$1000 Scope Advice

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Boy, I probably could have worded that statement a little more delicately. Sorry.

That's OK, I'm not much for delicacy. I'm an analytical details kind of guy, and a big friggun hammer when things don't work the way they should kind of guy.

I've had similar issues with VX3 scopes I've had setting them up. Left and high at 100 so turning the clicks for windage and elevation should get it in line. But after those adjustments it's even further off the other way. Yes, frustration. But with both the Mark 4's they got on the bullseye easily the first time with the exact number of clicks to do so, and super easy to reset the cap to zero.

If they eventually fail to track, then they fail to track and become fixed elevation and windage scopes. I was also told that QAD Hdx bow rests were crap and failed, but I've got probably 30k shots out of mine without any issues whatsoever. On the other hand, I see people touting products that I know are junk based on my own testing. So.......to each their own.

Last edited:
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I figured I would close out this thread. Thanks to everyone who replied and provided experience and inputs. If money was no factor, I would have gone with the SHV on my .243 and the Bushnell LRHS on my 7mm. Unfortunately, money IS an issue! I am going to get two of the SWFA SS 3-15x44 SFP MOA scopes on sale for $400 each. I can't beat that price and I think it will meet my needs. In a perfect world, I would prefer a FFP, but that costs an extra $200 and I think I can do without. I also plan on buying the zero-stop kit off eBay for $20 to at least give me that feature, which I think might be handy with their oversized turrets. Thanks gain to everyone who contributed!

Do not do not do not get a swfa 3-15 sfp

Glass is terrible in any tricky lighting at higher mag levels... which nullifys any reason to have a holdover reticle in my mind.

I hate it so much I'll sell u mine for 375 with rings.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Do not do not do not get a swfa 3-15 sfp

Glass is terrible in any tricky lighting at higher mag levels... which nullifys any reason to have a holdover reticle in my mind.

I hate it so much I'll sell u mine for 375 with rings.

Ouch man. I read multiple threads and not seen anyone complain about this issue. Maybe you got a bad one or old version? Does anyone want to pile on here?

dotman

WKR
Ouch man. I read multiple threads and not seen anyone complain about this issue. Maybe you got a bad one or old version? Does anyone want to pile on here?

We all have our different views but really only you will be able to tell if this scope is going to meet your needs. I say go with it, I haven't seen much negative but I also think most don't expect the glass to be out of this world at that price. The reliability of tracking is what you are going for not reticle holds or seeing the hashes at max zoom.

I think as long as you use a ballistics app and dial you'll be happy.

Maybe buy just one to start with and see if you like it.

204guy

WKR
The glass on my SWFA 3-15 is OK. It's good enough that I'd not worry about it. But then I don't worry to much about "glass" in a hunting scope. I rank scopes on reliability, zero retention, reliability, tracking, reliability, reticle, weight and glass in about that order. I have a SFP 3-15 in the mil reticle with the dot and it's very fine. Finer than I'd like on any universal type big game rifle. I'd vote the 3-9 milquad as a much better choice, for a big game scope.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
The glass on my SWFA 3-15 is OK. It's good enough that I'd not worry about it. But then I don't worry to much about "glass" in a hunting scope. I rank scopes on reliability, zero retention, reliability, tracking, reliability, reticle, weight and glass in about that order. I have a SFP 3-15 in the mil reticle with the dot and it's very fine. Finer than I'd like on any universal type big game rifle. I'd vote the 3-9 milquad as a much better choice, for a big game scope.

Agreed, but the 3-9 is on back order and they can't tell me when they will get it in.

Literally 3 weeks ago had a 9.5 inch chamois buck bedded at 500 in shadows Sun at my 3 o'clock 2 hours before sun down.

It wasn't just veiling glare either, the scopes just doesn't have enough resolution. Think of it like zooming in digitally on your camera.

Could not make out animal over 8 power or so. I could make him out plain as day with meopta meostar binoculars 10x

Ended up dialing to 7.5x and doubling my windage hold offs.

At 15x eyebox is tight. By tight I mean as your fixed LOP stock goes through different positions you'll find it exceedingly difficult to have a perfect sight picture.

We don't hunt square ranges in the broad daylight.

Buy mine for 375$ and worse case ontario resell it.

excaliber

WKR
My VX-3 4.5x14x40 CDS did the same thing to me. It would shoot 3.5" high and an inch left and whatever adjustments I made did nothing to bullet impact. I took it to the gunsmith twice and he said I should send it back to Leupold. This scope was on my brand new semi custom 300 Win Mag and I did not get the scope back in time for a super hard to draw Elk hunt.

I had to use my old 30-06 with a new VX2 3x9x40 on it. I did end up with a nice bull but all the troubles I had with that scope has soured me on Leupold. Leupold fixed it but I was not happy I didn't get it back in time for that hunt.

I too want a new scope but IMHO there's not much to be had under 1K that will dial accurately and has good glass.

I've had similar issues with VX3 scopes I've had setting them up. Left and high at 100 so turning the clicks for windage and elevation should get it in line. But after those adjustments it's even further off the other way. Yes, frustration.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Screw it. I bought a 3-12 NF SHV and a 4.5-18 LRHS. The LRHS will go on the 7mm and the SHV will go on my .243

3-12 shv?? Is that a typo?

I put 600 rounds through my 3-12 lrhs twisting turrets on my 22lr out to 300 yards or so this week.

Huge upgrade in not only glass but also as a hunting scope. Super easy to get behind and He zero stop rocks.

It'll replace the 3-15 swfa on the 300wm here soon but the giggle factor right now of super duper long range plinking is a hoot so it's staying put in the mean time.

Baby sleeps in truck and dad gets trigger time. Haha.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Oh yeah, that was a typo, I meant 3-10! Stupid White Russian. I got both. I was going to get two SWFA (3-9 HD) and 3-15, but the 3-9 were on indefinite backorder with no known stock date and one of the responses I got about the 3-15 said it had terrible glass... so I went the expensive route and got the NF and the LRHS.

117d-rto

FNG
TC did you get the illuminated LRHS - aka LRHSi? I have one of those on back order through experticity, looking forward to that scope.

I have a SWFA 3-9 HD on my 300BLK, really bright glass to my eyes.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
TC did you get the illuminated LRHS - aka LRHSi? I have one of those on back order through experticity, looking forward to that scope.

I have a SWFA 3-9 HD on my 300BLK, really bright glass to my eyes.

I bought that exact scope 2 months ago and now they come out on there. Would have saved me roughly $100. Oh well if I want another one I know where to get it as I really like the LRHSi 4.5-18 I have.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I got the non-illuminated version. However, I got an email from Bushnell saying that the scope (4.5-18 MOA and MIL reticle) had been discontinued and backstock is sold through 2017. (I ordered it directly through their military purchase program, not experticity). They recommended I buy the illuminated MIL reticle (I want MOA because I just bought a SHV in MOA) or the 3-12x MOA model. So now I am back to square one. Unless I can find a 4.5-18x in MOA on experticity, I will probably end up with the 3-15x SWFA SS, which I am now wary of due to potentially poor glass. My only other option is a Burris XTR II or a 3-12x LRHS, I guess. I'm leaning towards the 3-12x LRHS or the 3-15x SWFA SS. I can't decide on glass quality and zero stop or the 15x magnification of the SWFA.

Last edited:
There is a brand new 4.5-18 moa on ebay for $1150. Just a little more than expertcity price. Also the 3-12 is not made in MOA.

204guy

WKR
Why not the mil version? Though I can work with both I'd never intentionally pick moa over mils.