Review: 6.5-06 Ackley Improved by Justin Crossley, Rokslide Moderator

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

It's Weapons Month on Rokslide, so lets talk killer calibers!

You've probably seen Justin Crossley on the forums. Besides giving a few trolls the swift kick, he's always participating in the conversation helping make Rokslide what it is.

When he sent me a query on the 6.5-06 Ackley Improved and his custom build, I jumped at the chance to publish it.

I've heard about this caliber for years and always thought it would be a real shooter for big deer.

Check out Justin's review on the 6.5 and how he incorporated it into his long range rifle build, the "perfect" long range deer rifle as he calls it:

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/firearms/343-the-6-5-06-ackley-improved

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You let Brock use your gun? Dude's gonna feel entitlement to your stuff. Good pic Brock

bhylton

WKR
when the 6.5 06 was compared to the 6.5 x 284 with a 26in barrel, does that mean the 6.5 06 being reviewed has a 26in barrel as well? I did not see the barrel length for the 06 clearly stated, just curious. great looking rifle.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The 6.5-06AI pictured in the article has a 26" Brux barrel. I'm running 140 Berger VLD's at 3215 fps with 64.5 grains of Ramshot Magnum.

I also just finished one for my brother that shoots the same exact load at 3130 fps, but it has a 27" Benchmark barrel.

Cross

Lil-Rokslider
Justin,

Why did you go with a 1.9 twist Barrel vs a 1.8?

Is your brother's gun a 1.9 twist as well.

I think that it is interesting to see the Berger VLD bullet stabilize so well in a 1.9 twist barrel when they recommend 1.8

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I went with the 1:9 because that's what my gunsmith recommended. I couldn't personally tell you which would be better.

My brother's is a 1:8.5 if I remember right. It is also very accurate, but I haven't shot it enough yet to say if one is better than the other.

Edit:
I just went back through my notes, and I made a mistake in the article. My Brux barrel is a 1:8.5" twist, and my brother's is 1:8" twist.

Robby,
Can you edit that in the article please?

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
Thanks for the write up justin. And thanks for all the feedback when I was trying to decide which way to go with my build. I'm excited to start using my 6.5 06 AI

Clarktar

WKR
I'm hoping end of May but I know Mike needs to get some new equipment dialed in first so that will likely be the deciding factor.

Pack up the uhual tomorrow and should be driving back to WA by tomorrow night. It would be fun to get together sometime. Maybe a hike in the Olympics. Old brockli might be interested.....

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Justin,

Why did you go with a 1.9 twist Barrel vs a 1.8?

Is your brother's gun a 1.9 twist as well.

I think that it is interesting to see the Berger VLD bullet stabilize so well in a 1.9 twist barrel when they recommend 1.8

Keep in mind that the elevation you are at can come into play with a bullet stabilizing. A 140 gr bullet at sea level won't have the same results of stabilizing with 1/9" twist versus same rifle shot at say 6000 ft elevation.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm hoping end of May but I know Mike needs to get some new equipment dialed in first so that will likely be the deciding factor.

Pack up the uhual tomorrow and should be driving back to WA by tomorrow night. It would be fun to get together sometime. Maybe a hike in the Olympics. Old brockli might be interested.....

I would be up for a hike.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Bob,
I used R22 for a while until I ran out. I was getting similar velocities, but slightly more pressure.

CAhunter,
Thank you! I've really had a blast with this rifle.