Lightweight 28 nosler build plan

Hey everyone
Here is my plan for my next build please give some opinions as I want to get it right

Lone peak razor ti action
Manners stock eh1 or eh2 can't decide
Carbon barrel either 25 or 26" plus break not sure which maker looking at hardy, benchmark (frozen fiber) or carbon six
Trigger tech trigger
Hawkins long range hybrid 25 moa rings
Possibly Hawkins bottom metal if I can get it
Looking to keep gun as close to 6lbs as possible to be able to run a bigger scope and stay around 8lbs all finished
Thanks for any opinions or suggestions

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The scope is the hardest part! Good components!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
I have a huskemaw 5-20 blue diamond or a Swarovski z5 3-18 on the shelf to choose from would like to keep the gun light enough to use the huskemaw

Sounds like a great choice of parts! I'd be sure to go 8 twist and throat it properly depending on which bullets you intend to shoot.

OP
S
I want to shoot the Hornady eldx but will depend what the barrel likes I guess

Boman

Lil-Rokslider
You've got a great list of parts, top notch all the way. I'm not familiar with your carbon barrel choices. I'm sure you looked at Proof. I'd say you'll be very close to 6lbs so I'd choose a high quality scope and go. If you want to use that Huskemaw then you should. It's a great light weight long range option. You must post pictures of your rig when it's done

OP
S
Parts are ordered I'll try to figure out how to post pics and as I get parts I'll post weights and a short review of initial thoughts
As for the frozen fiber barrel it's a benchmark barrel that frozen fiber wraps and from the few smith's and fclass shooters I've talked to with experience with them said they're the best carbon barrel on the market right now so we will see I loved my steel benchmark

OP
S
I've also decided 8 twist 5r Barrel and shooting the 180gr berger hunting bullets never shot bergers before hope they are a good hunting bullet at all ranges

8nbait

Lil-Rokslider
At the speeds you will be pushing the 180's I would opt for the Bergers over the ELDX, in my experience on animals the ELDX does better under 2300 fps impact velocity. A close shot with the bergers will still perform if put through the lungs. Also, I get excessive copper fouling from the ELDX bullets if pushed too fast. Sounds like a great build.

OP
S
Yes I'm now leaning towards the 180 bergers as Ivery been given advice by some hi end shooter types hahaha just not sure if the hunting vld or the target hybrids

You'll be closer to 7 lbs than 6. My carbon barrels run a bit less than a factory #3 barrel (3 lb 3.4 oz for a 26" 300 win mag barrel), LPA Razor Ti is 1 lb 6 oz, Trigger: 2 oz, BDL bottom metal: 6 oz, EH1 stock after bedding is 32 oz. I literally just disassembled a 300 winmag for you to pull these weights. If you're curious a Stiller Predator LA is 1 lb 12.3 oz :)
That is 7 lbs pretty much on the nose, with no muzzle brake (Xtreme HC Gear brakes run 4 oz), or scope rings. Chris at Frozen fiber is just using a lightweight #2 or #3 sporter barrel and wrapping that same contour with CF so his barrels won't be any lighter than 3 lbs I gaurantee you that.

BTW there is NOTHING wrong with a 7 lb rifle! My Carbon 280AI is 6.75 lbs bare rifle and it's borderline too light for consistent shots past 800 yards.

Mike

OP
S
My stock will be a bit lighter I went with a precision rifleworks stock made by McMillan it's 23ish oz before bedding

jeffpg

WKR
Here's my recent build:

APR Custom
28 Nosler
26" Proof Research Light Sendero 1-8 Twist
Threaded 5/8x24 w/ Pierce Titanium Muzzle Brake
Pierce Titanium Action w/ Titanium Bolt
Titanium Recoil Lug
Jewell HVR Trigger
APR BDL Bottom Metal
Manners EH3 Midnight Camo
5lbs 15.9oz

gabenzeke

WKR
Any word on the recoil on that lightweight rifle? Looking to do something similar. Was googling rifle builds and this thread came up, so sorry if this is real old.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Big Ern

WKR
Looks like a great build. The scope is gonna be the tough part to keep the weight down. For Alpha glass not a lot of lightweight options.

OP
S
With the 3 port break the recoil was minimal.
Any word on the recoil on that lightweight rifle? Looking to do something similar. Was googling rifle builds and this thread came up, so sorry if this is real old.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk