$1000 Scope Advice

KurtR

WKR
what ever you do make sure your turrets and reticle are matching mil/mil or moa/moa. All they are is a unit of measure both do the same thing measure.

Fire_9

WKR
I have run a couple FFP scopes and they definitely have an advantage in certain power ranges and situations. In MY opinion i do not see the need for FFP in a 10x scope. It doesn't hurt but I wouldn't base my decision on that. I may not be the all knowing Formidilosus but I've done enough shooting to know what I like and need. Different strokes for different folks. And a SFP is still useful for spotting misses when not on max power. Can't use it for wind holds but it's not totally useless...

dotman

WKR
Correcting the record: the is at least one post on this thread that stated the NF eye relief was too little and he changed scopes. I have found other threads on Rokslide and other forums that discuss the eye relief and possible inadequacies. Like I said before, folks who have used them give both positive and negative reviews of that particular issue. You are right in that I have never used one of these scopes. I am a bow hunter by trade, but I am looking to expand my horizons. I only have experience with capped turret SFP scopes with BDC reticles. Although they are easy and quick, my goal is to be accurate and ethical. I want a scope that I can quickly make an accurate and precise first shot. Running a SFP with ballistic turrets is an option, but changes in elevation and atmospherics can significantly affect drop at 600yds, and it only grows beyond that. I know 600 yds is not far for a lot of you guys, but It is for me. I planned on making a ghetto turret tape (Ryan Avery had a picture of one on a recent thread) to be a poor mans ballistic turret. With a dope chart, I can quickly dial mils for shots when conditions permit.

Everyone has an opinion on SFP/FFP, turrets, reticle, etc. I'm still in the process of deciding, but I am leaning towards FFP with Mil reticle and turrets. I think with practice and preparation, this can be almost as fast as a SFP with ballistic turrets.

I appreciate everyone's input. Keep it classy. Cheers.

Imo either can do that with the appropriate ballistics app, wind meter, proper rest and practice. Just trying to open up options but if set on FFP I think you'll be happy with it. Like Ryan said, a 10x is plenty out to 1000 and the NF SHV 3-10x42 is within your budget, meets all your requirements including eye relief, has the same glass as the NXS and tracks wonderfully, but yes it is a SFP.

I will dial for wind every day vs using a reticle hash which is really the diff to consider at long ranges but then you'll be at max power usually and can use the hash marks for wind. If you haven't used a FFP I would say it's worth looking through to see what you think of the growing and shrinking reticle.

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
If you think it's useless for ranging then it would be for wind as well, better off dialing for wind then holding off in what 2moa increments or so.

I dont want to step into the argument but having shot a bunch of stages where you have to range with your reticle it was eye opening how off alot of people were. So it is not that accurate as it is hard to know the size of the target you are ranging because with out that exactly right you will be off. We knew the plates were say 15 x15 and still struggled to get it right. Holding wind you just need to hold what is needed there is less variable other than the wind is never stays still. haha

dotman

WKR
I dont want to step into the argument but having shot a bunch of stages where you have to range with your reticle it was eye opening how off alot of people were. So it is not that accurate as it is hard to know the size of the target you are ranging because with out that exactly right you will be off. We knew the plates were say 15 x15 and still struggled to get it right. Holding wind you just need to hold what is needed there is less variable other than the wind is never stays still. haha

Yeah I've never done it and never plan to.

But what do you prefer in a hunting environment? Holding for wind or dialing?

I'm by no means as experienced as a lot on here but I've never heard a reason why FFP is better then SFP when you are dialing.

KurtR

WKR
i hold but that is how i practice and how i shoot comps but i dont think one is right and one is wrong it is what ever makes you most accurate.

Broz

WKR
Time permitted, like when hunting, I prefer to dial the first one. Then as long as you have a good rifle, good form and can self spot like I do, it does not make any difference what power I am on with a SFP scope to hold for the follow up. In example, two lines is two lines. The only way you can screw this up is to change power between shot one and shot two. Why would we do that? Besides most well executed long range shots with adequate calibers and long range bullets are one and done. If there is not time for this procedure, I question why anyone would take this shot while hunting. It is my experience that "hurry up" never ends well in a long range shot.

PS: I also believe there is something to be said for a dead center reticle hold and corrections dialed in. But that is just my personal opinion.

Jeff

This is diverging from the original topic though. You feel that the op needs a ffp scope and that's OK it has performed well for you and other people you know. Could he benifit from a ffp scope ? possibly but it really is up to him. Should a ffp scope be an option for him? Sure, hopefully he can find someone who has one and shoot a bit with it. Is it his only option? No, as stated other people may have a different preference. I prefer a sfp scope and have used both as much as that blows your mind. A leupold vx 3 cds will work, never tried one but a huskemaw 4-16 would be an interesting option, many of the mid grade scopes made by burris will work for 600 yards.
I will agree ranging with a reticle is silly, thats what lrf are for

The original poster said he wants a FFP scope. You and others came on here trying to convince him that SFP was what he wanted. Now this thread has turned into a FFP VS SFP debate. So Ill throw my opinion in ha ha. Dial for elevation and hold for wind. Being able to do this at any magnification is nice. The original poster isn't looking to shoot that far eighter..... Since he wants a FFP I say buy that shit and if it doesn't work out sell it. Only one way to find out what YOU like......

dotman

WKR
The original poster said he wants a FFP scope. You and others came on here trying to convince him that SFP was what he wanted. Now this thread has turned into a FFP VS SFP debate. So Ill throw my opinion in ha ha. Dial for elevation and hold for wind. Being able to do this at any magnification is nice. The original poster isn't looking to shoot that far eighter..... Since he wants a FFP I say buy that shit and if it doesn't work out sell it. Only one way to find out what YOU like......

Why not discuss good options? Maybe he already has heavily considered FFP vs SFP or maybe now he is considering more options within his budget.

I simply stated ffp is over rated. You will get less scope for the money with ffp. There's is much hype currently about the ffp scopes.
, I was merely stating that fact. I agree there are some benefits to a ffp model scope but in his price point he is giving up some of the more important features of a scope to get it. He is free to get what he wants, he will be making a more informed decision now is all. I don't think that because a person makes a certain decision that isn't the same as mine that's it's a wrong one. They may have other priorities. And to be completely honest I didn't read that it had to be ffp. I noticed the mils or moa or this or that I got the impression he wasn't exactly sure and it was more of a question. I agree though once he knows what he wants buy that shit and get shooting haha.

Last edited:

ams

WKR
The internet is awesome! Cougar, I had the same rifle setup up the same way, rail on top, nightforce rings low, and the NF SHV F1. At 4x zoom no problem. At 14x zoom it was a different story on a hunting rig in 7mm. I did not shoot it as I did not see the wisdom in "finding out" if I'd get kissed or not. It felt too close for me and the scope demanded my eye placement. It was not comfortable. I tested a fee others and settled on the vx6 for my needs and the setup. I did not see the point in an illuminated reticle for my needs. I have the NF scope still and it is great but sits on a 15 lb 308 with a brake that I am not nervous about. I have not had any problems with either scope. For FFP I think you would be happier with something else on a hunting rig. I am planning on getting a bushnell lrhs soon for a hunting rig for what it's worth.

WKR
Shooting a 7mm a SHV F1. Didn't realize I was in jeopardy till I read this thread lol. Think I'll keep rolling the dice though. For the OP, I'd look very hard at a 3-9 SWFA milquad. Great scope for what you are looking at.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Yeah, I don't think anyone has a better reputation for durability than Nightforce.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Now I'm back to square one and reconsidering my assumptions for what I want in a hunting scope. Bob sagat.

There's alot of good options for what you want to to be honest. Leupold vx3 - vx6 lines I've never needed illumination on a hunting scope. Burris makes scopes that track well and are tough. Sightron have been well received, with good glass and tracking. Vortex are OK, they feature rich but you will eventually need to use the warranty the gen 2 vipers are supposed to be better but time will tell. Nightforce even used are great. I still don't think you need ffp but if your set on one I'll have a shv f1 in mils that I'll be selling soon for 1100$ brand new in box.

To the OP: I have two SWFA 3-15 FFP MOA and have two HS-T Vortex 4-16X

The glass on the SWFA is far better....to my eye. SWFA also has an annual Tax Day sale, which should be coming around next month. The 3-15 will reduced significantly from $699.

And I've seen some very impressive tracking tests shot with the Nightforce F1 SHV. I passed on it due to the claimed eye relief issue. And opted for the Bushnell 4.5-18 LRHS. I don't have enough experience with the LRHS to say much. But maybe kicking myself for not opting for the F1 SHV. Just outside your price bracket tho

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Yeah, I'm leaning heavily towards a NF, SWFA, or Bushnell LRHS. NF is bombproof, SWFA is best price, and Bushnell is apparently really good and in my budget. I can't find the SWFA or the Bushnell to get my hands and on check out. My bigger problem now is trying to decide if I do/don't want a FFP after reading several of the comments on this forum.

SWFA is even cheaper without FFP and is an option.

The FFP vs SPF wage on forever.....I don't see a downside to it if you find a scope with it in your price bracket tho? One question I do ask is "Why not use max magnification?" Meaning....If I am shooting to 600 yards.....and I have a 4-18X Scope....under what circumstance would I even want to use it at 9X? unlesss i simply spaced out and forgot to turn up the power? In which case a 2 MOA wind hold is still 2 MOA....

The SWFA MOA reticles have a floating dot in the center. I wasn't a fan at first. But I don't mind it now. I'm gonna grab a 3rd on the Sale day.

The bushnell.will track right on but the glass isn't great from what I've heard. They are good prs scopes bUT don't have good low light performance.