A little help requested with a 338 Laupua set-up

Sorry, it seemed as this was going to be one the ops first lr rifles.

Using a caliber that's less expensive to feed and has less recoil will lead to more practice. When you're feeding a rifle that costs 2.50 a round to shoot and will bruise you after 10 shots, it's not a good starter rifle. I have an 11lb rum that's no peach after a few groups. If I didn't have other guns to practice with, I wouldn't shoot lr enough to be proficient.

If I could do it over I'd have a 7-300 or similar that was cheaper to feed and didn't kick so hard. When a guy first gets into it, you get the mindset that you need the biggest baddest mother ****er out there, and the truth is you don't. It's just a few more clicks up or left/right.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I agree that NOTHING can take the place of trigger time!!!! All the neat fancy gadgets may help but nothing takes the place of time behind the gun. That said I've never seen a 338 LM that didn't have a brake on it? I'm sure there's some out there but not usually. It's not uncommon for us to go to the range and put out 20-30 shots a day out of the long guns. And I forget sometimes that in the common market the Lapua is king. In our circle the Lapua is the mid series gun. My apologies, I misunderstood where you were going. Happy shooting!

OP
B
I was hoping that this thread would provide information directly related to my questions, rather than being suspect of my experience. Granted the information has been pretty spot on, in relation to ballistics and calibers. But I assure you, I am not new to shooting, nor hunting. I also have several rifles from 7mm RM to 338WM. What I am looking to purchase, is. True long range rifle, or what some would consider, an extended range long range rifle. So in short, I am pretty set on the 338 LM because it provides the mass, weight and volicity to be devastating at extended distances. Yes, I will be reloading, using a ballistic range finder, wind meter... As for my ability to shoot, well the vast majority of my past recent harvests have been either head or heart shots at a variety of distances. So in short, it would be awesome if I could tap into some of the in-depth knowledge and experience of a few of those members here, rather than derailing the thread.

Yes, I have through many of the threads regarding the subject matter of my questions. However they generally relate to long range calibers, rather than an extended longer range cable caliber such as the 338LM. As such, I am sure there might be some considerations that have not been expounded uponn.

Several here have provided some very valuable information that I am very grateful for. But I am still hoping to get a bit more information about possible manufacturer choices. I am also hoping that a few members will chime in about the advantages and drawbacks of a few of the higher end scopes, as I have no intention of skimping on the scope.

WRO

WKR
I agree that NOTHING can take the place of trigger time!!!! All the neat fancy gadgets may help but nothing takes the place of time behind the gun. That said I've never seen a 338 LM that didn't have a brake on it? I'm sure there's some out there but not usually. It's not uncommon for us to go to the range and put out 20-30 shots a day out of the long guns. And I forget sometimes that in the common market the Lapua is king. In our circle the Lapua is the mid series gun. My apologies, I misunderstood where you were going. Happy shooting!

I run radials on my field rifles, they do not do as well reducing recoil as an sideport, but if you need to shoot quickly, they're not as hard on your ears either. I'm about 10-15 rounds with the RUM before it isn't fun anymore.

I was hoping that this thread would provide information directly related to my questions, rather than being suspect of my experience. Granted the information has been pretty spot on, in relation to ballistics and calibers. But I assure you, I am not new to shooting, nor hunting. I also have several rifles from 7mm RM to 338WM. What I am looking to purchase, is. True long range rifle, or what some would consider, an extended range long range rifle. So in short, I am pretty set on the 338 LM because it provides the mass, weight and volicity to be devastating at extended distances. Yes, I will be reloading, using a ballistic range finder, wind meter... As for my ability to shoot, well the vast majority of my past recent harvests have been either head or heart shots at a variety of distances. So in short, it would be awesome if I could tap into some of the in-depth knowledge and experience of a few of those members here, rather than derailing the thread.

Yes, I have through many of the threads regarding the subject matter of my questions. However they generally relate to long range calibers, rather than an extended longer range cable caliber such as the 338LM. As such, I am sure there might be some considerations that have not been expounded uponn.

Several here have provided some very valuable information that I am very grateful for. But I am still hoping to get a bit more information about possible manufacturer choices. I am also hoping that a few members will chime in about the advantages and drawbacks of a few of the higher end scopes, as I have no intention of skimping on the scope.

Sounds like you have it figured out, sorry if I came across as a dick.. (i'm pretty good at it)

If you can get your hands on a 6x24 Kahles, its my favorite so far. I like the Left hand windage, FFP, top mounted paralax etc a lot.. Plenty of adjustment to get you out as far as you'd like..

OP
B

Sounds like you have it figured out, sorry if I came across as a dick.. (i'm pretty good at it)

If you can get your hands on a 6x24 Kahles, its my favorite so far. I like the Left hand windage, FFP, top mounted paralax etc a lot.. Plenty of adjustment to get you out as far as you'd like..

Yeah, I can be pretty good at it too, who can't. Thanks for the Khaled advice, I'll look into them. No, I don't have it all figured out. But I have put some good thought into it. What I am wondering is just how much adjustment (MOA) should I be looking at, considering the capability of the round. So in short, I have not sat down and done the math on that yet. I was hoping for some input on that based on some typical bullet weights and loads. Perhaps I should have been more specific in my questions ( go ahead and throw the, do you think comment at me, for more specific questions).

Broz

WKR
I just love it when you read a new thread to find it took a hard turn and the conversation went another direction. So, humor me. What are titles and OP questions for?

To the OP. You are on a good track. I have years of extensive first hand experience with the 338 Lapua. It does not cost any more to feed a 338 Lapua than it does to feed any other 338 of the same, or similar performance level. In fact, it actually can cost less. Yes the brass is over $2.75 ea. But to get brass to last as long in a 338 EDGE you will be looking at Bertram and that is $3 plus each. If you want the same performance from other offerings in less expensive brass expect to replace it 2 to 3 times over the Lapua brass. I have 338 Lapua brass with over 15 firings with full house 300 gr loads that is still going. So the "Cost more" speech holds zero water to me.

Here is my review on the CA ELR in 338 Lapua that we hunted with in high country all last season and took many elk with.

Full Review of the Christensen Arms ELR Rifle by Jeff Brozovich - Long Range Only

As for recoil, here is a video of my 5'2" wife, shooting her elk at 688 yards and she sees the bullet go through the elk through the scope. Keep in mind this is the very first time she has ever pulled the trigger on this rifle. Note the wind in this video. This is exactly why we shoot a 338 instead of something smaller with more wind drift. X rings to the vitals make for a great day and dead elk.

Diane Brozovich's 2016 ELK Hunt Video with the Christensen Arms ELR - Long Range Only

Here is a picture of my 58 yr old broken up ass 5 miles up in the Montana mountains carrying the ELR in my back pack scabbard. The rifle is a great weight when coupled with a 2lb optic for a balance between accuracy and recoil in a packable 338. The slayer brake is also awesome. And yes, we brought an elk out we took across the canyon.
IMG_20161030_115330272_HDR_zpsrzybdkyg.jpg

As for your optic choice, I question the use of a FFP? If you were going to shoot Matches like PRS with this rifle then yes, maybe a FFP. But if what you are going to do resembles what we do, then dont fall for the FFP hype. In my world I can do everything and more with my SFP scopes as you would be able to do with a FFP. In fact, I have both almost all the time on hand, and none of my long range hunting rifles wear a FFP. With that, I will offer you look at the tried and true Nightforce NXS in .25 MOA with the MOAR reticle. Or, if you want to stretch a bit farther look at the 5~25 SFP Nightforce ATACR. The ATACR is what we ran on the ELR all season on many elk hunts.

Here are just a few pics from young hunters, gals you name it, of game taken with the ELR in 338 LM in one season.

IMG_20161022_102503018_HDR_zpsffdpknw6.jpg

IMG_20161030_133102896_zpsz2zpfk1b.jpg

IMG_20161126_102303902_zpsfheditaw.jpg

IMG_20161126_131303929_zpsxpnp1bre.jpg

IMG_20161029_125200280_zpsuz9bfidy.jpg

I hope the OP finds some of this post useful. If you have questions I will try to answer them with what I know from my experience with both the 338 Lapua magnum, and optics mentioned.

Jeff

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
I just love it when you read a new thread to find it took a hard turn and the conversation went another direction. So, humor me. What are titles and OP questions for?

To the OP. You are on a good track. I have years of extensive first hand experience with the 338 Lapua. It does not cost any more to feed a 338 Lapua than it does to feed any other 338 of the same, or similar performance level. In fact, it actually can cost less. Yes the brass is over $2.75 ea. But to get brass to last as long in a 338 EDGE you will be looking at Bertram and that is $3 plus each. If you want the same performance from other offerings in less expensive brass expect to replace it 2 to 3 times over the Lapua brass. I have 338 Lapua brass with over 15 firings with full house 300 gr loads that is still going. So the "Cost more" speech holds zero water to me.

Here is my review on the CA ELR in 338 Lapua that we hunted with in high country all last season and took many elk with.

Full Review of the Christensen Arms ELR Rifle by Jeff Brozovich - Long Range Only

As for recoil, here is a video of my 5'2" wife, shooting her elk at 688 yards and she sees the bullet go through the elk through the scope. Keep in mind this is the very first time she has ever pulled the trigger on this rifle. Note the wind in this video. This is exactly why we shoot a 338 instead of something smaller with more wind drift. X rings to the vitals make for a great day and dead elk.

Diane Brozovich's 2016 ELK Hunt Video with the Christensen Arms ELR - Long Range Only

Here is a picture of my 58 yr old broken up ass 5 miles up in the Montana mountains carrying the ELR in my back pack scabbard. The rifle is a great weight when coupled with a 2lb optic for a balance between accuracy and recoil in a packable 338. The slayer brake is also awesome. And yes, we brought an elk out we took across the canyon.
IMG_20161030_115330272_HDR_zpsrzybdkyg.jpg

As for your optic choice, I question the use of a FFP? If you were going to shoot Matches like PRS with this rifle then yes, maybe a FFP. But if what you are going to do resembles what we do, then dont fall for the FFP hype. In my world I can do everything and more with my SFP scopes as you would be able to do with a FFP. In fact, I have both almost all the time on hand, and none of my long range hunting rifles wear a FFP. With that, I will offer you look at the tried and true Nightforce NXS in .25 MOA with the MOAR reticle. Or, if you want to stretch a bit farther look at the 5~25 SFP Nightforce ATACR. The ATACR is what we ran on the ELR all season on many elk hunts.

Here are just a few pics from young hunters, gals you name it, of game taken with the ELR in 338 LM in one season.

IMG_20161022_102503018_HDR_zpsffdpknw6.jpg

IMG_20161030_133102896_zpsz2zpfk1b.jpg

IMG_20161126_102303902_zpsfheditaw.jpg

IMG_20161126_131303929_zpsxpnp1bre.jpg

IMG_20161029_125200280_zpsuz9bfidy.jpg

I hope the OP finds some of this post useful. If you have questions I will try to answer them with what I know from my experience with both the 338 Lapua magnum, and optics mentioned.

Jeff

Sorry to derail a bit, but Jeff, that is a nice looking buck! Or is it so-so, but with good camera skills... :)

OP
B
Jeff, thanks for chiming in, I was hoping you would. I've read through many of your posts, and appreciate your experience, and advice. You've answered a few questions for me, thank you. At this point, I need to make some time to check into what your advising (I just need to gain a depth of understanding). My caseload at work is a bit overflowing at the moment. But given a little time, I am sure I will come back with a question or two.

I appreciate your advice on the scope. I noticed all the hype on FFP, but also noticed that most hunters were using SFP. Without you directly stating, I am pretty sure I get it. This is exactly the advice I was looking for. I'm hoping to put together a complete long range set-up that I am happy with, the first time. So I plan on going with a scope that can stretch to those further distances. I figure that the scope may have more capability than I, but I would have the option of growing into it. I'm not rich by any means, just simply comfortable, with a job in our public education system. So I can afford to do this right, but I don't have the luxury of doing it more than once; so once again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and knowledge.