Anyone reloading federal brass?

DEW0341

WKR
Anyone reloading federal brass? If so how many reloads are you getting. I have a couple hundred 6.5 cases wondering if anyone has any experience with em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Federal brass isn't my first choice but i've loaded a bunch of it when it's what I have on hand. Mostly 7RM because the Federal Premiums hit right with my handholds so it's a good back up option. My experience is that the primer pockets seem to get loose fairly quickly so I chicken out and toss them after 5 or 6 reloads. Haven't pushed them far enough to split necks or blow a primer. Maybe someone else has more experience to share.

rayporter

WKR
the federal i used in a 243 AI was the thickest brass of all i could find. it sits on the shelf.
consequently i have not bought any more.

OP
DEW0341

DEW0341

WKR
the federal i used in a 243 AI was the thickest brass of all i could find. it sits on the shelf.
consequently i have not bought any more.

Thanks. I'm just getting into reloading. I have always shot factory ammo out of my 6.5, I have a couple hundred hornady cases and federal cases. So just gauging how much use I'll get out of all of it. I considered using the federal to start because I'll be learning and not be that accurate and after loading a few hundred rounds get better and move on to the better brass I have stock piled. I know lapua and Norma brass is great but I'm going to use what I have on hand to keep cost down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
dont sweat it and use what you have. when it gets tired then switch. if you have 200 cases and get 4 shots out of them thats a bunch.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Almost all I use in my 7 mag is Federal brass because I have a ton of it. And because I have so much of it, I'm not even through my first round with it all in 20+ years. So I'll never get up beyond 2 or 3 reloads with it. I like it a heck of a lot better than Hornady brass.

I just got an email today from Starline that they are now making their large and small primer 6.5 CM brass. I think I'm going to pick up some of the small primer brass and give it a try, but minimum order is 250. I LOVE Starline handgun brass, so hoping their rifle brass is just as good.

KurtR

WKR
i am on my fourth loading with my 6.5 hornady brass and it is time to anneal it. I run it in lots of 500 so to keep track of how many times i load it. I used rem out of my .308 as i had a bunch and have loaded all the others in other rifles. Just make sure to use the same brass as volumes change between manufactures and it will cause a difference. Win brass shot over 100 fps faster them rem in my 308 and showed pressure signs earlier also.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just make sure to use the same brass as volumes change between manufactures and it will cause a difference. Win brass shot over 100 fps faster them rem in my 308 and showed pressure signs earlier also.

This is why I have never cared for Hornady brass. Besides it getting stuck in the dies even with plenty of lube, I seem to get a lot of flattened primers in it even without loading max loads. Whereas other's brass is fine in the dies with even less lube, and no signs of excessive pressure even pushing the limits. Hornady brass is the only brass I've seen this with.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I use federal brass for a few calibers, including 300 wsm. I'm on 4 trips with some of those and I've only discovered 2 split necks. I will say though I have not pushed the envelope on powder charges. Before I got into reloading I shot the federal fusions and wound up with lots of brass...

hwy1strat

WKR
I use Federal brass for my 308. So far I have 3 reloads in some of it and nothing wrong with any of them. I even FL resize and they are loaded pretty hot.

KurtR

WKR
This is why I have never cared for Hornady brass. Besides it getting stuck in the dies even with plenty of lube, I seem to get a lot of flattened primers in it even without loading max loads. Whereas other's brass is fine in the dies with even less lube, and no signs of excessive pressure even pushing the limits. Hornady brass is the only brass I've seen this with.

I have only had one piece of brass stuck in a die it was lapua.

cooperjd

WKR
been using Federal for my 7mag, since i had it on hand. i have one neck about to split on 2 firings. have several more with 2 firings with no issues yet...

HOGSJL

FNG
I load it in a 308 Win and the nickkel in a 300 WM. Have about four firings on it and still going strong.

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah the Federal stuff seems softer at the back end than some other brands, primer pockets loosen faster, but like you I've got metric tons of it esp in 308, so I use it. Use your federal and when it craps out, shoot some more factory ammo and get more brass!