300 RUM vs 7MM Rem or 28 Nosler

I think their are a few options now to address the COAL issue. I will be trying one of the new bottom metal on the 30-06 to hopefully allow longer seating of the 215s.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I think luke was taking optimized bottom metal into account. 3.5" is still short for a win mag.

Clarktar

WKR
I think luke was taking optimized bottom metal into account. 3.5" is still short for a win mag.
Ah, I thought one of them went out to 3.7ish or 3.8. if so, maybe that is still too short.

Ah, I thought one of them went out to 3.7ish or 3.8. if so, maybe that is still too short.

I'm by no means an authority on tikkas but my memory was 3.5 being about max with some of the new options. Maybe can go longer, would probably require some grinding on actions. 3.5 is better than 3.3" though!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
308 win or 300 wsm in a rebarrel of 1:10 or faster so you can shoot ther 215 berger reliably is the way to fly on the Tikka. Unless you think you can find a better way to get a longer COAL than 3.5” to make it work in the WM.

Clarktar

WKR
308 win or 300 wsm in a rebarrel of 1:10 or faster so you can shoot ther 215 berger reliably is the way to fly on the Tikka. Unless you think you can find a better way to get a longer COAL than 3.5” to make it work in the WM.
Looks like this might allow 3.6 but I have no experience with it yet and I am strictly getting info from the item description

Tikka T3 Long Action AICS Bottom Metal

Looks like this might allow 3.6 but I have no experience with it yet and I am strictly getting info from the item description

Tikka T3 Long Action AICS Bottom Metal

You are right that is a nice option. It is not a direct drop in, requires some gunsmith work that this video covers well. Long Action AICS Introduction and Install - YouTube

Also people should consider if they are happy with the mag release on the bottom metal and how flush magazines can get (3 rd magazines are availbale). I've had friends who said they had issues with accidentally dropping mags in the field with that release setup. Also look into people who have had issues getting longer COAL rounds to eject.

Great to see the level of aftermarket support for Tikkas giving people options beyond 700s and clones!

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
You are right that is a nice option. It is not a direct drop in, requires some gunsmith work that this video covers well. Long Action AICS Introduction and Install - YouTube

Also people should consider if they are happy with the mag release on the bottom metal and how flush magazines can get (3 rd magazines are availbale). I've had friends who said they had issues with accidentally dropping mags in the field with that release setup.

Great to see the level of aftermarket support for Tikkas giving people options beyond 700s and clones!
Yep, not a true direct drop in. There is another option from RedSnake that appears to be more of a direct drop in, but I am not sure what COAL you can get with it. The website is a bit vague ... "3.5+"

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
This is a great thread, lots of info/good experience. Headed out to AZ for my first elk hunt this year...what FACTORY 7mmRM ammo have you fellas had success with on elk? I’m looking for a few solid options to start and then see what it likes best. 1/9.5 twist 26 inch barrel.

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk