28 nosler 180 gr velocities

1760yds

FNG
How are the 175 eld-x shooting out of your Ridgeline? And have you tried any other bullets?
Thanks

They shoot very well. Pretty consistent 1/2 moa and a few groups better than that. I haven't tried anything else in 28 nosler. I used to shoot Bergers in 7wsm but they were destroying so much meat that I wanted to try a different bullet.

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy just received his rifle back with a 28 inch proof he's going to be testing today with the lab radar I will see what he's shooting. His smith cut the chamber a little short it's touching the lands at 3.65 that's what I'm having my chamber cut for the 180 s he might have to get it reamed a little I was hoping for 3.75

That sounds right on the money for the 180's. The 180's should have roughly 50-60thou less fb than the 195's to get the boat tail out of the doughnut area. You will still be getting better velocity than the standard chambering and should have enough room to chase the throat as it erodes. If I understand correctly with a 180 at 3.75oal you wouldn't have much bearing surface in the neck at all so i would stick with the 3.65oal on the 180's.

Axlrod

WKR
I know this isn't 180s but it's close. My load was 175g ELD X at 3150 out of 26inch Ridgeline using Retumbo.

1760yds: can you post your load ( primer and col) and the scope and mounts you used on your Ridgeline? I sent you a PM a few days ago you can PM back the info if you want. Thanks

Broz

WKR
for you guys that use bergers for hunting what would you recommend for hunting sheep deer elk moose from a 28 nosler 180hunting vld 180target hybrid or 195s

180 H VLD !!

After taking a butt load of elk with 180 Hybrids, 195 Hybrids and 180 H VLD's. I will offer the big difference here does not just lie between BC and 15 grains of weight. The big difference on terminal performance is in the design between the Hybrid's and the VLD's. Keep in mind the 195 hybrid has .300" of empty nose that is hollow jacket up front. In the 7mm calibers with a lot on velocity this makes for a very explosive expansion. Penetration was still decent, but I feel many may want to consider what distance your highest percentage of kills will be at when making this choice. Especially on elk. I will not even offer what I think about a 28 Nos and a hybrid on a moose.

Jeff

Last edited:
180 H VLD !!

After taking a butt load of elk with 180 Hybrids, 195 Hybrids and 180 H VLD's. I will offer the big difference here does not just lie between BC and 15 grains of weight. The big difference on terminal performance is in the design between the Hybrid's and the VLD's. Keep in mind the 195 hybrid has .300" of empty nose that is hollow jacket up front. In the 7mm calibers with a lot on velocity this makes for a very explosive expansion. Penetration was still decent, but I feel many may want to consider what distance your highest percentage of kills will be at when making this choice. Especially on elk. I will not even offer what I think about a 28 Nos and a hybrid on a moose.

Jeff
Have you ever experienced a Hunting VLD that didn't expand? I shot an antelope with my 7wsm and 180 Berger Hunting VLD at 2900 fps muzzle velocity that just punched a hole through it. The lope was bedded quartering towards me at 482 yards. The bullet entered the left front shoulder/neck area and it exited the right rear hind quarter.

I'm currently converting the 7wsm into a 28 Nosler to shoot the 195 EOL. Should I expect better or worse results from the EOL compared to the hunting VLD?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Broz

WKR
Have you ever experienced a Hunting VLD that didn't expand?

No Sir, I have not, and we have sent a bunch of them. A few things we do is make sure our seating die is fitting properly the the nose of the bullet. Not pushing on the tips, not seating with too much neck tension and ringing the bullet and leaving a circular dent. We also check every hunting bullet to assure the tip is open all the way back to lead. We find a few clogged tips in almost every box of 100. I use a .027" wire drill in a pin vise to open or check tips.

My previous post answered the rest of your question.

Jeff

Last edited:
For you guys that use bergers for hunting what would you recommend for hunting sheep deer elk moose from a 28 nosler 180hunting vld 180target hybrid or 195s

I use the 180 Berger Hybrid last season and took an antelope at 450, Muley bucks at 300, 450 and 610 and an elk at 300. All of the shots were DRT. The bullets performed flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nooch2222

Lil-Rokslider
With a 26" and H1000 I am running the 180 VLD's at 3080. Single digit es and shoot tight. I can push them another 100 fps or so
How many grains of powder are you using? if you remember i know its an old post. i'm getting around the same speeds just wondering if its worth pushing it faster.

Couple of reasons. If you dont have a 8 twist barrel the 195's may not be stable.
Depending where your accuracy node comes in the 180's may out perform the 195's at the range you want to shoot

The 1/9 does just fine with 195 bergs

Kasey

My 28 Nosler with 26" barrel using 180's / Retumbo speed is avg 3150. Currently using 195 hybrids with RL33, Avg speed 3050. I was thinking of going back to my 180 Lapua Scenar load, however the 195's are shooting just fine.

lintond

WKR
I just finished working up a load with 76 gr H1000 and 180 ELDM that’s going 3040 with an SD of about 8 and ES of 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk