$2500, what do you get?

FURMAN

WKR
That Ridgeline will do nothing a $700 Tikka won't except cost more.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

I disagree. IMO you get a better stock,
trigger and dare I say.... barrel. Oh,
you can also get a 300 RUM.

I own six Tikka's and they don't all shoot like some would like to think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4ester

WKR
I disagree. IMO you get a better stock,
trigger and dare I say.... barrel. Oh,
you can also get a 300 RUM.

I own six Tikka's and they don't all shoot like some would like to think.

Not all CA Ridgelines shoot that well. To get the full accuracy out of a rifle you must reload. And CA will void your warranty if you roll your own.

Not a tikka fan, but not a CA fan either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Not all CA Ridgelines shoot that well. To get the full accuracy out of a rifle you must reload. And CA will void your warranty if you roll your own.

Not a tikka fan, but not a CA fan either.

I don't disagree with you. All companies make dudes.

Broz

WKR
I'm gonna check out the Christensen Arms Ridgeline in .300win mag price is right and I can put some great glass on it and still come under budget. thanks for all the recommendations guys.

We just got 300 wm Ridgeline in for review. Preliminary bench testing and inspection looks very nice. I can offer this about a Tika 300 win mag. They suck as far as reamer spec in relation to mag box length. Its like having a 300 win mag with a .308 Win mag box. That stuff really pisses me off. The Ridgeline will load to the lands with high BC bullets and still fit cycle from the mag.

Jeff

FURMAN

WKR
I definitely agree if you want a caliber that Tikka does not make and agree even more if you have a certain bullet in mind the Christensen may be a better option but from what I have seen Christensen Arms lower end rifles don't always shoot well. Like already stated they all make duds. I have a few and have been around a few other Tikkas that shoot .5 moa. I am looking forward to Broz's review of the Ridgeline. Maybe he can change my mind. I personally think it's worth another couple hundred dollars to get the rifle built the way I want. I would also love to see a real review on the Fierce CT Edge.

Broz

WKR
I am actually handing the Ridge line off to my son for review. And a 300 Classic II off to our new editor Jordan Kauer. I think also we will shoot factory ammo in the RL too. We need more than one mans opinion. There are many good factory offerings and 300 win ammo with some great bullet choices. We figure a majority of the Ridgline buyers may not hand load. So we need some factory ammo data on this one. As for price point. Anytime I build a full custom I spend $4000 plus less optics. The one I have going together now is over 4K and that's not counting smith charges and machining. But I bet the sucker shoots, feeds and does what I want it to.

Jeff

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

Not a tikka fan, but not a CA fan either

The reloading part is not entirely true. If you get after them, they will help.

OP
D

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider

Well, Tikka was never on the table. I had a T3 in .308. Hated the trigger and hated the stock. Sure, I could swap the trigger and buy a new stock. Just not my thing. I'm not a reloader or at least I haven't reloaded since about 2006. Higher end factory loads have done everything I've needed them to do and I haven't had to sit in front of a bench. I get more enjoyment sending rounds downrange than I do sitting at a bench. Same thing I do with fly fishing, I've tied a few just to do it and realized if I factor in my time spent tying I could buy a few dozen of the same thing and spend the extra time actually fishing. Everyone gets a kick out of different things, I'd rather be behind the trigger and in the river.

OP
D

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am actually handing the Ridge line off to my son for review. And a 300 Classic II off to our new editor Jordan Kauer. I think also we will shoot factory ammo in the RL too. We need more than one mans opinion. There are many good factory offerings and 300 win ammo with some great bullet choices. We figure a majority of the Ridgline buyers may not hand load. So we need some factory ammo data on this one. As for price point. Anytime I build a full custom I spend $4000 plus less optics. The one I have going together now is over 4K and that's not counting smith charges and machining. But I bet the sucker shoots, feeds and does what I want it to.

Jeff

I'll be looking forward to the review. I'm gonna pick mine up around the middle of March when I go to Austin to visit.

4ester

WKR
The reloading part is not entirely true. If you get after them, they will help.

They were contacted many times with no resolution.

You shouldn't have to "get after them" to honor their own warranty. Any reputable custom rifle builder would expect you to reload their rifles, and honor it regardless.

Back on topic:

$2500 to spend?

Personally I would go with a custom 700 build with a Proof Barrel.

FURMAN

WKR
I absolutely agree with less time messing around and more time with actually hunting. I just can't wrap my head around building a custom rifle to shoot factory ammo and then expect to ethically shoot animals long range. If I am spending the money to build a rifle I want all the performance I can get out of it and If I am shooting at animals at long range it becomes even more important. If I am not shooting animals long range then I would not waste my money on anything over 600-700 dollars plus optics. There is some great info in this thread so I have no doubt you will figure out what is important to you.

Crapshoot

WKR
Here is my opinion base on what I have owned and shot. Remember, opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one.

#1, Fierce Edge. I currently have 2 and both are well build and shot sub .5 with factory ammo. Perfect balance and weight
#2. Winchester Extreme Weather. Between me and my family members we have owned a half dozen. Very accurate, Good balance. Best Value.
#3. Cooper M56 &M52. My M56 in 300 Win is a true .25 gun. The M92's I don't care for the flimsy stock and pencil barrel. Weak Mag's on all.
#4. Montana Rifle Co. Well build, Accurate but in need of a diet. Balance not so great.
#5. LAW. Nice gun but fiberglass stock is lacking.
#6 Tikka's. I don't do plastic. for the same money , I would buy a Winchester.
#7. Kimber's. I have heard that they are improved. owned them early on and they were junk.
#8. Weatherby's. I love these beautiful guns but they are not that accurate in Weatherby Calibers.

OP
D

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I absolutely agree with less time messing around and more time with actually hunting. I just can't wrap my head around building a custom rifle to shoot factory ammo and then expect to ethically shoot animals long range. If I am spending the money to build a rifle I want all the performance I can get out of it and If I am shooting at animals at long range it becomes even more important. If I am not shooting animals long range then I would not waste my money on anything over 600-700 dollars plus optics. There is some great info in this thread so I have no doubt you will figure out what is important to you.

I've used factory loads out of a Sendero 7mag to shoot 600-700 yards and never had issues. I'm not really looking to stretch out much further than that other than on paper. I am taking a class at Rifles Only and get to shoot out to 1000 to 1200 yards. it'll be fun, but at this point in my life i'm not comfortable with my skills (or lack thereof) at that distance to shoot at an animal. I think it's freakin awesome people can, but I'm not at that level.

JigStick

WKR
You could build a very nice custom rifle with that budget. Ill stick with a hunting rifle style because this is a hunting forum to give you an example.

Stiller Tac30 action in 300wsm
McMillan Hunters stock with Edge Technology
Jewell or Timney trigger
Krieger or Bartlein #2 or #3 barrel
Talley Ultralite rings

Depending on what optic you choose you could have an extremely light and hard hitting hunting rifle. We have a few guns in different calibers built with these components. And they are tack drivers and very nice to carry around

wildcat33

WKR
You could build a very nice custom rifle with that budget. Ill stick with a hunting rifle style because this is a hunting forum to give you an example.

Stiller Tac30 action in 300wsm
McMillan Hunters stock with Edge Technology
Jewell or Timney trigger
Krieger or Bartlein #2 or #3 barrel
Talley Ultralite rings

Depending on what optic you choose you could have an extremely light and hard hitting hunting rifle. We have a few guns in different calibers built with these components. And they are tack drivers and very nice to carry around

Thats a nice build but you'll be $1k over budget.

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
My set up came in under your budget. 300 win mag Savage Bear Hunter, Seekins rings, used Nightforce NSX scope, harris bipod. I have a scope level, changed out the bolt knob and a raised cheek rest. Again, all came in under $2500 and is sub moa with factory ammo.

I price shopped around and bought most everything online. It all came together very nicely and couldnt be happier with the end result. That brake tames it down so you can shoot it all day without any worries other than waiting for the barrel to cool off.

pldawg

FNG
Cooper Backcountry...that way you know it's going to shoot well and it's light weight. You could put a heavy scope like a NightForce ATACR 5-25 and still be just over 8 pounds and really reach out there if you want to.