Help

Not so long ago, I asked for some advice on a 338 long range set up. Broz, a guy with an abundant amount of real time experience offered me the following: " As for your optic choice, I question the use of a FFP? If you were going to shoot Matches like PRS with this rifle then yes, maybe a FFP. But if what you are going to do resembles what we do, then dont fall for the FFP hype. In my world I can do everything and more with my SFP scopes as you would be able to do with a FFP. In fact, I have both almost all the time on hand, and none of my long range hunting rifles wear a FFP. With that, I will offer you look at the tried and true Nightforce NXS in .25 MOA with the MOAR reticle. Or, if you want to stretch a bit farther look at the 5~25 SFP Nightforce ATACR. The ATACR is what we ran on the ELR all season on many elk hunts. "

A guy new to long range shooting or anyone for that matter using his reticle to hold for wind can blow his shot big time by not being on full power. Sure broz and others will say that there always on full power when taking a long shot but folks have blown shots before not being on full power.

Beauty of FFP is the sub tensions are the same across all power levels so its impossible to mess up in the heat of the moment.

A guy new to long range shooting or anyone for that matter using his reticle to hold for wind can blow his shot big time by not being on full power. Sure broz and others will say that there always on full power when taking a long shot but folks have blown shots before not being on full power.

Beauty of FFP is the sub tensions are the same across all power levels so its impossible to mess up in the heat of the moment.

True, but it's still true that a FFP is not necessary, and Bruce is looking to grow into this, and get some formal training. As such, a FFP is not necessary. But, the ATACR is available in an FFP. Clearly there in an advantage to FFP in some shooting situations, but with discipline, a FFP is not necessary. Additionally, Bruce isn't looking at true long range shots, in the short term, so sub-tensions are not a critical factor (in the short term). Bruce admittedly needs some time and practice to get out to 400 yards. He also realizes that he needs formal training for actual long range shooting. In short, a FFP is an unnecessary luxury, which is Jeffs, (Broz) position. But knowing Bruce, he'd be more than willing to spring for a FFP, if he see's an applicable advantage. Bruce is also they type to extensively research, so that he make the best decision with an outlook of purchasing once, and not needing to upgrade. So in short, foe Bruce, keep the debate, opinions, and advice coming.

Jordan Smith

Lil-Rokslider
There's no reason not to go FFP, unless you're a LR benchrest shooter or 1000 meter gopher shooter, or something.

There's also no reason not to go MRAD instead of MOA. It's a bit more intuitive and simple to use.

Stick with your original plan of buying a DMR and start popping primers.

The suggestion to use something other than the .300WM to learn on is a good one. It has nothing to do with the rifle's capabilities, and everything to do with your aptitude to practice in high volume. Learning the art of LR shooting comes ONLY with, and is proportional to, volume of spent primers. I would highly recommend getting a good 8" twist .223, find some 75gr AM or ELD ammo, and start learning. Recoil and cost will be much more conducive to high-volume practice than if you were to shoot the same volume with your .300. If it takes 5000 rounds (arbitrary number) with proper education and attention to learning, then you're more likely to get there quickly with a .223 than a .300.

A well set up .22 is also an invaluable learning tool.

OP
Where's Bruce?
After talking to a 61 yr old Hunter at NF I got the SHV 4-14x56 size. Damn shop didn't have the mounting hardware. Pissed! I asked em about this before driving 50 minutes! Wanted to shoot tomorrow. Grrrr. Info and specs at SHV™ 4-14x56 RIFLESCOPE | Riflescopes & Sport Optics | Nightforce Optics, Inc.. It is SFP, will allow more light in (for those early and late shots) and will give me a greater measure of latitude as my eyes continue to age. At 26.9 oz it has a smaller weight penalty than some other NF scopes and when I looked thru it at the shop, knew I wouldn't need to lug a spotter to the range anymore. LOL
Lucked out, it has the elevation cap (newer models don't-NF hasn't updated their site yet) so I don't have to worry about it getting bumped when out on a stalk and forgetting to check the turret setting. The proof will be in the hole-putting. Good, bad or ugly...I will post pics after i get it mounted and sighted in. Thanks all. Very helpful. Got a lot of PMs, read countless reviews and feel pretty good about this selection.

OP
Where's Bruce?
3X9 Nikon is gone

NightForce 4-14X56mm mounted and aligned.

Now I just need some ammo, paper and range time. Thanks everyone!