Berger Releases 3 New Classic Hunter bullets

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders,
I was really excited to see this. You may already have as I was in the hills when this press release came out.

I've been shooting the 130 CH in 270 as it was the heaviest available for my 270WSM. I've killed two bucks with that bullet and am very happy but if this new 140 with a higher BC allows me to go 10 grains heavier with same or flatter trajectory, that's money in the bank!

this table shows all the CH offerings and the three new ones. Looks like the 6.5 crowd will be happy.

Here's the Berger definition of the CHs, right from Litz himself:

Berger Bullets ballistician Bryan Litz states "The Classic Hunter provides a unique solution that shares the hybrid design and ballistic properties of a match-quality target bullet, yet allows hunters magazine feed reliability. Now reloaders from entry-level through expert class have an obvious choice for their next hunt."

attachment.php

Berger Blog | New Berger Classic Hunter Offerings Now Available!

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Man Robby they just keep coming out with more and more awesome bullets. I'll be grabbing some of those to try soon.

Hey guys did anyone get to put these bullets into some animals this season yet? Specifically the 300.

deadwolf

WKR
Cmon Robby, you can use the MOA rifles 170gr Berger Elite if you want a heavy bullet for that short mag : ) Too bad you need a custom rifle with a 1/8 twist though. I am curious though what it would do in a standard 1/10.

I have had some good luck with the Nosler 150 ABLR in my .270, but I'd like to try these new Bergers as well and see how they shoot. Exciting news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Cmon Robby, you can use the MOA rifles 170gr Berger Elite if you want a heavy bullet for that short mag : ) Too bad you need a custom rifle with a 1/8 twist though. I am curious though what it would do in a standard 1/10.

That would hurt my wimpy little shoulder. The 130s bite pretty hard already.

HOT ROD

WKR
Has any one got there hands... On the 270 140s yet? Been looking for them.... My wife shoots a 270 wsm... I thinks they will be money.....

deadwolf

WKR
That would hurt my wimpy little shoulder. The 130s bite pretty hard already.

I also use the 130s and love em, tried 140 Barnes tsx but the gun liked Berger better. I'm sure you read into my humor about the 170 grainers, I really don't understand why'd they'd try to throw that big bullet out of a .270

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I also use the 130s and love em, tried 140 Barnes tsx but the gun liked Berger better. I'm sure you read into my humor about the 170 grainers, I really don't understand why'd they'd try to throw that big bullet out of a .270

Oh ya I knew you was teasin'. I'd like to see someone shoot those 170s and see what they'd do.

mcr-85

WKR
The 170s shoot pretty good out of my short mag. I killed a cow elk at 410 and my Colorado buck at 710 with them. I hit a little low on the cow the first shot but the second piled her up. The buck front flipped down the hill when I hit him. I have a 1-9 twist but they shoot fine for me. I'm pushing them around 3050 fps.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

deadwolf

WKR
I was in fact told that Berger over/under states optimal twist rates. For example claiming you'd need a 1/8 for those big 170s, when a 1/9 would work and even a 1/10 would stabilize them. Good to hear from someone with real world use of them. I just figured if I was killing something that needed over a 140 I'd grab the next rifle over in line : )

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The 170s shoot pretty good out of my short mag. I killed a cow elk at 410 and my Colorado buck at 710 with them. I hit a little low on the cow the first shot but the second piled her up. The buck front flipped down the hill when I hit him. I have a 1-9 twist but they shoot fine for me. I'm pushing them around 3050 fps.

Thanks mcr-85. 3050 fps is great with those bullets. I was not able to get that out of a 7RemMag with the Berger 168 and stay accurate. My 130s only hit 3150 before groups started to swell.

Anyone else shooting the 170's?

mcr-85

WKR
I've got a 28” barrel so that helps with getting some speed. I'm sure I could push them a little harder but I figured groups would probably start opening up. I think Dotman was shooting them out of a 270 ai or 270 win if I remember right. He shot them for rokslides review and I won 25 bullets in that thread.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a 28” barrel so that helps with getting some speed. I'm sure I could push them a little harder but I figured groups would probably start opening up. I think Dotman was shooting them out of a 270 ai or 270 win if I remember right. He shot them for rokslides review and I won 25 bullets in that thread.

I'm confused, I thought he was testing the 7mm 195s

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Too much testing to keep up with! Thanks

mcr-85

WKR
That's one of the good things about Rokslide. Lots of testing and giveaways. Thanks Robby

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
And thanks back to all you guys for making it all possible, plus I see some dang good member testing going on here