Balance of long distance with weight and maneuverability

Adburks

FNG
I am currently in the process of selling a rifle that I will replace with a more pack hunting friendly weapon. I am leaning towards Remington 700 in Manners carbon fiber stock. A 22" 300 wm should get to 1k with ease, while still managing to retain some value as a brush gun. I shoot up to 1k frequently. The titanium options are out of my price range, as well as the carbon fiber barrels. Is there other options I should consider? Bear in my mind I would like to stay around 1500$.

Axlrod

WKR
That is a tough one. I have been in search of the same for many years and tried many guns. I have a 22" 270 but that is a 5-600 yd deal. A T-C Encore with a 26" barrel in 280 AI is pretty compact and I have taken Elk and deer past 700 yds. With a custom barrel its a sub $1000 gun shoots 1/2 moa. Have a hvy 26" 300 wm that is a hammer. Been using a 28 nos with a 26" + a brake. My next one will be a Christensen. Take a look at a Kimber hunter. Dont know what kind of vel you will get with a 22" in 300 wm

I've been chasing the same unicorn for three years. The right combination of accuracy (1/2 MOA is my requirement), weight, size, and reach is hard to find at that price. I'm going to buy a Q Fix, and barrels in 6.5 Creedmoor and 300 WSM. But at over 3k, that's out of your stated budget. There are lighter stocks than Manners, check out Wildcat Composites for the Remington or PDI if you want to go the Tikka route. Stockys has some other CF options for the Remington that are in stock for around $500, and weigh around the 26 oz mark. Tikka will likely save the cost of blueprinting, the Remington will need it. 1500 is a hard budget for a 1k worthy mountain rifle, Bullseye Precision's prices are close if you just have them do a barreled action.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
A

Adburks

FNG
For a little more background I've carried a savage 110 fcp 338 lapua for the last few years and finally said enough. I've heard good things about the Tikkas for sure...and more bad about the newer Remington's. The 28 nosler shooting the 195 Bergers is certainly intriguing, it looks like I need to just go ahead and plan on spending some more money. The christenson and the kimber are both interesting options, I have never had any experience with either company. I've read accuracy can be hit or miss with the christenson but I don't trust reviews nowadays.

I sold my Christensen because of accuracy issues. Getting it to do .75 MOA was a struggle, and that was the best it ever did. It was just a 6.5 CM. I don't think that the kimber is really going to be long range worthy. I researched for months and concluded that a Tikka action, CF stock, and Proof barrel are the way to go. Then I decided I wanted a folding stock and never built the gun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Eagle

WKR
I'm currently going down this path as well. I just bought a tikka that I will rebarrel at some point down the road and put into a wildcat composites stock. All up, this gun should be under 7 pounds with loaded mag and a roughly 16oz scope. 1k distance may be asking too much out of this gun with my planned finished package, but cost wise, it will be a light weight, accurate gun on a budget.

If I'm able to sale a couple of the components the gun came with, and do all the stock work for the wildcates composite stock, I should have just over $900 in the gun and stock. New barrel and scope obviously have a large degree of cost difference depending on which route I take, but in the end it will be a lighter and cheaper alternative to the Cooper Model 92 I was considering.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
I've chased my tail on the same unicorn hunt as well. I eventually talked to Travis at Rbros rifles and had him build me one. I highly recommend talking with him. He builds a great rifle and is willing to work with you on budget.

OP
A

Adburks

FNG
I've chased my tail on the same unicorn hunt as well. I eventually talked to Travis at Rbros rifles and had him build me one. I highly recommend talking with him. He builds a great rifle and is willing to work with you on budget.

Thanks I'll look into these guys

Fireguy

WKR

Don't leave us hanging!! What did you have built? What are the specs? Weight? I've been eyeballing them for a while for a build.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is basically his lw Hunter but he did it on a rem 700 to save me some money. I went with 26" 300 win mag. Running 210 bergers at 2975. Manners stock nightforce nxs and Harris bipod. It's a little over 10 lbs all up. Its not the lightest but I didn't have carbon fiber barrel and titanium action in the budget. Also NF and Harris not the lightest but they are dependable. I was trying to balance weight price and performance. I've had a couple tikkas, a savage lrh, and a 700ks mtn rifle before and this is what I've landed on and honestly don't see myself changing anything any time soon. Used it to kill my bull this year at about 100 yds. Travis is super nice guy and I had a few phone conversations with him before he started on my gun. Anyway good luck hope you find what you're looking for.

OP
A

Adburks

FNG
Well here's the update on what I am building. Started with a Stiller Tac 300, having a 24" bartlein in Rem varmint countour chambered in 300wm. Using a barrel nut system from southern precision rifles called the bugnut, hopefully it turns out well. Found a McMillan A3 edge tech, just waiting on the barrel at this point.

excaliber

WKR
I'm not familiar with the barrel nut system on the barrel but in Rem Varmint contour that 24" barrel will weigh around 3.85 lbs. The Stiller action is just under 2 pounds, same for the McMillan stock. Add in the bottom metal/mag box and a scope & sling and you'll be close to 10 pounds or more. Are you putting a brake on it?

The reason I ask is I have a 26" Bartein #3 5R barrel on my gun with similar weights on stock etc and my gun weighs 9-3/4 lbs with scope etc.. I think yours is going to be heavier with that heavier barrel contour.

OP
A

Adburks

FNG
Excaliber, I think I will be around ten pounds for sure. I am going to be running a area 419 Hellfire muzzle brake. I can take it on and off with no tools which is good for hunting. Area 419 is also in the process of building a suppressor mount that will work with so I can switch back and forth in the field with no tools. Now I'm down to optics.......I'm finding it to be a more challenging decision than the rifle.

I just put together a rifle using Remington 700 action , 26 inch Brux #3 with mbm brake, mcmillan edge fill game hunter stock, bdl bottom metal, tally light weight rings and a Leopold vx6 3-18. Total weight as above is 8 pounds 12 ounces. It shoots a 212 eldx at 2945 with a best group of .196. Not the lightest but very packable and I am really happy with how it's shooting. Just read on another forum where a guy built the same rifle as mine, same stock etc., but used a carbon fiber wrapped barrel and his weight was 7 pounds 12 ounces.

I should have added, I bought everything for this build new not counting scope and rings i am into it for $1601.00

mtmuley

WKR
Remington 700 BDL SS in an Alaskan TI, no bedding block. 26 inch barrel, no brake. 4-12 VX-2 with CDS (these scopes are light, and amazingly tough for the price.) Chambered in .300 RUM, 200 grain Accubonds at 3200 fps. Best group at 1K at 4.5 inches. Rifle, scope, sling and a full magazine goes 8 pounds 4 ounces. Into it about 1200 bucks including a trigger job. It can be done. mtmuley

FURMAN

WKR
I would look at a Christensen Mesa or Ridgeline. I think you are rolling the dice with a Remington. Their QC is almost non existent these days. I have a Mesa that is shooting .5 and a Ridgeline that is doing even better. I have a second Ridgeline I am working up a load for. Keep in mind the lighter is gets the more difficult it will be to shoot accurately.