270 wsm 165 matrix

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
I've searched many forums and found information supporting both ends of this spectrum. Will my win 70 270 wsm 1-10 twist stabilize the 165 matrix down to sea level? I've found where some people say it won't at any elevation, and some who say it will at all elevations. Anyone have any hands on experience with this bullet in a factory barrel?

mcr-85

WKR
I never did shoot them out of my 270 win but they were awesome out of my .270 WSM with a 1-9 barrel.

Is Marshal making them again?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Bones

I shot them from a 10 twist 270wsm over H1000 with good results. I prefer the 150vld though.

I think Marshal has sold his company and I'm pretty sure the new owner didn't buy the 165 equipment

dotman

WKR
Yes it will but unless you have some you'll never get any or enough to make it worth your time. Matrix was sold recently but the .277 molds were not included and the old owner is not making them for the public to my knowledge, sucks as that was a great bullet.

I sold off the last of the 165's I had but have 300+ of the 175gr that no way I'll sell.

The 170 bergers will stabilize for a little bit but I wouldn't recommend them out of a 1:10 barrel, I was able to get good results out to 300 yards but after that they destabilized and went who knows where.

Personally I would just stick to a 150gr with the 1:10 twist.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Bones

I shot them from a 10 twist 270wsm over H1000 with good results. I prefer the 150vld though.

I think Marshal has sold his company and I'm pretty sure the new owner didn't buy the 165 equipment

From what I remember the .277 was Marshalls favorite which was why he didn't sell it when he sold the company.

OP
B

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
I had no idea they were out of production. That kind of makes this thread a moot point. Any other high bc bullets with terminal performance that would kill elk?

mcr-85

WKR
150 Berger will kill elk. If you want to shoot heavier bullets throw a barrel on your gun and jump up to the 170 EOL Berger. I killed a cow elk and a buck last year with that bullet and had no complaints.

I am interested in trying the Hornady ELD 145. I haven't seen an elk killed with one yet but I watched my buddy shoot a buck with his 300 RUM shooting the ELD and it didn't disappoint.

Yep 150VLD loaded over H1000 or Magpro and go kill critters! The 150VLD was my favorite bullet in my WSM.

mcr-85

WKR
Mine is right at 3050 shooting retumbo. A couple tenths shy of my load with the 165 Matrix. My gun has a 28” barrel on it.

dotman

WKR
My 270 win was pushing the 170 @ 2900 out of a 24" barrel using RL26, matrix was a hair faster.

I have a 1:9 being built now for use with 150's and 170's. I sure hope they start making the 165's again. Any word on that?

Also, any info on where I can find max load info on the 170's?

mcr-85

WKR
I just received this email from Steve, the new owner of Matrix bullets. It seems as he's had enough of a request for the .277 bullets that he's looking into buying the dies from Marshal to make them. He is trying to get an idea of how much interest there is for them to see if its worth it or not.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

I am in the process of arranging the purchase of the previous owners 270 dies in order to make the 165 grain bullets that you inquired about. I have had a huge interest in these bullets but since I didn’t have the dies and couldn’t make them, I do not have the jackets in the supply chain agreements I have made with my present suppliers. I would have to go back to Berger to purchase the jackets (which would be the same jackets as the previous owner used) so I need to have a good idea of the amount of jackets to purchase.

My plan would be to ask for a pre-paid order from you for a minimum amount of 500 bullets and then place the jacket order asap. However, this order could take 4-6 months to get and you would have to be prepared to accept the wait. I would have no control over the delivery time.

Once I get an idea then I would send back a quote for the cost of the bullets and ask you to book the bullets. It has been several years since the previous owner ordered these jackets so I have no idea the bullet costs. Berger has increased their jacket pricing several times over the past years.

If this is acceptable, would you please let me know how many you would be prepared to order.

Thanks

Steve