TIKKA CTR 6.5 Build

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I'd share my new build with you fine folks. I've been doing a few local long range precision shoots and was using a Ruger Precision Rifle in 308 but it just wasn't quite what I wanted so with having a budget of 3000.00 all in and after lots of research I thought the Tikka CTR in a 6.5 Creedmoor would be the ticket. I'm very familiar with the Tikkas and for my budget thought the Tikka action and factory barrel would save me quite a bit of money in Smith work right out of the gate.

I have a great relationship with the people at Mountain Tactical company/Tikka Performance and fortunately live just down the road from their shop and as luck would have it they had some over stock rifles they were trying to move so they gave me a screaming deal on a 20" Tikka T3X CTR 6.5.

Here's the build so far:
Rifle: Tikka T3X CTR 6.5 Creedmoor
Mountain Tactical bottom Metal to run Accurate mags/AICS mags
Mountain Tactical 20MOA rail cerakoted FDE
Mountain Tactical bolt handle/knob cerakoted FDE
Mountain Tactical bolt shroud cerakoted FDE

Optic:
Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18X44 MIL reticle scope
Nightforce Ultralite 30mm 1" high rings

Other parts I'm still waiting on the mailman:
Heathen Muzzle Brake by Insight Arms
Yo-Dave trigger spring
SAP 2 Round holder
Triad Stock pad/cheek weld
Sniper Skid Plate/pad
Grovtec Flush swivel to classic sling swivel

First thing I did upon receiving the rifle was pull everything apart to install the Tikka Performance parts. While it was apart I figured I'd try my hand at painting the stock. I've never painted a stock before but figured if it turned out like crap I could always clean it off or order a Manners stock later down the road. Between coats of paint I put the other parts on. Bolt shroud and handle was quick and easy. The part I was a little concerned about was putting on the new 20MOA rail. I know they epoxied on the factory rails and heard it could be a struggle. After some research I decided to use a clothing iron to set on the rail to heat the epoxy up. It worked like a charm and I got the new rail on without a hitch.

Next step was to dremel out some contact areas in the stock where it touched the barrel, about 5 minutes with the dremel tool made quick work of that. Then came reassembly which was straight forward. Then I cleaned the barrel to prepare for break in and zeroing. Once the bore was clean I mounted my scope and rings.

Hoping for the rest of my parts to show up before Friday so I can get some range time this weekend!

The goal for this rifle is to be able to compete in some local PRS type matches and potentially use it for field hunting deer and antelope but mostly just competition while staying under 11.5LBSIMG_2436.jpgIMG_2439.jpgIMG_2441.jpg

Last edited:
You'll like that heathen muzzle break, I have one on a 6.5x47 and she's very tame! Let us know how it shoots.

OP
907to406

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
You'll like that heathen muzzle break, I have one on a 6.5x47 and she's very tame! Let us know how it shoots.

Glad to hear that about the brake. I'm pretty excited to shoot it. I added some things tonight. I'll have to take some photos here soon.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Nice work!! I picked up one in stainless as that is what I felt the CTR option really offered more than the Ruger RPR. Mine had a Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44 on it for about 2.5 months and it worked great even to 1077 yards. Mine is in a XLR element stock with folding tac lite buttstock and shoots 143 eldx now at 2853 fps average over 20 shots with an ES of 19 and SD of 9. Those 20 shots to verify the load yield four 1/2" 5 shot groups or better.....needless to say I am pretty impressed with the CTR for the money!

Congrats on a great looking rig!!

OP
907to406

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
I got the brake on but still waiting on the Yo-dave trigger spring. Hopefully it shows up today! If not I'm plenty familiar with Tikka's factory trigger which I think is pretty nice out of the box so that is what it is...

Luke, thanks for the info. I'll be doing some testing tomorrow to collect data on some factory loads. I picked up a box of 50 rounds of the cheapo hornady stuff for zeroing and break it I think they are a HPBT 140gr then also 2 boxes of the Hornady 140gr ELD-M to see how they shoot. I'm on the fence right now whether to order up a box of Prime Ammunition to try. My first match with this rifle is Saturday so I'm scrambling to find something that will work over the counter right now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Might even try the 143 ELDX my CTR shoots then 5 shot 1/2" groups at 2630 fps factory speed (24" CTR barrel) just as well as 2853 fps handloaded speed.

OP
907to406

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Might even try the 143 ELDX my CTR shoots then 5 shot 1/2" groups at 2630 fps factory speed (24" CTR barrel) just as well as 2853 fps handloaded speed.

I saw those on the shelf too and think before I head out to the range this afternoon I'll swing by and grab a box. I'm shooting a 20" barrel for the time being so chasing the speed with factory ammo might be a challenge for me.

Jordan Smith

Lil-Rokslider
Nice work!! I picked up one in stainless as that is what I felt the CTR option really offered more than the Ruger RPR. Mine had a Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44 on it for about 2.5 months and it worked great even to 1077 yards. Mine is in a XLR element stock with folding tac lite buttstock and shoots 143 eldx now at 2853 fps average over 20 shots with an ES of 19 and SD of 9. Those 20 shots to verify the load yield four 1/2" 5 shot groups or better.....needless to say I am pretty impressed with the CTR for the money!

Congrats on a great looking rig!!

Hey Luke,

Just curious, but what did you replace the LRHS with, and why?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Hey Luke,

Just curious, but what did you replace the LRHS with, and why?

I put a NXS 5.5-22X56 on there. Why? Just cause I got a great deal on a one and the rifle is already a heavy son of a gun so the extra weight is actually a good thing as this will be my daughters 6.5 creedmoor to learn on as I can thread on an ultra short LOP buttstock onto the chassis her for the plink with when older enough and it doesn't hardly recoil at all in a 12+ rifle with a APA little bastard brake on it.

The LRHS will be going on a 9.5 pound 300 WSM Chassis rifle I am building next. I really like the scope but the deal on the NF was too good to pass up and the creedmoor shoots well enough for my to justify putting the NXS on it. Currently shooting 143s and 2850+ in 1/2" 5 shot groups everytime. This winter after hunting season I hope to play around with the 147 ELDMs I have and see if I can get them to 2800+ out of them and strech the legs of the little cartridge a bit more.

OP
907to406

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
Well I was able to make it to the range but weather was less than ideal. We picked up about 4 inches of snow in town and the whole time at the range it was about 36 degrees and pouring rain with a little wind but I was able to get the rifle zeroed and print some decent groups. I was shooting Hornady 140gr HPBT American Rifleman and Hornady 140gr ELD-M and was able to achieve 1/2"-1/4" groups with either factory ammo.

The rifle sits finished as is at 11.6LBS. I love the Bushnell LRHS scope but my only complaint was once I got the rifle completely zeroed and went to set the zero stop and turret I couldn't get the actual "0" of the turret to line up with the vertical line on the scope tube which really pissed me off but after messing with it for a while I think I got it figured out. I'll be heading back to the range Friday to collect data on the Hornady loads then off to my first match with this rifle on Saturday.

I opted not to do a "barrel break in" and went through about 75 rounds through a 4 hour range session with no cleaning and the gun just kept getting better and better.

Here are some pictures of some of the typical average groups I was getting. The black squares are 1"x1" for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_2456.jpg
    IMG_2456.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2457.jpg
    IMG_2457.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2461.jpg
    IMG_2461.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2465.jpg
    IMG_2465.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
OP
907to406

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
And a few more...

Attachments

• IMG_2460.jpg
    IMG_2460.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2462.jpg
    IMG_2462.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 46
On my LRHS It doesn't seem like you can reset the turret to any click mark you want. If your lucky you can get it where your zero is if not you have to put it one click in front or 1 click behind.

I messed with mine quite a bit and can only seat it every other click mark.

If you figured out a trick to get this SOB to go where you want it let me know

Wrongside

WKR
On my LRHS It doesn't seem like you can reset the turret to any click mark you want. If your lucky you can get it where your zero is if not you have to put it one click in front or 1 click behind.

I messed with mine quite a bit and can only seat it every other click mark.

If you figured out a trick to get this SOB to go where you want it let me know

From what I understand, the older production LRHSs didn't have enough splines to line up on every .10. Just every other. The newer ones are supposedly made to line up on every .1.