300 weatherby for long range

ftothfadd

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone still uses the 300 weatherby for long range work? It used to be fairly popular in the mountains pre 300RUM... It is still widely available with brass from many manufacturers. Any thoughts on it for long range shooting? What rate of twist would use?
Thanks, Ferenc

I have a buddy shooting a 300 weatherby mag..he has taken multiple elk over 850 yards with it..
I don't have any details on the load he shoots but i believe it's just a 1-10 twist in a factory weatherby rifle.
I have never fired it at game, but it sure is a hoot to shoot at rocks and stumps 800+ yards away.

Nalgene

Lil-Rokslider
It is a .30 cal. Dont get wrapped around the cartridge de jour and just realize it is a bullet travelling at a certain speed. The speed, bullets characteristics and physics tell the story.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sure folks do. Brass cost and # of guns chambered in it likely speaks to its "lower" popularity is all. Twist rate depends on the bullet you're trying to stabilize. Go play with with the applied ballistics calculation (Litz's site) and you can see what a give bullet/velocity/twist will do at your atmospheric condition.

Jon Pynch

FNG
If i was gonna build a bigger .30 cal, and I have built a lot. I would steer away from that. It'll work fine, but after loading for 30-378 and a 338-378 improved I will never have another weatherby based cartridge. I'm not a fan of their brass, and you'll lose primer pockets relatively quickly compared to other brass. The brass is also way overpriced.

if you have one shoot away, but if you are thinking of building, it's my opinion that there are a lot better choices out there. I'm gonna assume you want to shoot heavy for caliber bullets(200 gr plus) if you are talking long range. If so, I would probably go for 1/10 twist in whatever .30 cal you decide on.

300 RUM, 300 norma, 30 lapua:) 300 win 300wsm and other would all get chosen before the weatherby. just my 2cents:)

OP
F

ftothfadd

Lil-Rokslider
I actually own a 300 wby. I have not streched her out yet, and I am contemplating whether I shoul try that, or perhaps transition to another round before too much more time and money investment. It is in a blaser R8, so barrel change is relatively easy.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You got it, run it and see. :)

As noted the main reason its not heavily used is the limited brass options (and cost for what you can get) thus if starting from scratch other cartridges make more sense.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have two 300 weatherby's, a mark v stainless currently under rebuild and a mark v custom outfitter. Before I tore the stainless down to the action I was able to stretch it out to 1000 yards at the range, only ever had the chance to stretch it to 556 on an animal. I've always had good luck with the brass, although it is unfortunate that the empty brass is damn near the same price as a box of 20 spire points. When reloading I also prefer the longer neck of the weatherby to the winchester mag. There have been instances recently in Saskatchewan where the weatherby has been the most available of the 300 magnums (although reloder 25 was nowhere to be found for the last 3 years). With the rebuild I'm leaning towards a 1:9 or 1:9.5 twist.

Sako76

WKR
I have a Weatherby Mark V SS fluted in 300 Weatherby. I have shot elk at 512, 401, 350 and 265 twice. Not a one hole rifle, fits me great and hits hard. I strictly use Weatherby factory ammo with 180 Nosler Partitions. I may try loading up some 185 Bergers.