really can’t imagine it being worth it. Dogs just aren’t designed to haul much weight, plus they’ve already got to carry the food they’re going to eat for the week. If a 100 lb dog can carry a 30 lb pack without having joint problems or overheating, and the pack/food/dog supplies weighs 10 lbs, you’re looking at a 20 lb payload.

Not to mention by the time a dog is calm enough to hang around camp all day, you’ve probably got 3-4 years before their joints start to decline when carrying weight in rough terrain. I’d also be upset if I came back to camp and found that a bear had killed the dogs I tied up or some hippy had “freed” them.

Goats are a better option of you’ve got an acre or so of land. They can carry 50 lbs each and don’t need to take any food with them.

OregonInAlaska

Lil-Rokslider
I take my blue heeler with me on solo sheep hunts. She doesn’t really pack much weight other then her own food. I wouldn’t put more then 8-10 pounds on her, but hey that’s 8-10 less then I have to carry!

wyodan

WKR
I used to hunt with my old dog all the time. He helped me pack out a couple deer, and was with me when I shot my best elk. I’m trying to train a new dog, but he’s another year or so out before taking him hunting.
91523f785c5c762d6c2c13b11b6ea072.jpg
ffd75988861d42d43c535064e4983863.jpg

wytx

WKR
I would talk with GW where you plan to hunt. I had an very interesting conversation with one we know quite well about hunting with dogs.
He told me if he or another warden saw that dog give any indication to big game animals being near he would consider it hunting with a dog and write you up.
Kind of opened my eyes to taking a dog in the field.
This was a Wyoming Game Warden.

wyodan

WKR
I would talk with GW where you plan to hunt. I had an very interesting conversation with one we know quite well about hunting with dogs.
He told me if he or another warden saw that dog give any indication to big game animals being near he would consider it hunting with a dog and write you up.
Kind of opened my eyes to taking a dog in the field.
This was a Wyoming Game Warden.

I’ve have a buddy who told me he had the same problem with a warden in his area. But the 3 wardens in my part of the state told me they’ve got no problem with me taking my dog along. He certainly wasn’t improving my chance of success.

wytx

WKR
I’ve have a buddy who told me he had the same problem with a warden in his area. But the 3 wardens in my part of the state told me they’ve got no problem with me taking my dog along. He certainly wasn’t improving my chance of success.

Good to hear. Makes me wonder though which warden you may get in the field.
Never thought about it till that conversation, same with using your headlights to look at an animal by the road, better not have a gun in the vehicle if you do. That one surprised me too, huntin with a light they would call it.

Nice looking dogs, hope they all enjoy their backcountry time!!

I’m pretty sure there’s specific laws about blood tracking that wood have to be followed going after a wounded animal with a dog. If I remember correctly, a lot of western states don’t even allow blood tracking, and the ones that do might require the dog to be leashed.

K9 foot structure is a problem waiting to happen using them as pack animals not to mention the legal implications in some areas.

Alpacas, Lamas, and goats make far better and lower maintenance small pack animals then dogs. They taste better then dogs should the need arise

SoCalHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Although the strong working dog can handle some weight it does not mean it is good for him/her. They are designed to pull, run and chase down animals throughout their bodies, including the footpad. They have tremendous endurance in these respects (see the iditarod). I view them much more as a companion than a pack animal in the back country.

Just my $0.02 and no disrespect meant to any who disagree with me.