Best bang for the buck, pun intended. $1000-$1500 Factory rifles.

TheCougar

WKR
I've read through the forums and hoping there is some general consensus on a solid <$1500 rifle out there. I'm specifically looking for a bombproof mountain rifle in 7mm RM. The farthest I plan to ever hunt with it is about 600yds, so not quite the "long range hunting" that a lot of guys talk about. I've seen some higher end Remmys, Winchesters, plus some others like Sako, Kimber, and Christensen. I don't plan on tinkering with it and I don't reload. I just want a solid, bombproof, accurate, and relatively lightweight out of the box hunting rifle. I'm a snob when it comes to archery and optics, but a custom rifle would be overkill for what I need. I have a $400 Remington ADL that is ugly as sin, has a rough action, rusts easily, and is an absolute tack driver. It is being sold for a new rifle down payment. Thanks for answering my basic questions and patiently enduring my lack of knowledge.

cocky84

WKR
I have a Remington 700 cdl sf limited edition in 7mm rem mag. It has a Bell and Carlson Alaskan wilderness stock on it. Extremely light weight and shoots HSA 168 grn vld factory ammo very well. It weighs in at 7lb 13oz with scope and rings. It does not come with scope though. Im sure if a guy put some lightweight Talley rings on it, fluted and skelelized the bolt it would be close to 7.5 lbs.
send me a textbif your interested, i got some pics i can send you. $1300. 8162442160

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a Tikka t3 lite stainless in 7rm DONE. 6lbs, haven't seen one that wont shoot sub moa.

Trial153

WKR
Just me, and take this for what it's worth because I haven't hunted with a rifle in about 12 years or so..I do still shoot a bit though. I was in similar situation this past year looking to pick up a decent light weight gun for my dad to use on a moose hunt I was taking him one this fall. I was going to just let him use a .300 win mag that I had however I thought it might be a it much gun for him, he mainly is bird hunter and does deer hunt a couple time a year...he has one deer rifle a .270win ...so wanted something I thought would suit him better.

I picked up a tikka T3x lite in 7mm Remington mag. I been working up a couple loads for it really shoots fantastic. It's solid and smooth, doesn't seem temperamental at all with various loads. The new stock they use os really nice, grippy, good feel and not hollow sounding. The recoil pad is an up grade as well. So what I am getting at is I think for a pure hunting rifle that it like you said " bomb proff" I think your going to be hard pressed to get much better under 1500 hundred.
I would get the t3x and put the other 800 towards some kick ass glass for it.

Also something to keep in mind. They no longer come with rings. I lucked out and my buddy had a new set of the very old style tikka rings( millet made then) they had nice adjustment screws on both sides, and are pretty light weight. Anyway from reading guys post on here who obviously know more about all things shooting then me ...you can research some aftermarket options for new rings.

My original plan was to let him use this tikka for the hunt and then just sell it when we get home...so it maybe for sale shortly...maybe.

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Tikka T3 superlight in 7mm mag is extremely hard to beat. Or the new T3X as mentioned above.

I shoot a lot of Tikkas and they consistently shoot under moa.

GKPrice

Banned
Just me, and take this for what it's worth because I haven't hunted with a rifle in about 12 years or so..I do still shoot a bit though. I was in similar situation this past year looking to pick up a decent light weight guy for my dad to use on a moose hunt I was taking him one this fall. I was going to just let him use a .300 win mag that I had however I thought it might be a it much gun for him, he mainly is bird hunter and does deer hunt a couple time a year...he has one deer rifle a .270win ...so wanted something I thought would suit him better.

I have a new T3X SUPERLIGHT I got at Sportsmans Warehouse for $749 2 weeks ago With a Mountain Tactical rail and Leupold Rifleman 1" med rings (stronger than commonly believed, cheap and ultra lightweight) it tips my scale at 6lb 1oz the new "X" model has just enough improvements over the original T3 to make is a great deal - There are a lot of good to great scopes out there and individual eyes should be the defining factor on how "clear" you see the images through it, I've stated "ad nauseam" that I like Leupolds (you can do worse than Leupold plus the VXi 3.5x10 or 4.5x14 are lightweight and very functional) for less than your $1500 you can have a great rifle, scoped that weighs well (I PERSONALLY use 3.5x10x40mm scopes and have never ever not had enough glass to get the hunt done) under 7 1/2 lbs, loaded magazine in the gun - That's one solution using a rifle that is very very well thought of on this forum

I picked up a tikka T3x in 7mm Remington mag. I been working up a couple loads for it really shoots fantastic. It's solid and smooth, doesn't seem temperamental at all with various loads. The new stock they use os really nice, grippy, good feel and not hollow sounding. The recoil pad is an up grade as well. So what I am getting at is I think for a pure hunting rifle that it like you said " bomb proff" I think your going to be hard pressed to get much better under 1500 hundred.
I would get the t3x and put the other 800 towards some kick ass glass for it.

Also something to keep in mind. They no longer come with rings. I lucked out and my buddy had a new set of the very old style tikka rings( millet made then) they had nice adjustment screws on both sides, and are pretty light weight. Anyway from reading guys post on here who obviously know more about all things shooting then me ...you can research some aftermarket options for new rings.

My original plan was to let him use this tikka for the hunt and then just sell it when we get home...so it maybe for sale shortly...maybe.

Tikka T3X superlight

AdamW

WKR
I've been drooling over Tikka T3Lite or T3X recently as well as the Savage Lightweight Hunter. The Kimber Adirondack is pretty appealing too. I'm still slinging an ADL like you, but I feel a gift to myself in the somewhat near future. :D

Trial153

WKR
This is the model I picked up, I topped it with 3x9 42 Zeiss Terra I think. Took the scope in on a trade and it was laying around. If I decide to keep the gun I will upgrade the glass.

T3x LITE | Tikka

rayporter

WKR
the best bang for your buck is to put a stainless barrel on what you have. while the barrel is off get the action coated and it wont rust and will be slicked up.

way under a thousand. yea the catch is you will still have a wood stock. but a year later you can upgrade that too.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've read through the forums and hoping there is some general consensus on a solid <$1500 rifle out there. I'm specifically looking for a bombproof mountain rifle in 7mm RM. The farthest I plan to ever hunt with it is about 600yds, so not quite the "long range hunting" that a lot of guys talk about. I've seen some higher end Remmys, Winchesters, plus some others like Sako, Kimber, and Christensen. I don't plan on tinkering with it and I don't reload. I just want a solid, bombproof, accurate, and relatively lightweight out of the box hunting rifle. I'm a snob when it comes to archery and optics, but a custom rifle would be overkill for what I need. I have a $400 Remington ADL that is ugly as sin, has a rough action, rusts easily, and is an absolute tack driver. It is being sold for a new rifle down payment. Thanks for answering my basic questions and patiently enduring my lack of knowledge.

Cerakote the barrel and action then replace the stock, if you'd like. There's no way I'd sale an accurate rifle for an unknown one. JMO

I also will backup the Sako A7, I have the long range version in a 25-06 and it rocks! I would buy another one again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Did some shooting today. This is why I recommend Tikkas.

Tikka .243

1566ef0589067d854743bfc5951652f8.jpg

Tikka 7mm

14924df72fb40faf5d4fdfb6f688ab89.jpg

Custom Tikka 300wm

7faebb436ee7f548c1e9240ab44ba37e.jpg