Rokslide Carbon Barrel/Rebarrel group buy

OP
HellsCanyon
How much truing work do you typically have to do on the rem actions, esp. their entry tier?

I don't know that Remington specs out "more true" actions for their SPS builds or different models. Recently I've had some new 700's in the shop that have been surprisingly true right from the start. Then I get another one in and it definitely needs some work.

If rebarreling I'll open up the action threads +.010" and single point recut them. I face the action, and action lugs. On the bolt, I get rid of the factory handle entirely, mainly because they are often poorly timed and have extraction issues. I'll recut both sides of the lugs, bolt nose and bolt face, then TIG weld on a new PTG threaded handle so you maximize your primary extraction and can swap out to whatever bolt knob you want.

Mike
170c78e652d7c66a44d8a063a9a55da1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willidru

WKR
I was pretty interested in this group buy initially, but after just spending 20 minutes on the phone with Mike I'm very excited to grab one of these barrels for my Tikka. Mike was extremely helpful and answered lots of questions. Let's get this up to 20 for that last price break.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Whats the fee on that work (PM if you want)? I'm still spinning wheels figuring out what caliber vs donor action if I can pull this off. Ideally I'd like a beltless 30cal magnum but will run into mag length on a tikka action (but that's pretty true out the box) unless I run a 300wsm on a long action. Rem action on the other hand can handle a watts extended magazine. I haven't been too impressed handling the low end new ADL Rem 700s it terms of fit/finish but that bolt work would clean up a bunch there. So many choices... hahaha.

coop2424

WKR
Whats the fee on that work (PM if you want)? I'm still spinning wheels figuring out what caliber vs donor action if I can pull this off. Ideally I'd like a beltless 30cal magnum but will run into mag length on a tikka action (but that's pretty true out the box) unless I run a 300wsm on a long action. Rem action on the other hand can handle a watts extended magazine. I haven't been too impressed handling the low end new ADL Rem 700s it terms of fit/finish but that bolt work would clean up a bunch there. So many choices... hahaha.

I can tell you the fit and finish after Mike gets done with it is second to non. I believe the pic above is my action that I had Mike true up and put new barrel on and the fit and finish is awesome not to mention how well it shoots.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can tell you the fit and finish after Mike gets done with it is second to non. I believe the pic above is my action that I had Mike true up and put new barrel on and the fit and finish is awesome not to mention how well it shoots.

That was a stainless SPS though right? I was referring to the modern blued ADL ones not being too impressive off the bat.

Reality is I'm leaning towards a Tikka action if I move on this but I'm just trying to weigh out options.

coop2424

WKR
My action was blued not stainless so actually that isn't mine. Haha If you don't have an action to do the build I think you are money ahead buying a tikka since most likely won't have to be trued.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
With me being fairly new to semi-custom rifles, would we need to send you our action so you could install the barrel? Is that what the extra 200$ is for, or would that be additional money?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
With me being fairly new to semi-custom rifles, would we need to send you our action so you could install the barrel? Is that what the extra 200$ is for, or would that be additional money?

Yes and yes (per what was listed in the first post). You send the action, if its one that needs truing work you can have that done (extra cost) which involves the stuff talked about in post #81, some factory actions have a reputation for rarely needing work done to them. The barrel gets chambered/threaded/mounted to the action to have the correct headspace when the barrel is tightened against the receiver (assuming its not a barrel nut system like savage for instance).

Mike, what's the "go" date on this or is it still in the air a bit?

OP
HellsCanyon
To blueprint a 700 will run you $350.
If anything I've seen more machining burrs on the stainless actions just due to them being more hard. I've got a group of 700's recently I've blueprinted. 3 LA's, 2 SA's. two of which were blued and all of them are new production actions. 2 really needed truing, 2 were fair, and 1 was great.

Tikkas are awesome! If you're not running a long action magnum caliber. Even my 280AI barely fits 168 VLD's in the magazine.

Pods is correct if you want the barrel fit to your action i have to have said action in hand.

I'll run this group buy till June 30 when payment is due and I'll get orders in!

Mike

Clarktar

WKR
Really tempting. I was recently in Mikes neck of the woods and visited him at his shop. I don't know shit about machining, but his ability to talk fluently about his process and machining indicates he either knows what he is doing, or is a great bull shitter and should be a politician :)

Mike built me a rifle almost two years ago. It is more capable than I am at this point and if I do my part easily will shoot .75 MOA, and others have shot sub .5 MOA. I have had hits on targets from 100 yards out to 1715 yards with this rifle, and that says alot given my lack of skill.

Most of Mikes business is word of mouth. Very little advertising. Don't let that fool you, his rifles (barrels) seem every bit as good as anything from Christensen, Nosler, Cooper etc.

I hope to get in on this barrel order as well.

Roy68

WKR
UHHHG .... someone needs to buy my AR that I have listed and I'd be in on this.

FWIW: Mike I still have that AR from the Tri2Hunt Charity Raffle. That was my start into the AR rabbit hole.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Sorry, it was a joke man hence the smiley face guy at the end of my comment. Comment delete.

Clarktar

WKR
Luke! I'm ****ing with you. No need to tip toe around me. I'm a sarcastic smart ass who should RARELY be taken serious. Was just pushing your leg.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
On second thought I'm going to have to pass, but I still think there is a good chance I'll have you tune up a rifle in future. Just too many other expensive things right now to spend the money.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a 270wsm semi custom and a 300wsm semi custom. I am not a guy that needs a bunch of calibers real close to each other, what chamberings do you recommend on a tikka action? Would 28 Nosler be too long for a tikka action?

OP
HellsCanyon
I have a 270wsm semi custom and a 300wsm semi custom. I am not a guy that needs a bunch of calibers real close to each other, what chamberings do you recommend on a tikka action? Would 28 Nosler be too long for a tikka action?

What bolt face is the tikka action? Honestly you're WSM's are perfect LR hunting calibers. You won't get anything ballistically superior out of a tikka action unless you wanted to go with a hot 6mm/6.5mm caliber that is cheap to shoot and you can bang all day at 1000 yards. 243, 260Ackley, 6.5-06AI, 6.5wsm, 6 creedmore are all options depending on your bolt face size in the tikka.

Mike

You should try the Divorce/Child Support hammer some time. Where you give away half your crap and still have to pay for all of hers.

An unmarried friend of mine said he was just gonna pick a woman he hated and buy her a house. It would be cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk