The 300 Project

I just picked up a mcmillian hunters edge stock for my tikka but I like the grip on this precision stocks works better! What a build.

Thanks for showing us the Bullet Flight data. It's impressive to see how much power you're getting from such a light package.

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a helluva rifle with quite the weight savings! What were you packing around before, and where did the majority of your weight savings come from with the new rifle (stock, barrel, etc.)?

Conrad

FNG
28" plus a brake is going to be loooong. RUM has plenty of capacity to drive whatever bullet you're going to shoot. I'd be looking at making that barrel shorter for a little more handy rifle. The little added velocity at 28" isn't going to change the ballistic much at all at distance.

When you're wringing every bit of performance out of your rifle the 2 inches does matter. It all depends on how you plan to hunt. It seems like this rifle has a specific purpose, maximum performance in a lightweight packable platform, not necessarily a well balanced firearm made for general/variable hunting scenarios.

Last edited:

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
28" plus a brake is going to be loooong. RUM has plenty of capacity to drive whatever bullet you're going to shoot. I'd be looking at making that barrel shorter for a little more handy rifle. The little added velocity at 28" isn't going to change the ballistic much at all at distance.

I'm kinda thinking that Ryan knows what he is doing. At least with shooting anyway.....................
One of these days, he'll come around to rooting for the seahawks.

Randy

CaNINE

FNG
Ryan - Looking forward to following along with your project. Benchmark recently completed a build for me with a similar goal in mind. I too went with the 300 RUM and am load testing the 230 OTM and 220 ELDX. I split the difference and ended up with a 27" barrel plus brake. I spec'd the rifle at 11 pounds fully rigged. Final weigh-in at 11.2 pounds..down right handy compared to the 16 pounds I was lugging around. Good luck and have fun. Ron

Conrad

FNG
Just throwing out the shorter barrel as a consideration. I built a very similar 300 WM with 26" barrel and brake that pretty much put it at 49-50" long. Working through trees and uneven terrain you start to notice it a bit. It lead me to try out a desert tech. Maybe not a big deal if always in open country. The rum has the capacity to afford a shorter barrel and still garner an impressive trajectory. Just my 2 cents. Either way it will be fun.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Just throwing out the shorter barrel as a consideration. I built a very similar 300 WM with 26" barrel and brake that pretty much put it at 49-50" long. Working through trees and uneven terrain you start to notice it a bit. It lead me to try out a desert tech. Maybe not a big deal if always in open country. The rum has the capacity to afford a shorter barrel and still garner an impressive trajectory. Just my 2 cents. Either way it will be fun.

I have two other RUMs with 26 inch barrels. I wanted something different, so I went with a 28 to see what she can do.

I love bullpups, hunted with a LRKM the last few years. I also looked at desert tech, wish they where lighter.

DSC00378_zpsr0cimiml.jpg

LRKM(Long Range Killing Machine) Its 15.5 pounds

DSC00379_zps4hhjw97e.jpg

Shot this bull at 1583 yards with the LRKM

Conrad

FNG
Right on, how much does the LRKM weigh? I'm going to spin up some lighter contours for the DT. I don't have unrealistic expectations but if I can get it in the 12lb realm with scope Id be happy.

bhylton

WKR
Right on, how much does the LRKM weigh? I'm going to spin up some lighter contours for the DT. I don't have unrealistic expectations but if I can get it in the 12lb realm with scope Id be happy.

15.5lbs. says so below the picture of it

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have owned 4 titanium actions. The Lone Peak Titanium action is by far the smoothed of the four.
522110ff8ea5644d0c4003ea37e98853.jpg

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Does that affect the accuracy or just the speed of return shots?

I can't say that it does. But I have seen pierce TI actions so gritty they would not cycle for shit. That gritty feel is what most people don't like about TI actions, not near as smooth as steel. Lone Peak is going to sale lots of actions.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Ryan how do U like the trigger Teck????

I only have about 20 pulls on it so far. They break like a Jewell(zero creep) and are very easy to adjust. So far I am very impressed.

Last edited: