Am I crazy for wanting to move up from a 7RM to a 300WM?

MHWASH

WKR
I did quite of bear hunting this spring with a 270Win. Decided it was a little light for long range (700) bear hunting and sold it. I still have a Vanguard 7mm that weighs 9# all up. Is there any valid reason to also sell this and buy a 300 that will end up weighing about 8# all up? This will also serve as my Elk rifle. We have to draw for branch antler bulls, and I just drew last year, so I don't foresee getting drawn anytime soon.

I will still have a 243, 260, 308, and 35 Whelen.

There is no need to go up to a 300WM, a 7 SAUM or even a 6.5 SAUM will do great work for long range on north American game.

I'd change not for the caliber necessarily, but definitely for a lighter rifle. There's nothing wrong with going even lighter. My T3 SL 7mm in a Manner such stock and SWFA scope in talley rings weighs 7.5 all up. Going to the lighter, better handling rifle is a worthwhile change. Change of caliber at the same time is just personal preference.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jordan Smith

Lil-Rokslider
Not crazy, but no really good reason to, either. Take your pick. I can understand wanting to buy and sell rifles, but getting the new rifle chambered in either the 7RM or the .300WM is a preference thing.

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
Well I have had an itch that has needed scratched for a long time. So today I picked up a slightly used Winchester Extreme Weather in 300 WM.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 73

JohnnyB

WKR
Based on the additional marginal utility and the happiness of adding to your collection (hopefully you aren't selling the 7mm) there is no good reason not to buy a new rifle. I have only regretted the guns I have sold and the ones I didn't buy due to childish fiscal responsibility.

OP
MHWASH

MHWASH

WKR
Based on the additional marginal utility and the happiness of adding to your collection (hopefully you aren't selling the 7mm) there is no good reason not to buy a new rifle. I have only regretted the guns I have sold and the ones I didn't buy due to childish fiscal responsibility.

I'm the total opposite. I sell lots of guns, and have not regretted it once. As soon as I get a load developed for the 300, the 7 will be down the road. :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I got a load it looks like out of you 300 wsm pushing the 178 eldx at 3180 fps and sub MOA with all 5 shots....hoping that will continue to improve as the barrel breaks in and I toy with seating depth.

elkguide

WKR
I like guns. I like the .30 caliber.

I only like to trade/sell guns IF I am replacing them with something that I want more.