$2500, what do you get?

garyw

FNG
If you are interested in a cooper model 92 back country in 7RM proven to shoot. see post #139 thru post #157 in the firearms forum under cooper model 92 rifle. a lot of us have them and really like them. read what 8nbait has written about working up his loads and the targets he's posted. I have the same rifle and mine is a sure nuff shooter. the rifle weighs 5 lbs and 12 oz. with a leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40mm 30mm ,cds, side paralax and talley lightweight rings and bases it weighs 7 lbs 1 oz. check it out and contact 8nbait if interested. I think he is asking $2475.00 they cost new $2797.00. His has only been shot at the range and not many rounds at that.

JigStick

WKR
Thats a nice build but you'll be $1k over budget.

McMillan Hunters Edge Stock with full inlet: $636
Stiller Tac 30 SA: $975
Chambered Krieger barrel: $550
Jewell HVR Trigger: $250
Talley Rings: $50
PTG Bottom Metal: $100

Total: $2561.00

Bedding job: $150 or so

so you are right in the ball park. And for the difference of $150 you would be foolish NOT to go with a custom gun.

deadwolf

WKR
McMillan Hunters Edge Stock with full inlet: $636
Stiller Tac 30 SA: $975
Chambered Krieger barrel: $550
Jewell HVR Trigger: $250
Talley Rings: $50
PTG Bottom Metal: $100

Total: $2561.00

Bedding job: $150 or so

so you are right in the ball park. And for the difference of $150 you would be foolish NOT to go with a custom gun.

And the gunsmith does it all for free?! : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JigStick

WKR
My gunsmith charges $550 for a chambered barrel. And roughly $150 for a bedding job depending on the stock and action. Cerakote, bead blasting, muzzle brakes is all extra. So the prices I mentioned are pretty accurate. A lot of people are used to choking on GAP and LRI prices, but there are plenty of other extremely talented gunsmiths out there charging much more reasonable rates.

rayporter

WKR
jigstick is very close.Services
Home

as said there are lot of great smiths out there that dont rip you off.

i posted above the same costs with work done by a winning smith. and after that you can swap out barrels and calibers when ever you want by your self. anytime, no headspace gauges, just have a barrel shipped to the smith and he will mail it to you when done. you remove your old barrel and screw on the new one. it is done all the time.

gathering up parts is half the fun. and pride of ownership will be through the roof.

starsky

FNG
I'd build a rifle that will weigh 6lbs with a scope on it and have the potential to shoot a 1/2 MOA 3 shot group at 500.

Or buy a Kimber Adirondack, bed it, and be there turn-key.

GKPrice

Banned
I'd build a rifle that will weigh 6lbs with a scope on it and have the potential to shoot a 1/2 MOA 3 shot group at 500.

Or buy a Kimber Adirondack, bed it, and be there turn-key.

As stated numerous times in multiple threads, Kimbers are well designed rifles but, at least at this point in time, it's a roll of the dice to buy one unless you have a good gunsmith to troubleshoot and correct issues making that fact a fair estimate to figure in the cost of a Kimber - You might get lucky but you might get real Unlucky too - This is coming from a true Kimber fan

$2500 is a well chosen price point, Tikka SL, Win Extreme Weather, X-bolt, Weatherby Backcountry, etc ... are all probably in the 90 +% good customer satisfied category but when a person has resigned themselves to spending $2500 you'd be solidly in the "love it or dislike it" club - If I had $2500 sitting on the table that wasn't needed for anything else HONESTLY I'd gather a bit more and buy a NULA, but that's just me - Budget is the ONLY reason I don't own one ..... but a true lightweight with a steadfast promise from the builder isn't for everyone

dotman

WKR
My gunsmith charges $550 for a chambered barrel. And roughly $150 for a bedding job depending on the stock and action. Cerakote, bead blasting, muzzle brakes is all extra. So the prices I mentioned are pretty accurate. A lot of people are used to choking on GAP and LRI prices, but there are plenty of other extremely talented gunsmiths out there charging much more reasonable rates.

I actually found GAP to have reasonable prices, Kevin Weaver was expensive I thought. Yeah I think one could find reasonable services but you better get plenty of references or you may get a dud, part of paying for known smiths is knowing they'll take care of you and that their quality of final construction is very consistent.

I guess I look at it like buying Kifaru vs eberlestock in the pack world.

excaliber

WKR
There's lots of ways to go. You don't have to have a 1000.00+ action to make a shooter. If you didn't have a donor action like I did then a custom action would be the way to go.

I had a Rem 700 in 300 win mag and I went this route

Rem 700 550.00
Bartlien 5R #3 barrel 340.00
Gun Smith True action etc./ new recoil lug/bedded /work stock/ install barrel/ gunkote/ install brake .... 1100.00
Timney trigger 130.00
HS Precision stock 340.00
Gunkote barrel 100.00

The gun weighs 9 3/4 lbs with scope on it.

total 2560.00 If my math is correct not including scope

This the best money I ever spent on a rifle. It's a one holer as my buddy says.

warrant

WKR
Nosler M48 Long Ranger 300WM or 30 Nosler

warrant

WKR
Those are just s 1500.00 vanguard, Colossal pieces of shit in my experiences with them.

That is good to hear. I have really been looking at the 300 WM. I don't have any experience with them but I will probably look another direction when the time to buy comes around.

Thanks

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'd rather have a tikka.

I am just gonna do what the media does and cherry pick this line by itself with no context. Let it be known WRO would rather have a Tikka :D

And thats saying something cause he's hates Tikkka. :)

WRO

WKR
I am just gonna do what the media does and cherry pick this line by itself with no context. Let it be known WRO would rather have a Tikka :D

And thats saying something cause he's hates Tikkka. :)
lol, I did throw up a little bit in my mouth typing that..

I'm not a tikka fan, but that is purely based on aesthetics, not performance.

I think most savages are unattractive compared to even Rosie O'Donnell, that being said, in my hands on experience with them, they shoot pretty darned good.

2500???

750$ for a Tikka super lite and 1800$ for fuel and ammo. My math sucks I know. Lol

Tpmahler1

FNG
what would you recommend for a good all around gun without getting super crazy in a build with price etc? I like the idea of having a gun that is one of a kind but I don't reload and I don't want to spend 5000. I am thinking around 2000 before scope would be my budget. I would like lightweight accurate and somewhat custom, thoughts?