Scope selection... I have to ask.

OP
R

R_burg

WKR
I get the LEO discount for Vortex stuff and I'm shopping for binos. I was just about to pull the trigger on Vipers and saw your post. After waffling back and forth between the Viper and Razor, is the Razor really worth the extra $500?
I personally think your money is better spent elsewhere than Vortex, even after the mil discount.

If you decide to go Vortex, dont get the Vipers, step up to the Razors.

I personally think your money is better spent elsewhere than Vortex, even after the mil discount.

If you decide to go Vortex, dont get the Vipers, step up to the Razors.

Is there a pair that rivals the Razors in the $800-$1200 range?

micus

Lil-Rokslider
I get the LEO discount for Vortex stuff and I'm shopping for binos. I was just about to pull the trigger on Vipers and saw your post. After waffling back and forth between the Viper and Razor, is the Razor really worth the extra $500?

Vortex has a Leo discount???

Also. To the OP. When I bought my lrhs ffp they had an MOA reticle available. Awesome scope!

FURMAN

WKR
You will have to decide what is most important to you. A lot of the better glassed scopes do not track well. I have not tried them all. Some I avoid because of the reputations. I can tell you that the Vortex scopes I have had and been around track perfectly. I use Sightrons and they track perfectly. The guts mean much more to me than the glass. I care about glass in my binos and my spotter but tracking is paramount for me in a scope.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
How about the March scopes?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I really havent used them a ton. The first FFP scopes they did had a really critical eye box and combined with their warranty, not many seem willing to go away from scopes that they know work. Other than the novelty of having a 2.5-25x scope, it doesn't really do anything for you.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just want to throw Huskemaw in here. Good glass (made right beside nightforce), turret tracks great, zero stop is simple. It is 1/3 moa which turns a lot of people off, but for hunting applications it's all you really need and you'll get more yardage out of a revolution. If you shoot the data and have the shop burn a turret it's very accurate. Or you can run with the moa turret. Thing about them is their reticle and turret combo is "windage enabled" so you can have a wind hold based on a 10mph wind. I've been around them a lot and have seen a lot of different people shoot a lot of different animals with them. The system is simple and it works. The last 2-3 years they have won the vortex challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider

Not in my opinion. I have the viper pst and couldn't justify the extra even with the same discount.

Last edited:

270quest

WKR
Why do Vortex Vipers have a great reputation on the tactical and long range side? Do these guys research glass at all?

Its fairly agreed upon in the birding / bino / spotting scope world that Vortex Vipers and below have mediocre glass and are marketed very well, hence their popularity. It seems like tactical and long range guys didn't get the memo, because when I research scopes I see tons of recommendations for Vortex PST's.

I have one, a 2.5-10. Its mediocre glass. I am going to sell it. It doesn't handle CA very well, its certainly not clear edge to edge, and at 10x I feel the clarity drops a noticeable amount. IMO the edge to edge and CA issues are prevalent in all of Vortex's glass below the Razor line (I've owned them). I think the Razor is a big step up. For Binos and spotters I would still go a different direction than the Razor line. For scopes I am considering them.

The reason I ask is, I am in the market for two scopes, a mid range 3-15 FFP (leaning towards the SWFA SS) and higher end, but not highest end (aka Burris XTR II 5-25, Vortex Razor HD Gen 1 5-20 or the like) scope and the general consensus that the Viper line has good glass and is fairly highly recommended really makes me wonder if I can trust any of these reviews and forum opinions I am reading. I live in major metro area and I still can't see all these scopes next to each other, so one way or another I'm taking a leap here.

Thanks for any opinions.

Your solution, which is out of a lot of budgets, is the Schmidt Bender PM II series

Akicita

WKR
I've shot some of the best optics in the world during my military days including the (SSDS)—Schmidt and Bender PM II 3–12×50. I have recently come to like the Steiner T5Xi 3-15X50 and the M5Xi 3-15X50.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm no expert, but as my eyes have aged, and I'm to cheap to get Lasik, I've REALLY come to appreciate clear optics. For rifle scopes I really like Leupold VX-6. I'm not much of a "dialer" because I limit myself to at the max 500 yards, and that's probably only at the range for me. I'll never put enough time in to shoot with the LR crowd, they got skills! That VX-6 is clear and crisp and if you are patient a pretty good vale on a sale. They new VX-6HDs look amazing, but jump up the price more than a bit. If you do some searching you can find some good sales on the old VX-6 as the new VX-6HDs have replaced them.

I've had so many issues with my PST that Im sick of sending it back to them only for it to fail AGAIN during the middle of rifle season when I need it most. So for our next gun we went with the Burris XTR ii. Don't know enough about how it's going to perform but I'm hoping good things! My PST had tracking issues twice that I had to send it back for, and glass issues once (fogged up on the inside and had ton of particles floating around the inside ) I finally demanded they send me a replacement and they did and so far it seems to be holding up just fine.

The illumination in both of my XTR's failed soon after mounting and using them. One has been back to the mothership 3 times and it quit again. The 4-20 puked early and I won't even bother to send it back. Just don't use the lighted reticle often enuff to justify it.....