New to long range

gabenzeke

WKR
So here's the deal, I've always been an archery hunter. But in the last few years I've become increasingly obsessed with hunting in the west (I live in Iowa). So now I'm looking at purchasing or potentially building a rifle for use in the west. I know I won't start out practicing at a thousand yards, but like the idea of potentially building out on the distance I can effectively shoot. So my first question is on caliber. I'm pretty much set on 30 caliber, but is it worth skipping the 300 win mag and looking at RUM or some of the others if I'm wanting to shoot 200 plus grain bullets? And if you were in my shoes, where would you start? Build a custom or look at something off the shelf? I dont want to say money is no object, but I do want to make a solid investment here and hope to add a suppressor in the future. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
If I were to buy a non-custom long range rig TODAY in 300 Win Mag, I'd look at the Seekins Havak, Christensen Ridgeline, and Fierce Fury.

They'll do everything you need and then some for about 1/2 the price of a full custom.

For a true budget rig I'd drop a tikka superlite into a Manners EH3 or Stockys VG2 and call it good at 1300 bucks out the door!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

JigStick

WKR
Theres no animal in NA that you can lay the smack down on with a 300 winmag. Id avoid the ultramag. You'll have much better factory ammo availability with the winmag, and if you reload much better brass choice.

300 win mag or 300wsm in the Christensen Ridgeline would be a tough western rifle to beat.

I am playing with a ridgeline now in 6.5 and really like it.

FURMAN

WKR
Good info above. Stay with the 300 to get your feet wet. It leaves little to be desired. I absolutely hate the Seekins action but I do believe it would be a great shooter. The Fierce rifles are overall a little nicer than the Christensens but both will be very accurate. I would start with some H1000 and Berger 215s.

rackcity24

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a limit you're going to spend? For me, I ended up saving up money for a few years and working as much overtime as I could get to buy a custom. Was it the right choice? I think for me yes. I am super happy that I did. Rbros built my 300 win mag and it shoots extremely. I'm not saying go that route but that's just my experience as of late with some research I did the last couple years. There are a bunch of good shooting rifles and rifle builders out there, and some other guys on here that are have a lot of experience also.

FURMAN

WKR
In my opinion what you get with a custom is exactly what you want. The problem is, with you being new to long range shooting, you do not know what you want. I would save the money and buy one of the mentioned rifles which will shoot under .5 moa unless you get a dud. The Fierce has a guarantee. After you've been shooting for awhile you will know what you like and don't like and you can think about building a rifle. I have had customs and I am currently shooting a Christensen Classic and a Fierce CT Edge. They both shoot with every custom I have owned.

gbflyer

WKR
.300 Win Mag is expensive to feed, if that’s a concern. You might consider a non-magnum to learn on. If you’re stuck on the .300 though, it’ll darn sure do the job.