Sportsman's Challenge Small Game Shoot...Great Practice, Great Fun!

On January 18, Jessica and I shot in our first Small Game Shoot, put on by Caleb Hallet. Shawn Carlock, his son Tyler, and Ty's cousin, Nick, also shot in it. It was a blast! The course consisted of three stages, with five targets at each stage. The steel targets are cut to resemble animals as small as rockchucks and rabbits, up to life-size coyotes. Target distances ranged from 200 yards, to a rockchuck nestled into a rock bluff at 486 yards.

The shoot took place on Miller Ranch land, located west of Spokane, WA. The terrain is open and as soon as the fog lifted, the wind started blowing! We shot in variable wind from 8 to 17 mph:)

The course of fire was to engage five targets in five minutes. In our squad of nine shooters, the rifles ranged from full on tactical rigs sporting US Optics scopes, all the way down to a lightweight hunting rifle with a variable Leupold scope. Everybody was helpful, and we all spent time spotting shots and helping with corrections. It was a great environment for a new shooter, especially kids!

Jess did quite well, dropping only one point throughout the shoot. Nick was hot on her heels, and would have tied her but had trouble picking up the last target in the second stage. Not bad for a couple of young teenagers shooting in their first match!

The Small Game Shoot is limited to non-magnum calibers only. Shawn and I used our 260s, which are ideal for this kind of shooting. There were a lot of hunting rifles being used. These shoots are more tailored towards the shooter who wants to practice in realistic hunting conditions, rather than a pure competition-type steel match. Scores are kept, and winners are ranked, but I didn't notice anybody stressing out about it!

If you are interested in shooting in one of these shoots, check out Sportsman's Challenge:

http://sportsmanschallenge.weebly.com/

Caleb also puts on the Sportsman's Challenge Big Game shoots, with life-size critters placed to challenge your long range shooting skills. I look forward to shooting in these in the future.

Caleb is great guy. I enjoyed his big game shoot last year and hopefully will make it out to one of these small game shoot, although I'm not that excited about losing to a young teenage girl ;)

mmw194287

WKR
Digging this up---anyone going to the shoot next weekend? I didn't enter, but am considering heading over that way just to watch and meet folks. Curious if any Roksliders will be participating.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Digging this up---anyone going to the shoot next weekend? I didn't enter, but am considering heading over that way just to watch and meet folks. Curious if any Roksliders will be participating.

I'll be there and I think Pyroducks is going as well.

77336013b66429234ccb35562913f1a1.jpg

8c3e0aca5b8ff321ab63ba03fc2a8cdf.jpg