300 RUM vs 7MM Rem or 28 Nosler

big10 are you reloading for the 'do all' rifle?? If so then I would lean towards a one of the big 7s (RUM, 28Nosler, STW) where you can move anything from a 139 up to a 195. If you aren't then I would definitely stick with 7rem mag or .300WM for ease of finding quality factory ammo.

Beastmode

WKR
big10 are you reloading for the 'do all' rifle?? If so then I would lean towards a one of the big 7s (RUM, 28Nosler, STW) where you can move anything from a 139 up to a 195. If you aren't then I would definitely stick with 7rem mag or .300WM for ease of finding quality factory ammo.

If you are reloading a 30 cal you can load from a 110 up to 230. My vote for a 300 win.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a similar question.. Jeff posts some great info, both here and on the Long Range Hunting Forum. A such I went .300 wm and shamelessly copied down his load info. When the rifle arrives Berger's 215 hybrid and Hornady's new 212 ELD-X will be pushed out by some H-1000. Best group wins. :)

Last edited:

Broz

WKR
I had a similar question.. Jeff posts some great info, both here and on the Long Range Hunting Forum. A such I went .300 wm and shamelessly copied down his load info. When the rifle arrives Berger's 215 hybrid and Hornady's new 212 ELD-X will be pushed out by some H-1000. Best group wins. :)

Thanks Matt, hope you like that rifle, I bet you do. These days most of my reviews and posts are on LongRangeOnly It keeps me busy.

Thanks
Jeff

Last edited:

Beastmode

WKR
Same here. Jeff was kind enough to spend about an hour with me on the phone talking about what I really needed and ended up going the 300 win mag route. It is currently at rbros getting some work done.

OP
big10hunter
I appreciate the responses. I've owned 300 win, and that is not in the conversation at this point. Still interested in three original cals posted a fighting daily with myself on which to choose. 28 and 300 rum will be similar recoil. 7mm BC are great, I don't want to shoot 215's

Hello Jeff/Broz

I know I'm bumping a old post but can you tell me what your thoughts or experience with 300 WSM on elk and where it fits in?

Thanks
Jet

GKPrice

Banned
I'll comment while you're waiting for Jeff to get back on 300 WSM gets you a little less velocity and recoil than the 300Win Mag (remember that stock design and a Limbsaver 2 pad can help that tons) - case design is efficient, that's good - availability of said brass isn't bad at all, that's good - not much to be gained over 24" in barrel length, that's good -
more lighter weight rifles chambered in 300 WSM, that's good (IMO) - 300 WSM will give you "about" midway performance between the 30.06 and 300 Win Mag, not at all a bad place to be

Thx GLPrice. Guys here in Nevada love 300 WSM... I'm torn on going 300 WSM in short action or 300WM or even 300 Norma in a long action. I do reload which opens things up for me! i think I would run out of room with the WSM in a short action

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Thx GLPrice. Guys here in Nevada love 300 WSM... I'm torn on going 300 WSM in short action or 300WM or even 300 Norma in a long action. I do reload which opens things up for me! i think I would run out of room with the WSM in a short action

How far are you wanting to shoot?

Broz

WKR
Hello Jeff/Broz

I know I'm bumping a old post but can you tell me what your thoughts or experience with 300 WSM on elk and where it fits in?

Thanks
Jet

Years ago, in some factory rifles when the first 300 WSM's came out, there were lots of feed issues. I fought a few of those battles. I wanted to use the WSM because of the sales hype of accuracy and velocity over the old timer 300 win mag. Well I got past the feed issues but I never seen ANY gains. In fact , in my experience, I saw a loss in velocity over the 300 win. After that I went back to the tried and true 300 win mag and have been happy ever since. Now, with the 215 Berger available the 300 win is very hard to beat in all aspects. So, this is the reason, as we speak, there are three 300 win mags in my safe, and zero 300 wsm's.
YMMV
Jeff

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
My dad shoots a 300 WSM with factory ammo and from what I have seen factory loaded 150-180gr rounds are about the same. The WM will handle the heavier stuff 200+ better but in all practical hunting applications an animal won't notice the 50+/- fps from either cartridge. I shoot a 300 RUM and while I will admit its overkill it shoots the 200gr Accubonds at 3200 fps and is by far the most accurate gun I own.

If your looking for a hunting rifle that will get shot only in the fall and maybe once or twice the rest of the year then ammo cost is not a big deal. If you handload then its even less important. For most hunting ranges with the 180gr or smaller bullets I would say pick whichever you want. If your looking at shooting a lot at long range with heavier rounds then I would give the nod to the WM.

Either way you look at it if you can accurately shoot a 300 magnum of any sort then you have yourself a fine elk rifle.

cabochris

FNG
Yup, this is an old post. But still very interesting. For normal elk hunting I always believed the 338 Win Mag was the best. This based on experience. But today I have to wonder. First, we're now shooting at elk beyond 1000 yards and 600+ yards beyond my 338 400 yard limit. New year allowes and secondly new bullets are a game changer? I've watched the videos online and just another yesterday where a hunter shoots a cow elk at 875 yards with a 308 Win! Bang-Flop! The bullet... A VLD 168! I have an STW and am thinking about building 28 Nosler or 300 RUM. But now have my reservations, because they may no longer be needed? Bullet Tech may be the reason why? If a dinky 168 308 can drop an elk so quickly, then a 7 REM Mag should too out to 1200 yards? What's the need for more Horse Power? I may build a 7 REM Mag. I would rather shoot an elk at 700 yards using a VLD 7mm, than shoot my 338 Win. It's quite possible certain modern bullets have changed the game?

Broz

WKR
Yup, this is an old post. But still very interesting. For normal elk hunting I always believed the 338 Win Mag was the best. This based on experience. But today I have to wonder. First, we're now shooting at elk beyond 1000 yards and 600+ yards beyond my 338 400 yard limit. New year allowes and secondly new bullets are a game changer? I've watched the videos online and just another yesterday where a hunter shoots a cow elk at 875 yards with a 308 Win! Bang-Flop! The bullet... A VLD 168! I have an STW and am thinking about building 28 Nosler or 300 RUM. But now have my reservations, because they may no longer be needed? Bullet Tech may be the reason why? If a dinky 168 308 can drop an elk so quickly, then a 7 REM Mag should too out to 1200 yards? What's the need for more Horse Power? I may build a 7 REM Mag. I would rather shoot an elk at 700 yards using a VLD 7mm, than shoot my 338 Win. It's quite possible certain modern bullets have changed the game?

Please read post #7. Another season has past. I was there for 37 more elk kills. And what I posted stays true. I only offer this to help. Do what suits you best for your needs, but trust me, there are way better choices for killing elk fast than a 7mm, even with a 195 let alone a 168.

Jeff

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Savage Bear Hunter in 300 win Mag for my everything rifle. Great round with a lot of bullet options factory or reloaded, very accurate and with the brake on its very easy on the shoulder. I can shoot it all afternoon in a T-shirt. My son and I ran 80 rounds through it one afternoon the day I got my scope mounted on it. I would consider the 300 wm with a brake a very serious contender for what you are looking for in a rifle.

Jordan Smith

Lil-Rokslider
I will offer you not over look the 300 win mag either. This year has cinched it for me. What I thought I have been seeing with different caliber and killing elk has now become so obvious that I will not sugar coat it any more. I have tested, owned, built and shot many 7 rem mags, 7mm-300 win mags, a few 7 stw's, a 7 RUM or two and others in the .284 family. With a variety of bullets from most of the prominent mfg's in weights including, 140, 150, 160, 168, 180 and now 195. I have also tested a variety of 30 cals, 300 win mag, 300 rum, 30-378, 30 Lapua, and so on. With bullets from the same mfg's in the 180, 190, 210, 215 and 230 gr weights. Hunted at most distances from 50 yards to over 1000 with most kills being from 350 to 800 yards. Yesterday as we are approaching the end of a very long season including two management elk hunts I took my second elk. That second elk put us at number 70 for the season and I have been right there for most of them. Sometimes 3 in one evening off the same hay field. What I have seen is this. Yes the 7mm will kill your elk just fine with a well placed bullet. But there is no doubt the 30 cal will simply take the life out of them faster. And the 388 faster yet. Now add the possibility of the placement being off just a little and this becomes even more obvious. This is not something to ignore. With increased distances the real life possibility of us being off a little is real. Trust me when I tell you that if you are off a little with any 7mm you better have another ready to go to that elk as soon as you can get back on it. The 30 cal and 338 will cover you here in most cases with heavy for caliber bullets. Some may not agree with this post, some may even resent it a little. But I offer this only for those who may benefit from my experience of taking and field dressing 100's of elk with the calibers and bullet mentioned.
Respectfully
Jeff

Equally respectfully, with a sig line like that, I have to question whether your apparent bias has influenced your observations ;)

willidru

WKR
Glad this got pulled to the top, it's a debate I've been pondering 7 Rem Mag vs 300 WM. The info posted by Broz and others in favor of the 300 WM makes sense. Also hearing his perspective on the Avery Adventure podcast was helpful. My one question still lingering is for non hand loaders (like myself). When loading 215-230 grain Bergers in a 30 cal I get it, but there are very few factory loads that I have seen over 180-190 gr for the 300 WM. While the 7 RM has quiet a few options from 168-175 gr. bullets in factory loads. Would the 30 cal supporters still feel the same way about factory loads when the BC is higher on the 7 RM?

Jordan Smith

Lil-Rokslider
Load some 180 ELD in that 7RM at about 3000 fps, and you'll be golden. Not a critter alive in this continent that can shrug one off (well placed, of course) and carry on. The 195 EOL at 2900 fps is some big medicine, as well.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Load some 180 ELD in that 7RM at about 3000 fps, and you'll be golden. Not a critter alive in this continent that can shrug one off (well placed, of course) and carry on. The 195 EOL at 2900 fps is some big medicine, as well.

Unfortunately, not all shots are well placed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk