$2500, what do you get?

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
So, you have $2500 to spend on a rifle that you want to take in the mountains for elk and mule deer. Backpacking in sometimes, but also using either a packer or llamas. What do you get?? And no, this doesn't include optics. I'm saying quality rifle preferably in a .30 cal variant. I'm fond of the .300 WinMag.

Clarktar

WKR
So, you have $2500 to spend on a rifle that you want to take in the mountains for elk and mule deer. Backpacking in sometimes, but also using either a packer or llamas. What do you get?? And no, this doesn't include optics. I'm saying quality rifle preferably in a .30 cal variant. I'm fond of the .300 WinMag.
300 win mag. I would try to price out components for a build, but not brand new. I would scour classifieds. Often see defiance actions and others listed at good prices. If you are right handed it is easy to find a like new used stock (McMillan, etc.) . Might have to buy the barrel new.

That would be my route, if not that I would look for a high quality used rifle.

I'm one of those people that rarely but things new

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I know two guys that bought a 300 WM in a REM Sendaro and they switched the triggers out for a Jewel, and bedded the action. Both rifles shoot 210gr Berger's .60-.75 MOA edge to edge as long as they do their part. This is one option, but as stated above you can look for used actions, and then find a barrel and stock. They might not be exactly what you want, and if that is the case then a barrel from Brux is usually 4-6 weeks (just as a reference) if they don't have them in stock, and McMillian is usually 6 months out. Then once all of your components are obtained, there is still the wait time for your gunsmith to work his magic and get the rifle to you. Basically about 10-12 months.

Soooo, if you don't have that time to wait and don't have the cash in the neighborhood of 3000-3500 for a build, then used custom rifle or a Sendaro is right up your alley.

For a comparison, my 300 shoots 210's a touch under .5 edger to edge, and those Sendaro's are .6. So let's say an extra 1500-2000 for a gain of .12 MOA. Your choice.

rayporter

WKR
if you want a custom action on it you may need a couple more bucks but not a lot.
Home

1000 custom remington clone- kelbly or stiller action
300 barrel
200 trigger
500 stock [ brunos lists an H and S for 350$]
650 smithing

2650 $ total for the major stuff [ or 2500$ if you use the H and S stock]

if you already have a remington action you can do it easy for 2500$ cause basically all you need it a barrel and stock and gunsmithing.

customs rifles have other strong points. you can have a barrel shipped to your smith and change calibers or barrel lengths and screw it on yourself.

OP
D

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Well, with rifle and optics I've jut got to stay under $5k total. I'd be interested to see what could be done with that. I do want to re-iterate the mountain hunting. I think anymore than 8-10lbs and I may not like lugging it around much.

I got rid of a few spots in the safe that never saw the range or woods. I had a Sendero in 7mag that I jut got rid of too heavy to hunt in the mountains I thought. I also parted with a 25-06 in a 700 CDL and a 700 BDL in 243.

Jon Boy

WKR
Christensen or cooper is where my money would be. The LAWS look good on paper but my room mates was a dud and is back at the factory right now

dotman

WKR
LPA Razor ti action
Kreiger #1 barrel 22-24" finished
Mcmillian Ultralight mountain hunter
Trigger
Hawkins precision bottom metal
Tally lw rings
Swaro Z5

Should be under $5k easy and under 7lbs total maybe even 6.5lbs.

FURMAN

WKR
My last Pierce Engineering rifle was about $3500. I am pretty fond of Sightron SIIIs. I am at around $4400.00 total. My Pierce titanium is still under $5000.00 for everything. I think if you bedded the rifle yourself and skipped on the nitriding/Cerakote I had done Pierce could build you pretty much whatever you wanted for under $3000.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
You're going to get lots of opinions.

I would look at the Copper Backcountry 92. If you shoot a lot, you can get a barrel replacement for 150 bucks.

If you want to stay with a short bolt throw look at the Fierce.

I would also look at the Christensen Arms Mesa or Ridgeline. Checked out the Mesa at Shot. Looks badass!

You could also go the semi-custom route with several different factory rifles.

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
I also agree with the Cooper Backcountry 92 in a "factory" offering. My Cooper 300WM is extremely accurate.

Before that was announced, I started a 7mmRM build (could easily have been a 300WM) with a Hart 23" #3 barrel, Pierce Ti action with bolt lightening option, Pierce Ti muzzle brake, Pierce Ti recoil lug, Manners EH-1 stock, Timney Calvin Elite trigger, Warne 1" rings, and Vortex Razor HD LD scope. I added a short rail for an Atlas bipod. Without the bipod, this comes in at 7.8 lbs. All in, I've got under $5K invested with Pierce doing all the gunsmithing and it is a tack driver.

The main advantage to a custom or semi-custom is that you can pick the reamer used if you reload. It might cost you a couple hundred for a custom reamer, but well worth it if you want seat the bullets long for more case capacity.

-David

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Christensen Arms Mesa or Ridgeline
Fierce Edge or Fury
Cooper Backcountry
Browning XBOLT Pro

Great advice here on the $2500 question

For your $5000 question, take a look on Gun Broker and you will find a ton of Blaser R8 professional packages with Zeiss and Swarovski scopes included. I'm very fond of my R8; takes down into a small package for travel and goes back together with precision. VERY versatile.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
For the price point you set Cooper would get my vote. Not the lightest option, but can't beat their accuracy guarantee.

WestNE

WKR
I'll throw a vote out for fierce, the edge is where my money would be. The stocks are light and quality compares well with McMillan or manners in my eyes, short throw bolt, 1/2moa guaranteed, perhaps the biggest pro is they hit a sweet spot for my on weight, just a hair under 7 which for me allows me to shoot it well without discomfort on long hikes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
D

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm gonna check out the Christensen Arms Ridgeline in .300win mag price is right and I can put some great glass on it and still come under budget. thanks for all the recommendations guys.