Tripod Recommendations Sought

I am looking for a tripod light enough to use for long backpacking treks that will accommodate both optics (binos/spotter) and a rifle rest (just swap out top pc). I would prefer a rifle rest that supports the rifle (holds it parrellel to the ground) even when untouched. Need a rock solid rest for LR shots. Is there such a tripod? Really don't wanna carry a tripod and shooting sticks anymore.

bradb

WKR
I am considering doing a Feisol 3342 and a rrs self leveling base for the same idea. Still researching

Jordan Smith

Lil-Rokslider
I went with a Slik 340DX and Manfrotto 496RC2 ball head for exactly the purpose you described. It's a great compromise between lightweight and sturdy, while still being affordable. I've been very happy with it.

Yeah there equipment is the nicest ive seen. There prices are high a complete setup like your talking would be 8-9 with legs head ect. I would just do what your thinking and get the rifle rest and piece together the rest . Ive been thinking that rest on a big panhead would be pretty slick

1signguy

WKR
I have to look but I believe I have the series 2- 4 section- which is plenty tall for me (6'3") to use standing up to glass. It is rated for 39 plus pounds. I bought it sight unseen. Was blown away when I got it. The quality is very very high.

Jimss

WKR
I have a Gitzo and love it. Take a look at the Gitzo website and it tells the weight recommendations for each tripod. Most of the smaller-lighter tripods have load capacities over 20 lbs.

Bughalli

WKR
I have Silk tripod and Monfratto fluid head. Nothing overly special, but works great and in the weight range of all the higher end ones. I looked at that outdoorsmans rifle rest and that's just silly expensive for what it is. Kind of turned me off on their tripods. I like the triclawps rest much better. (Url below) It's pretty awesome, but I've been surprised how little I use it. You can make a lightweight one pretty easily with some pvc and quick release plate attached for backpacking. The new Nightforce tripod is expensive, but an interesting setup I would like to check out at some point. No real weight savings, but multifunctional.

Triclawps | Tripod Mounted Rifle Rests

Boman

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked into Precision rifle solutions? I'm about to order one. They sell a bino attachment and extra plates for a quick spotter change. And of course a rifle rest attachment. There are lots of very expensive options out there but this one is reasonable and not too heavy.

I've been using a Precision Rifle Solutions rest for quite a few years now and love it. I've never used an optics adapter on it, but I bet it would work great with their plates.