700 long range or savage lrh

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
So it looks like I'm going to get a new rifle and I'm kinda sold on the idea of 300 win mag with 215 bergers. I'm thinking either the remington 700 long range or savage long range hunter. Id like to use it for elk out 1000 yds eventually. I like the looks and feel of remington better but I read a lot about how good the savages shoot. As always I appreciate any input.
Thanks
Colby

ST52v

WKR
If your not in a hurry it would be nice to wait and see how Broz makes out with his 700 long range 300 win. For $650-$700 I think it is a good buy. If you take the price of the stock off the starting price you are left with a Remington 700 action for a fair price. That leaves you with two good pieces to build off at a reasonable price. Worst case add a $300 bench mark barrel and some smith work and your off to long range banging. Just my thoughts ! Maybe some one else see it differently.

Broz

WKR
I have nothing against either brand. But my personal preference will go with the Rem 700. If you want to mod either consider there is everything and anything offered for the 700 Rem and the 700 Rem clone actions. They are like hopping up a small block chevy. Parts are available everywhere.

Jeff

privateer

FNG
Hoping to revive this post and get everyone's feedback. I'm in the same situation right now, looking at the rem 700 LR hunter and the new Savage 110 LR hunter.

Colby, did you end up buying one of the rifles? how did it work out? any regrets?

OP
C

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the savage lrh and put a NF shv on it. I sold it to a good buddy of mine and had Rbros build me a 300 on a Remington 700 action. Nothing wrong with the savage it is a great shooting gun. Obviously if you can swing it the Rbros is a nicer rifle, that does perform better but if budget is a main concern the savages that I’ve been around shoot real good.

desertcj

WKR
Savages don't have that bling factor, but they almost always shoot and that can't be said about factory Remingtons. Ymmv, just my opinion, etc., etc.....

I had a Savage LRH 6.5x284-- incredibly accurate rifle out of the box. For overall value the Savage wins over the 700LR and the LRH doesn't need anything added to it. I've never heard of anyone having issues with the savage LRHs-- I've heard the 700LRs can be hit or miss on accuracy and it seems most replace the trigger, get the barrel threaded, add a brake etc which means you're already into it for more than the Savage.