Long range training

willidru

WKR
I love learning new sh*t, especially when it comes to hunting. Very interested in learning how to become proficient shooter out to long distances and really understanding the physics behind this whole game. Had 2 recommendations to go to Evolved Ballistics with Dale Robinson in TX. Not sure when I'll be able to fly out to take a course, but wanted to see if anyone had experience with this course or had other recommendations.

JigStick

WKR
buy the book "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting" by Bryan Litz. Hes on staff with Berger. That book will go in more depth than you can handle in regards to physics, aerodynamics, etc. It will give you all the equations and so on. It also includes tables of common calibers, loads for them, and how much kinetic energy they deliver on game of different sizes at different ranges. It really is a must have for any long range shooter and hunter. Start there to get your feet wet. And if you have access to a 1000yd range then get out there.

What caliber are you shooting? And what is your goal? Punching paper or steel? Or dropping a ram across a valley at 800yds?

Second for Litz's work. He cuts through all of the BS and voodoo. There's nothing there but physics. That sort of root understanding is the best way to start. Then start punching primers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
willidru

willidru

WKR
What caliber are you shooting? And what is your goal? Punching paper or steel? Or dropping a ram across a valley at 800yds?

I shoot a 300 win mag, potentially thinking of picking up a 7 Rem mag as well. My goal is to understand shooting at distance and become more proficient. I figure if I can hit a gong at 1000 yards consistently and accurately dropping an animal between 300-600 yards will be done without hesitation.

Akicita

WKR
I love learning new sh*t, especially when it comes to hunting. Very interested in learning how to become proficient shooter out to long distances and really understanding the physics behind this whole game. Had 2 recommendations to go to Evolved Ballistics with Dale Robinson in TX. Not sure when I'll be able to fly out to take a course, but wanted to see if anyone had experience with this course or had other recommendations.

Makhaira Group in Northern Colorado has an excellent Long Range Precision Shooters course. It's taught by former Military Special Operations Snipers along with current Law Enforcement SWAT sniper. They are avid hunters too so they can apply hunting variables to the course.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I shoot a 300 win mag, potentially thinking of picking up a 7 Rem mag as well. My goal is to understand shooting at distance and become more proficient. I figure if I can hit a gong at 1000 yards consistently and accurately dropping an animal between 300-600 yards will be done without hesitation.

Scrap the big guns. Hitting at long range is all about proper setup, techniques, round count, and fun. 300WM mad 7mm Mags are not fun, and therefore not conducive to round counts. The absolute best thing you can do is get a solid bolt action 223 with a 1-7 or 1-8 twist barrel, a scope that works and a case of 75 or 77gr match ammo. You will learn more in two days with the right 223 setup than you will in months with magnums.

As for courses- that's a great thing, however most courses are really rebranded military/sniper courses. A lot of the sniper stuff applies, and a lot of it does not.

If you plan on utilizing long range techniques on western hunting I would suggest attending a school in the area, not that the Texas one would be bad but learning about cross canyon shots, wind poor field positions etc may be more applicable if the class is in the same terrain you'll be in. There are lots of them and I'm not sure if Ryan Avery or Broz on here offer one but that would be a good one.

Scrap the big guns. Hitting at long range is all about proper setup, techniques, round count, and fun. 300WM mad 7mm Mags are not fun, and therefore not conducive to round counts. The absolute best thing you can do is get a solid bolt action 223 with a 1-7 or 1-8 twist barrel, a scope that works and a case of 75 or 77gr match ammo. You will learn more in two days with the right 223 setup than you will in months with magnums.

As for courses- that's a great thing, however most courses are really rebranded military/sniper courses. A lot of the sniper stuff applies, and a lot of it does not.
Ditto on the caliber. Hunting with the magnum is a good idea, but train like crazy with something else. Anything 223, mild 6mm, to the mild 6.5 caliber rifles will do well. It allows you to work on form, supports, ballistics, and scope use for hundreds of rounds without ever thinking about recoil.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm just starting to push my distances as well. One of the classes that has interested me is the one from Len Backus. The owner of LongRangeHunting.com

They have classes set up with one of his preferred outfitters. I've never been, or know of anyone who has attended. But if I had the time and money. This would be what I would want.

2017 LRH Shooting Class With Non-Typical Outfitters - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

OP
willidru

willidru

WKR
I also found a guy out of Wyoming John Porter Morning Creek Outfitters who provides classes.

If you're real nice Jeff Broz has offered a course where he takes you through the reloading process and everything, then takes you out to as far as you can go. You won't get a better one on one coaching expierence. I sat next him last year when he took his bear at 1702 yards. The guy flat out knows what he's doing.

If you're real nice Jeff Broz has offered a course where he takes you through the reloading process and everything, then takes you out to as far as you can go. You won't get a better one on one coaching expierence. I sat next him last year when he took his bear at 1702 yards. The guy flat out knows what he's doing.
I definitely sign up for that. Seems like reloading is definitely an aspect of long range shooting that is often overlooked. I'm just now getting into the neck turning/trueing and getting really good competition die sets.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

solo06

FNG
I attended Magpul's Precision Hunter course. This was the first professional training course on long range hunting that I've attended and it was incredible. Sure, it was taught by a former sniper, but as the course title implies, this course was absolutely geared toward long range hunting, and Caylen was also clearly a hunter. It started with instruction to lay a foundation of understanding for everything from correct stable shooting technique (beginning in prone) to ballistics and using software (like Applied Ballistics) to account for variables like wind, pressure, temperature, etc. Caylen had a very relaxed and inviting instructional style, so participants could ask questions and get as technical as they wanted to. After plenty of time on the range to become comfortable with using our equipment and new knowledge to engage targets at random ranges out to 600+ yards, the course transitioned to applying all of this to improvised shooting positions. This is where the course was really applied to hunting scenarios, anticipating common real-world situations when shooting from the perfect prone position won't be possible due to simple things like grass, brush, other vegetation, or time limits. Practiced a variety of non-prone positions, all the way up to standing, using random gear like slings, shooting sticks, backpacks, tripods, trekking poles, and "trees" to gain stability and still accurately engage targets the size of big game vitals at long range (out to roughly 600 yards). As a beginner in longer range hunting, this was the perfect course for me.
Although I didn't do this, for more adventure, a Backcountry Hunter's Course is also offered, combining the Precision Hunter course with a 3-day backpacking trip that covers everything else related to DIY backcountry hunting. I'd like to do this with my son someday when he gets a little older.

GKPrice

Banned

^^^^^^^ What Formidilosus says makes good sense - I've learned more about long distance, wind, etc. on Prairie Dog towns with 22 LR thru 223 than I've EVER learned shooting big game rifles