The 300 project..... Ghetto 2.0 --- Groups for LR experienced advice?

micus

Lil-Rokslider
So some updates regarding my little project.
the rifle is a Rem 700SPS SS in 300RUM.

Mods to date:
Action "accurized lvl 1" by Rocky Mountain rifles
Trigger Tech drop in
Terminator brake
B&C Alaskan TI stock
Action bedding

All up weight with scope and rings 8.6lb. The vortex viper I am running now is a pig-considering replacements.

I am just messing around with charges at this point and am getting sub moa on basically all charges. My question is what is a better indicator of potential accuracy, vertical stringing with little horizontal deviation OR horizontal deviation with little vertical variance.

I am interested most in 87.5-88Grns (low charge) and 91grns (hot) these three being the tightest, 91 stacking them with almost no horizontal deviation.

I haven't started with seating depths yet, running 200Grn AB's for this test at nosler's recommended COAL.

Thanks

Attachments

• rum group 4.jpg
    rum group 4.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 145
  • rum group 3.jpg
    rum group 3.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 127
  • rum group 2.jpg
    rum group 2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 115
  • rum group 1.jpg
    rum group 1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 112
  • rum bc 2.jpg
    rum bc 2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 128

nwbow87

FNG
I'd say horizontal would indicate trigger finger stuff. Vertical would be more breathing .If you're shooting sub 1"....well done sir. That's a harvesting machine right there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What's the velocity and ES/SD of the loads? Fine tune your loads with seating depth and then you can retest small powder changes or a primer change. Shoot them at longer range and see how they are grouping also.

OP
M

micus

Lil-Rokslider
What's the velocity and ES/SD of the loads? Fine tune your loads with seating depth and then you can retest small powder changes or a primer change. Shoot them at longer range and see how they are grouping also.

This is only my second time out with the rifle, I was going to figure out what grouped best for me before I ran it over the chrony and built tables for it.

Nosler advertises the SD as .301, according to the tables I should be around 3060FPS with the 200Gr AB

I have found that groups with flatter horizontal strings would be better. Vertical strings indicate velocity changes as well as the barrel heating up. Horizontal strings have the same velocity, it's just the wind, or you, moving the bullet. It is definitely harder to ladder test a rifle that shoots really well at 100 yards. I would load some ammo and shoot 5 shot groups at 300 to 500 yards, if you have a place to shoot that far. It should make it easier to pinpoint exactly which load the rifle likes the best. Just my .02 cents and worth the price charged.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
M

micus

Lil-Rokslider
He's talking about the extreme spread and standard deviation of your velocity. Not sectional density

haha ahh that makes a bit more sense. I will have to set up the chrony, I would expect to have a minimal ES as I weigh each charge individually on a digi scale to the .00 of a grain. But again, who knows till the chrony is out.

FURMAN

WKR
I don't know what distances you have available to shoot but I do all my load development with a ladder test at at least 600 yds. I am looking for less than .5moa vertical across at least .6 grains charge difference. I take the middle powder charge and play with seating depth.

bradb

WKR
Just because you weigh each charge does not mean your SD will be low. Lots of variables. A primer or neck tension could send it way high or low.

OP
M

micus

Lil-Rokslider

Finally ran this over the Chrony.

20 Rds all various depths for testing
Lo:2982
Hi:3047
Es:64.58
SD: 15.71
Av:3019

dotman

WKR
I have found that groups with flatter horizontal strings would be better. Vertical strings indicate velocity changes as well as the barrel heating up. Horizontal strings have the same velocity, it's just the wind, or you, moving the bullet. It is definitely harder to ladder test a rifle that shoots really well at 100 yards. I would load some ammo and shoot 5 shot groups at 300 to 500 yards, if you have a place to shoot that far. It should make it easier to pinpoint exactly which load the rifle likes the best. Just my .02 cents and worth the price charged.

I agree, hard to ladder test at 100 yards. I would go 200 or 300+.

Finally ran this over the Chrony.

20 Rds all various depths for testing
Lo:2982
Hi:3047
Es:64.58
SD: 15.71
Av:3019
Changing the seating depth will change the velocity, even with the same powder charge. As long as you're taking good notes on what seating depth did what with the bullets you should be fine. And you definitely need to move farther out for ladder testing.

Also, pictures, we love seeing pictures of targets, dead animals, anything.

mtmuley

WKR
Take the 91 gr Accubond load and adjust seating depth. I would seat to mag length. Then go out and kill stuff. mtmuley

OP
M

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Changing the seating depth will change the velocity, even with the same powder charge. As long as you're taking good notes on what seating depth did what with the bullets you should be fine. And you definitely need to move farther out for ladder testing.

Also, pictures, we love seeing pictures of targets, dead animals, anything.

It just so happens my Fiancee is away and I have been bear hunting the past two afternoons. I can oblige w pics.

New pack/day hunting setup/NAB vs A-Frame/ Group-- Thoughts?

Attachments

• hunting pics 8.jpg
    hunting pics 8.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 50
  • hunting pics 1.jpg
    hunting pics 1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 46
  • hunting pics 5.jpg
    hunting pics 5.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 44
  • hunting pics 6.jpg
    hunting pics 6.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 40
  • hunting pics 4.jpg
    hunting pics 4.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 43
OP
M

micus

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy from work who has a ton more experience then me is allowing me to tag along on a backpack Grizz tag he drew early may. I'm going in with a black bear OTC tag and will hunt the same unit with him.

What do you guys think about rifles. I just finished having the RUM put together BUTTTT, in a moment of weakness I picked up this New old Stock CZ550 lux in .270 a couple weeks ago.

What should I bring?

RUM:
power
durability
is dialed
range

CZ:
beautiful

Attachments

• hunting pics 2.jpg
    hunting pics 2.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 32
  • hunting pics 3.jpg
    hunting pics 3.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 38
I'd bring the RUM in a heartbeat. I have heard too many stories of how wood stocks behave in moist environments. Both rifles are beautiful.