Lightweight Long range scope

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
I've owned literally about every scope vortex has, HS, HSLR, HSLR FFP, PST in both FFP and SFP and a Razor. I am looking for a step up in glass but without the weight the razor has .... Sure wish they'd put the razor glass in a PST would make a great hunting scope!

Leupold VX3 6.5-20x40mm w/ side focus runs about 16oz w/ CDS turret.
Their VX6 3-18x50mm CDS runs 20oz and the VX6 4-24x52mm CDS runs right at 24oz.
So take your pick. I will say that my VX6 4-24x52 is noticeably heavier than my VX3 6.5-20x40mm.
Under normal light conditions the VX3 does just fine, but I'm sure I'll find I can see more detail at farther ranges dusk/dawn w/ the VX6.

Honestly when it comes to long range scopes, my last consideration is how much it weights.
Turret tracking, reticle sustentions, and glass quality are much more important than a few ounces.
Hunt'nFish

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
Leupold have a zero stop yet? My understanding is you only get a zerostop with a CDS turret but you only get one revolution out of the turret if you go that route so you'd be limited to 15moa of adjustment ... Correct me if I'm wrong please!

Your asking for a lot with zero-stop and FFP in a scope under 25oz...

I would likely go this route.
Leupold VX-6 3-18x44 CDS. 19 oz
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-6-riflescopes/vx-6-3-18x44mm-side-focus-cds-zl/

I have that scope with the firedot duplex reticle. Really like the scope but the reticle is a bit heavy for long distance. It looks like that new reticle might have the same problem.

The TMOA reticle looks good! I'd happily forego illumination for that.

Last edited:
Leupold have a zero stop yet? My understanding is you only get a zerostop with a CDS turret but you only get one revolution out of the turret if you go that route so you'd be limited to 15moa of adjustment ... Correct me if I'm wrong please!

You are right, zero stop limits to one rotation. Forego the zero stop and you can go more. However the vx6 has 20 moa per rotation compared to the 15 of the vx3.

I had a vortex hst and a Leupold VX3 and the Leupold had much better clarity at low light. Leupold has great glass. You can add a non-zero stop turret to most scopes at the Leupold factory shop.

gelton

WKR
I have the VX3 with the CDS system and you can get more than one rotation without the zero stop. I just left the regular turret that came on the scope and the zerostop was real finnicky, like when you were returning to zero and if the dial were moving quickly, it wouldnt exactly stop but wouldnt exactly "click" either and when that happened you would get movement of the crosshairs without having an idea of how far past zero it let you go. A terrible problem to have if you are out in the field.

Another thing is, I have had a change in poi after a heavy cleaning where the scope may have been bumped or something changed during reassembly and have lost my zero. Well if you need to move down an MOA or so, you have to take out the allen wrenches etc to loosen the turret in order to adjust the zero. For those reasons I would just rather remember the distance of my last shot and how many rotations that takes to get back to zero. Its really not that complicated to remember, especially if you are remotely familiar with your ballistics, all you have to do is remember your last shot + or - 4-500 yards and you will get back to zero.

Edit: BTW I am definitely interested in upgrading the the VX6 3-18x44 with a TMOA reticle and CDS system and will likely be picking one up soon to replace the VX3.

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
Tried finding a vx6 to fondle today no gun shops had them in stock

I'm curious if anyone has experience with the 3-15 hd5 or z5 (for a few more $) compared to the vx6.

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
I wish they had more of a tactical reticle and I'd give them a try! I do envy my friends that have Zeiss binos and spotters! Their glass is my favorite I've used in the field

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for March. I think they have the best product on the market (empirically with comparison to big 3)

KMD

Banned
IMHO, a most vital piece of kit (your rifle's sighting system) is not where I'd be looking to shave ounces from.

Tough scopes are heavy, so is great glass. Plain & simple.

Find a scope with the features you want, and use it! A couple extra ounces ain't gonna break any backcountry hunter. If anything, a bit of mass centered over your rifle will be of benefit when attempting to hold on target. Wind gusts, beating heart, shooting off a pack, etc... a few extra ounces won't hurt to get steady!

HONEYBADGER

Lil-Rokslider
Swarovski Z5 is some of the finest glass you will find in a lightweight scope...17.5OZ, hard to beat.

OP
spdrman

spdrman

WKR
I ended up getting another Vortex Razor Gen I 5-20x50, its by no means light but is a great scope for the money and what I want out of a scope. Plan is to use that this year and save up my pennies and buy a March for it next year and throw this Razor on a Rock Chuck gun I'm wanting to build