Scope slipping in mounts

FURMAN

WKR
From reading the thread this will not be popular but I would take the Talleys and throw them in the trash. Components are too expensive and barrel life is precious as much as I shoot. I had the exact same issue and went through multiple sets. In the end I wasted a lot of money and scarred my scope. I spoke with some scope companies and all recommended I stay away from Talley and Warner. I have moved to rails with Seekins rings. Problem gone. If I wanted a light weight option close to the Talley for a 700 I would use Hawkins.

WKR
Big plus one on above. I do use some talleys on varmint rigs, but for rifles with hard use and recoil, I don't think Seekins stuff can be beat.

OP
S

solo06

FNG
I was a little surprised to see this thread pop back up 2 years later!

As the OP, just thought I'd share what I ended up with:

Since I was trying to avoid the bulkier tactical-style rings on this particular rifle, I went with Talley Quick Detachable rings (steel). The QD version of their steel rings uses 2 screws at the top of the ring versus just 1 on their standard Fixed Rings. I believe this added greater strength to the clamping function of the ring setup.

I also degreased the rings and used that Scope Grip (rosin) product when installing the scope.

Results: Between the quality of these rings, and the installation procedure of degreasing and using Scope Grip, it's been 2 years and the scope has never slipped again. For me, it has been a solid set-up. I've been very pleased and the rifle shoots great!

Also, I never did lap the rings, as some had mentioned. Not only were these rings precision machined and matched by the manufacturer, but they also installed very smoothly and I've had perfect performance from them. So, aside from voiding the warranty, it just hasn't seemed necessary. There's certainly nothing wrong with lapping rings, and some rings may absolutely need lapping; I'm just sharing why I didn't lap these particular rings and how it turned out.

Thanks for posting your follow up 2 years later. I have experienced a similar experience of Talley rings slipping on a Fieldcraft 6.5CM.....going to try the Scope Grip.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting your follow up 2 years later. I have experienced a similar experience of Talley rings slipping on a Fieldcraft 6.5CM.....going to trip the Scope Grip.

Are they vertically split rings? If so, I would just replace them.

SDHNTR

WKR
Did I read this right that you oiled the scope and rings before installation? THAT oil, and not lapping, or tape or powder, or anything else, was your problem! Always degrease everything prior to scope installation to remove any oil, NEVER add any!

BBob

WKR
Didn't read any previous posts so this may be a repeat. Two things I've used to prevent slipping. Powdered rosin. rubber cement (one or the other, not together). I prefer the rosin.

BTW if you do any gunsmithing (barrel changing) powdered rosin is an age old trick to increase grip on barrels clamped in a barrel vise.

Last edited:
Are they vertically split rings? If so, I would just replace them.
Mine are horizontal. I did not put anything on my rings or scope ....just made sure it was clean and dry before torquing them per manufacturer specs....snug down criss-cross pattern multiple times before achieving 20 in lbs. I used it in a long range training class and until I started having issues with the bullets not tracking my dope chart towards the end of the class. Checked zero and it would not hold zero....did not notice the slide marks on the scope till the next day. I just went to a backup gun to finish the class and competition shoot the next day. The inside of the rings looked like they had full contact based on the scuff marks. I took them off, cleaned with rubbing alcohol and re installed at 22 in lbs and went and shot the gun. Appears to be holding for now.....may change out to another manufacturer's rings since I saw a video indicating to not go over 20 in lbs it may affect the movement of the internals and affect tracking. It is a nightforce NXS scope.

Last edited:
Didn't read any previous posts so this may be a repeat. Two things I've used to prevent slipping. Powdered rosin. rubber cement (one or the other, not together). I prefer the rosin.

BTW if you do any gunsmithing (barrel changing) powdered rosin is an age old trick to increase grip on barrels clamped in a barrel vise.
Thanks. I ordered the Scope Grip (rosin) to possibly try.

wapitibob

WKR
I use nightforce steel rings at 25# on an nxs and 7stw. The tube thickness on an nxs is substantial vs a light scope .

Last edited:
I use nightforce steel rings at 25# on an nxs and 7stw. The tube thickness on an nxs is substantial vs a light scope .
I tried looking in the NXS manual for torque specs for rings.....could not find any. I could only find torque specs from scope ring manufacturers.

SDHNTR

WKR
You didn’t hurt that Nightforce. You could probably double the torque specs and still not hurt it. They weigh so damn much because the tube wall thickness is substantial. No worries.

wapitibob

WKR
I tried looking in the NXS manual for torque specs for rings.....could not find any. I could only find torque specs from scope ring manufacturers.

It's on the pkg; 25# caps and 65# cross bolts. These are steel rings.
Bedded rail so it isn't tweaked and just barely dusted rings with a lapping bar. Lapping didn't go past the oxide on the rings.

HawkinsPrecision

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I see Hawks torque specs are 25 in lbs....

Yes, 25 in-lbs for the ring caps and 65 in-lbs for the cross bolts. We do a lot of hunting and competing, so our gear is field tested all the time!

125469969_421215348881511_7516397477176150445_n.jpg