Vortex Challenge 2018

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Man, Ryan and Matt were on FIRE!! Avery is about the luckiest guy around.......ended up drawing a great prize and an early start time after a really shady re-draw..... Still ain't sure about that one. In any case, we drew a late start which put us in the heat of the day and timed it so when we were just starting out, Ryan and Matt ended up being behind us for their second part of the course and it was our first part. There are two sides to the course and they alternate which way and what time you head out. So, when Mark (elkhunter777) and I were done and left, they were getting set up to shoot their stage of fire. And all we heard when we were busting up the ridge were these yahoos slamming steel. And they did it all day long. The 28 nosler makes a BIG whack when it collides with steel.
We of course couldn't hit anything as we were continuously being harassed by Team Avery.
It was a blast as usual but it was hotter than hell. The location rocks and thanks to Vortex!
And nice meeting you Matt. Gotta watch that company you keep....:p

Randy

Good times!

You guys had the best jerseys! Team Hawaii 5-0. Haha
b76b46ce5c0524f8b3a8dac9786da670.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I think Im interested in trying it, but just for the experience. I would not be high on the score board, but it sounds fun.

It’s really a good test for hunting. You find your limits really fast. Plus they now have a hunter division. The rifle has to be under 10 pounds.

It’s really a good test for hunting. You find your limits really fast. Plus they now have a hunter division. The rifle has to be under 10 pounds.

One of the podcasts I was listening to had the guy from Vortex talking about it. It might have been your podcast. It sounded like fun. I think I have my wife on board to do it next year

Is the hunter division for solo people or is it for teams as well? I'd love to try it, but my brother doesn't have enough vacation time to do this and go hunting.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Is the hunter division for solo people or is it for teams as well? I'd love to try it, but my brother doesn't have enough vacation time to do this and go hunting.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

It’s a team event. Ask around,
bet you can find someone else that wants to go.

Fatcamp

WKR
So what was the maximum shot distance?

I wish I could see a video with some actual information from the course. We have looked at everything we can find, but haven't found anything from the actual day of competition.

One of our big questions is if our scopes are even capable of shooting that far. Not that buying new scopes would be out of the question, we just don't know.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The farthest shot this year was just over 1200 yards. With the average shot being about 650 yards. This year almost all targets had hit indicators on them. If I would of know this I would not of shot a 28 Nosler.

Fatcamp

WKR
So does each station have a range master who records your hits and misses? How do misses count? Do you keep shooting until you hit with a decreasing value with each shot?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Yes, there is a RO at each station. Each person shoots at a target twice. The first shot is worth 3 points the second is worth 1 points, a miss is 0 points. There are four targets at each station with 32 posable team points at each station.

Ryan, what power scope do you use for the Vortex challenge. Shooting those distances are not common in Michigan. Im trying to decide on a scope for my MPR 6.5 creed

Fatcamp

WKR
Same here. I think we will put a fixed 16X SWFA on my wife's new rifle, and as far as I can tell my Leupold 4.5-14 with an MOA dial might get out to 1200. Both rifles 6.5CM.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I used a Vortex AMG with a max power of 24. But it pretty much stayed on 18x during the match.

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Burris XTR II 4X20 on my AR-10 in 6.5 and have hit at 1200 with it. Anything around 20X should work.

Last edited: