LF Long Range Rifle Builder

jm1607

WKR
To make a long story short, my friend and I found a very reputable big name gunsmith (not going to name names) to build us a couple super lightweight backpack rifles. My friend was in more of a hurry and needed his gun fast for his hunt last year so his gun was built first. Ever since the gun was built it's had major issues. First it wouldn't even fire. That was fixed after being sent back once. Ever since then it will basically shoot about three 3/8" @ 100 yards then have a couple flyers in the 3/4" to 1" range. The gunsmith even confirmed this. Not really what you expect from a $3500+ gun. He's sent the gun back 3 more times. It's on it's third barrel. Tried multiple scopes. The gunsmith is understandably super frustrated and is about to say **** it and send his money back to him. The gunsmith isn't mad at him, just mad at the situation/gun. The gunsmith mainly builds heavy tactical stuff and thinks the problem has something to do with the light weight of it.

Anyway, because of all this I (and probably my friend as well) need to find a new guy/company. My McMillan carbon stock just came in the mail. It's built for a Bighorn Short-Action. I'm open to another action if it can be adapted to work without much of a hassle. I want to run a shorter barrel (19"-20") in a lighter contour (2B) or possibly a Proof carbon. I do have somewhat of a budget on this build.

Any recommendations with all these factors in mind?

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
What was the weight of your buddies rifle? Lightweight rifles are harder to shoot consistently without a ton of practice.

R Bros rifles. I've had 3 rifles from him about to have a 4th. He shoots/breaks in all his rifles before they go to ensure they meet his 1/2 Moa guarantee and even supplies load data. I'm not saying there aren't other good smith's out there but it will be tough to find a better one. Travis will answer the phone when you call and cares about your project and will make sure you are getting what you want. Also his lead times are low because he keeps an inventory of components. I've had my 338 Lapua Improved he built for me out to 1933 yards.

Beastmode

WKR
R Bros rifles. I've had 3 rifles from him about to have a 4th. He shoots/breaks in all his rifles before they go to ensure they meet his 1/2 Moa guarantee and even supplies load data. I'm not saying there aren't other good smith's out there but it will be tough to find a better one. Travis will answer the phone when you call and cares about your project and will make sure you are getting what you want. Also his lead times are low because he keeps an inventory of components. I've had my 338 Lapua Improved he built for me out to 1933 yards.

This^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like your friends gun shoots pretty well for 3 rounds. Is he letting it cool?

Lots of good smith's out there. Others worth looking into -patriot Valley Arms, TS Customs, Long Rifles Inc, and Jon Beanland.

deadwolf

WKR
Area 419 firearms
Elk meadow performance
R Bros (as stated above)
TS Customs
GA Precision
Short Action Customs
Of course Longrifles INC
Beanland

AllenbOR

Lil-Rokslider
If you're in the Houston area check out Horizon Firearms.

OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Just wanted to give an update..

After speaking with many gunsmiths over the phone I decided to go with R Bros. Travis and I have gone back and forth fine tuning my rifle build with what I want and what he recommends and I think the final product is going to be pretty bad ass..

Thanks for the recommendations, before I posted I had never heard of R Bros..

Great choice! His rifles are works of art in my opinion. I'm 100% sure you are going to be satisfied with the outcome of your project and your buddy is going to be kicking himself for not going the same route.

6.5x284

WKR
Just wanted to give an update..

After speaking with many gunsmiths over the phone I decided to go with R Bros. Travis and I have gone back and forth fine tuning my rifle build with what I want and what he recommends and I think the final product is going to be pretty bad ass..

Thanks for the recommendations, before I posted I had never heard of R Bros..

Good call. He's built one for me already that is a hammer, and is about to spin up a Proof on a LPA Fuzion Ti with the Alpine Cut in a few weeks for a light weight scalpel. He does great work.

OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Here's my final build if anyone was curious:

6.5 Creedmoor RH
McMillan A3 Sporter Stock w/Carbon Edge fill
Rogue LW Action
BDL Bottom Metal
20 MOA 1pc rings
19" #4 Broughton Fluted, 7 Twist
Thread and cap 9/16-24
Jewell Trigger
Pillar Bed
Test with H4350 & Hornady 143gr ELD-X

I'm thinking it will come in about 5.5-6.5#s

Last edited:
Dang that bad boy is twisted tight. I'd skip right past the 143 and go to 147 ELD-m

Beastmode

WKR
Here's my final build if anyone was curious:

6.5 Creedmoor RH
McMillan A3 Sporter Stock w/Carbon Edge fill
Rogue LW Action
BDL Bottom Metal
20 MOA 1pc rings
19" #4 Broughton Fluted, 7 Twist
Thread and cap 9/16-24
Jewell Trigger
Pillar Bed