300 RUM vs 7MM Rem or 28 Nosler

LaGriz

WKR
Quote Originally Posted by LaGriz View Post

The theme of this thread makes me believe my logic is on target.

I will be looking to kill a bull this fall with my 338-06 built on a pre-64 M70 action. It's going to be my 1st rifle hunt in good while. The re-bored M70 groups a 200 grain AB (2800 fps) well enough to give me confidence. My 3 previous kills have been with a .280 rem and 160 grain fail safe load. All shots were close, one being a one-shot-kill while two required a follow up shot(s) that ended suffering, but may not have been needed. I was following the rule of "if still standing...hit them again if you can." Have since made some good shots on deer with the same .280 (160 gr. AccuBond) that took the animals cleanly but sometimes failed to exit. The reason I when with the 338-06 is I wanted a bigger bullet (hammer) for that extra margin of lethality on a marginal shot. The performance of this caliber is very close to that of a 338 WM with slightly less recoil. I know I must do my part, as shot placement is always key. I find the rifle to be shoot-able without a muzzle brake. I do love the model 70 and I have always wanted a rifle in this chambering. Looking forward to fall!

" LaGriz
How far are you talking about using your 338-06? I have one and really like it with 210 Sciroccos (BC .500+) at 2830 fps but I don't exactly consider that a long range."

Forgot that the original comments were about LR shots at elk. You are correct that it is not a long range rig. I have the rifle scoped by choice with a 2 X 7 X 36mm Kahles scope that is going to be somewhat limiting for a longer poke. This side of 400 yards would probably be my limit.

Very much interested in you rigs performance. What is your load data for 210 Scirocco to get it to 2830 fps? I have been shooting only factory Nosler ammo at this point. Owning this caliber (+ several others) will defiantly force me to make the leap to hand loading ammo sooner rather than later.
LaGriz

wildperu

FNG
I shot at a big bodied elk (about 1,000 lbs) on a NM farm that borders a park with a 7mm rem mag. Elk was shot at 700 yards with a 28" shilean barrel with HSM 180 grain vld berger hunting bullets. He dropped and while we were celebrating got up and I put him down for good as he just stood there. The week before another hunter shot a spike in the same area with a .300 Wm and used 3 bullets to put his down. None of his or my bullets exit either elk. Yes .300 may kill better, but I practice a lot with my 7mm. So confidence in your shots is a must.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I also built two 28 Noslers and a 7RM this year to try for the first time. I am a big fan of the 300 RUM and 338 Lapua and wanted to see if the .284 caliber is as efficient at killing elk at LR.

I just happened to read through this and wanted to ask about how your 28 has worked out. I saw Lane's bull was with the 28 Nosler.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The 28 from Redrock has been a HAMMER so far.

b20f5219ab2086e16a6b7daa7cb553a3.jpg

Sons buck at 515 yard

96eaecb7964eca99a1a645931cd90ccd.jpg

Sons bull at 750 yards

c75b20ed7bafa435ff85ec363db3ac95.jpg

My bull at 440 yards

RumLover

FNG
I've got one of each, killed at close and long range with each, go with the 300 Rum. Lots of air in, lots of blood out, lots of energy dumped, lots of margin for error when the perfect shot never presents itself. I've never hunted in places where I wanted to let an elk or deer run off and get into thicker/steeper terrain than what I spotted them in. Drop it in its tracks

Broz

WKR
I've got one of each, killed at close and long range with each, go with the 300 Rum. Lots of air in, lots of blood out, lots of energy dumped, lots of margin for error when the perfect shot never presents itself. I've never hunted in places where I wanted to let an elk or deer run off and get into thicker/steeper terrain than what I spotted them in. Drop it in its tracks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The 28 from Redrock has been a HAMMER so far.

b20f5219ab2086e16a6b7daa7cb553a3.jpg

Sons buck at 515 yard

96eaecb7964eca99a1a645931cd90ccd.jpg

Sons bull at 750 yards

c75b20ed7bafa435ff85ec363db3ac95.jpg

My bull at 440 yards

Looks like it has been a good season! What scope is that on the rifle, I don't recognize it.

What bullets have you been using?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What's your opinion of the 1/3 MOA clicks on the Huskemaw? Do you think the glass would compare to a Nightforce SHV? Thanks

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

I have an SHV, I will compare them tomorrow when I go to the Range. I have used the 5-20 and 4-16 Huskemaws this year for all of my hunts. The Scopes have passed all the test for dialing but the glass is below average. But you don't need alpha glass in a Rifle Scope. But its damn hard to go from a Swarovski X5 to the Husky. :)

The 1/3 clicks haven't been an issue, we are 6-0 with the Huskies out to 750 yards.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
Comparing a husky to a swaro is apple to oranges. I am curious as to how it compares to a Nikon or Bushnell elite ?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have an SHV, I will compare them tomorrow when I go to the Range. I have used the 5-20 and 4-16 Huskemaws this year for all of my hunts. The Scopes have passed all the test for dialing but the glass is below average. But you don't need alpha glass in a Rifle Scope. But its damn hard to go from a Swarovski X5 to the Husky. :)

The 1/3 clicks haven't been an issue, we are 6-0 with the Huskies out to 750 yards.

SHV glass looks clearer and brighter to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Comparing a husky to a swaro is apple to oranges. I am curious as to how it compares to a Nikon or Bushnell elite ?

Don’t own a Nikon, none I’ve tested dial consistently. The Huskemaw glass is similar to the Bushnell ERS.

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, I'm bringing this back up. After reading this entire thread, as I'm considering a 28 Nosler, I have to ask how a 300wm can take out an elk better than a 28 Nosler? I saw mentioned that "even with the new 195gr, .284 bullets, the 30 cal still kills faster." This makes no sense to me. The 195gr. Has a better BC than the 215gr. 30 cal. and the 28 Nosler has more velocity. The terminal velocity of a .284 out of a 28 Nosler is greater than a bullet of the same weight out of a 300wm. Having said that, how can a 300wm kill "better", even with a marginal shot, than a 28 Nosler? It makes no sense logically. More energy is more energy, reqardless of the caliber. Am I missing something?

Broz

WKR
It makes no sense logically. More energy is more energy, reqardless of the caliber. Am I missing something?

Me either. The reason I called on several trusted rifle builders one day with the same question the year we shot 78 elk in one season. They seen it and could not explain it either.

I had .284 barrels ready to go. I had brass and bullets. I thought the 195 was going to be the cats meow. I built 5 7-300 win mags for me and some friends. I have owned 7 Rem Mags, 7 stw's, 7 Rums, even a 7 -Lapua.

You don't have to take my word for it. Ask Ryan Avery why he is going back to a 30. I spent several dollars testing 7's of all variations and now there is not one 7mm left in my safe.

I didn't say same weight bullet in both calibers. Why would anyone handicap a 300 by using a 7mm weight projectile? The only reasons for anyone to do that is either to make a 30 perform like a 7, or to handicap the 30 so the 7 looks better.

Again, I am in no way saying a 7mm will not kill an elk, we have killed dozens with 7's, but if you shoot enough of them with a 7 you will witness what I and others have.

I can't explain it, and I wont try, but I have seen 100's (Yes 100's) of elk taken with a lot of calibers and bullets. Dead elk don't lie.

Buy whatever you want. That's the fun of all this. But don't buy a 7 thinking you are buying the holy grail of elk rifles.

Jeff

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ok, I'm bringing this back up. After reading this entire thread, as I'm considering a 28 Nosler, I have to ask how a 300wm can take out an elk better than a 28 Nosler? I saw mentioned that "even with the new 195gr, .284 bullets, the 30 cal still kills faster." This makes no sense to me. The 195gr. Has a better BC than the 215gr. 30 cal. and the 28 Nosler has more velocity. The terminal velocity of a .284 out of a 28 Nosler is greater than a bullet of the same weight out of a 300wm. Having said that, how can a 300wm kill "better", even with a marginal shot, than a 28 Nosler? It makes no sense logically. More energy is more energy, reqardless of the caliber. Am I missing something?

IME they simply don't kill as fast as a big thirty with a big bullet. Can't prove it and don't need too. Shoot whatever floats your boat, But I think people that are honest and go out and actually use both will come to this conclusion as well.

Truthfully it would be way easier for me to stay with the 28, I have two rifles chamber in that caliber. 1000, 195 bergers and 700, 180ish bergers and around 200 pieces of brass. But one is being rebarreled back to 300 RUM, and I will use the 28 for deer hunting.

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
IME they simply don't kill as fast as a big thirty with a big bullet. Can't prove it and don't need too. Shoot whatever floats your boat, But I think people that are honest and go out and actually use both will come to this conclusion as well.

Truthfully it would be way easier for me to stay with the 28, I have two rifles chamber in that caliber. 1000, 195 bergers and 700, 180ish bergers and around 200 pieces of brass. But one is being rebarreled back to 300 RUM, and I will use the 28 for deer hunting.

So what you're saying is, you have a lot of components for sale cheap?

Oh! And a 300 AAC Blackout must be an elk slaying MoFo.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Hell no, with all the 28 leg humpers I'm sitting on a gold mine.