Looking for help building load for 7mm rem mag 162 GR ELD-X

HUNT JR

WKR
Want to build a load for 162 gr eldx in my 7mm rem mag. what are you guys using or suggest as a starting point?

mt100gr.

WKR
Do you have the components? Which powders, primers, etc do you have available?

The first thing I would suggest is see how well the factory offering with that bullet shoots. You might get lucky!

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have the components? Which powders, primers, etc do you have available?

The first thing I would suggest is see how well the factory offering with that bullet shoots. You might get lucky!

That's pretty solid advice,

I did this with my 6.5 Creedmoor, if you have a bullet puller ( buy one if not ) you can copy the charge wt and COAL if the factory rounds are shooting for you. The Hornady precision hunter was sub MOA for me so I just copied it.

Micus, how exactly did you determine what type of powder and primers were being used in the factory ammunition? To my knowledge, copying charge weights of factory loads is not exactly safe. Sometimes Factory Powder can be a proprietary mix that cannot be replicated by the hand loader. In such cases burn rates, velocities and pressures cannot be replicated also. Which makes for a dangerous scenario. It may have worked out for you, but it's probably not a good idea to go that route.

OP
HUNT JR

HUNT JR

WKR
I have all the components, just looking to see what you guys are using and find a place to start and tinker from there

I am running Norma brass, Winchester LRM primers, 68.5 gr. of H-1000 (Hornadys published max) pushing a 162 gr. ELD-X. If I were you I'd get a manual and work up. I get .5 MOA all day as long as I do my part.

mt100gr.

WKR
I am running Norma brass, Winchester LRM primers, 68.5 gr. of H-1000 (Hornadys published max) pushing a 162 gr. ELD-X. If I were you I'd get a manual and work up. I get .5 MOA all day as long as I do my part.

Might as well tell us what rifle you're shooting too :) and what velocity?

Just when I think I am going to stick with my Berger load I see a recipe where all I need is the bullet - one I kind of want to try anyway.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
win brass, fed 215m, start at 68gr retumbo and work up. sweet spot should be somewhere around 70gr. you can try to run H1000, H4831sc, or 7828ssc also but use a manual and work up with those powders.

Last edited:
Might as well tell us what rifle you're shooting too :) and what velocity?

Just when I think I am going to stick with my Berger load I see a recipe where all I need is the bullet - one I kind of want to try anyway.

Ha! You're right! I'm sorry. I'm running that load through a Sako 85 Finnlight and getting 2950fps.😊

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Micus, how exactly did you determine what type of powder and primers were being used in the factory ammunition? To my knowledge, copying charge weights of factory loads is not exactly safe. Sometimes Factory Powder can be a proprietary mix that cannot be replicated by the hand loader. In such cases burn rates, velocities and pressures cannot be replicated also. Which makes for a dangerous scenario. It may have worked out for you, but it's probably not a good idea to go that route.

I was reading some reviews on the precision hunter factory ammo and saw that hornady was using H4350 (according to the author), which is essentially the ultimate Creedmoor powder so I figured it made sense. I weighed the charge and saw it was well within the limits in my loading manual for the creed. I just copied that charge WT and COAL. I agree though, taking online reloading info is probably a little on the sketchy side of things, especially since most guys tend to load really really hot.

I was reading some reviews on the precision hunter factory ammo and saw that hornady was using H4350 (according to the author), which is essentially the ultimate Creedmoor powder so I figured it made sense. I weighed the charge and saw it was well within the limits in my loading manual for the creed. I just copied that charge WT and COAL. I agree though, taking online reloading info is probably a little on the sketchy side of things, especially since most guys tend to load really really hot.

Gotcha! I see where you came to that now. I'm not versed in the 6.5s, but I understand certain cartridges utilize "one" type of powder. I was not aware. Conversely the 7MM Rem Mag could utilize a variety of powders very well as stated by kupper. 70 grains of H4831sc is not going to be the same as 70 grains of retumbo. BOOM! I'm sure you are aware of things like that since you do hand load. I'm not trying to belittle or demeaning in any way. Just trying to be clear that's all.😊

bobhunts

WKR
RL 22 works well in my rifle. It is a custom build but works well with this powder at less than maximum charge weight. I have yet to try the new ELDX bullets in that rifle. But I will soon. Same bullet as my .280 AI I just had built. I plan on using H 4831 on the Ackley and may play around with it on the 7mag. Good luck! Have fun and look at all the reloading forums. Lot of good advice there. The whole game is about trying out stuff and seeing what your rifle likes. You may need a different barrel and have your action blueprinted as well. Just depends on what you are happy with..or maybe you got lucky with yours and it shoots well. Just have fun and play around with what you have.

I am in the process of testing some new loads in my remington 7mm mag after installing a new stock with glass bedding and a new trigger. From my recent research I am impressed with and going to use the Optimum Charge Weight Method (see here OCW Overview - Dan Newberry's OCW Load Development System ).

I am using win brass, cci 250 primers, H1000 and 168 berger VLDs but also bought some ELD-X 162 grains to try as well.

FURMAN

WKR
If you plan to use this for long range hunting I would stick with a Hodgdon Extreme powder. In the 7mm Rem mag with a 162 H4831, H1000, or Retumbo would be where I would start. Pick one and do a ladder or the OCW test.