Rear bag for hunting???

AZ_Jake

FNG
Just curious what everyone prefers to use for a rear bag in hunting situations? Do you even need a rear bag or will an extra jacket suffice? Thank you for any insight!

FURMAN

WKR
I have been experimenting with the ultra light bag from Crosstac and it is great so far. I am giong to try an accu shot mono pod.

I carry a small rear bag. I use it for prone but it is also very useful for shooting off hand off of rocks, tree branches, tree trunks, or pretty much any other hard surface. So for me I always have one.

mt100gr.

WKR
I also am working with a crosstac ultralight squeeze bag. I like it but i did have to track down and add more fill. It seemed full when I started but the beads must have compressed a little. It's not super steady when standing on end/vertical but both levels of the horizontal position are great so far.

I have tried the jacket, folded up flat tarp, gloves in a beanie, bino pack options and this is much better. I just shim it up with a rock or something g else solid if the bag alone can't get me where I need to be.

Don't carry one yet but thinking about it. If I have a down jacket i condense it down into one of the pockets and it sort of acts like a bag. Seems to get the job done just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I bought a pretty large rear bag from sportsmans warehouse and emptied the sand that was in it and filled it with craft store beeds/balls. Works great and cut the weight pretty significantly. I will not shoot 500+ yards without a rear bag, so I just pack it around and forget about the extra weight.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can use about anything. I try to utilize dual purpose items and it makes no sense to me to carry extra weight for a rear bag when you most likely have something else that will work. I have used my binos and my bino chest rig for rear support but for the most part, I use my glassing pad which is a zrest and you can make it any shape or height you want by either folding or rolling it up.

Randy

ckleeves

WKR
A Cordura pullout stuffed with game bags and whatever other soft odds and ends works perfect and your not packing anything extra that way. Always worked great for me.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Flatline ops makes a sweet roll up bag. Not sure weight but it isn't much.

Str8laced bag.... great size, and light at 7 oz. ... highly recommend....well worth the money

I've got one of these in the standard fill and one light fill for hunting. I still don't carry it much but good option if expecting long shots.

I got one of the Extreme pods and the rear support system late last fall and I will say I really like it. The adjustability paired with how light it is, is nice. I honestly don't know if a guy really needs it though, I've used a pack lid, stuff sack, a jacket, a wadded up chama anything that is solid enough to make the shot. Not sure if I'll end up packing the rear support or not, it probably depends on the trip.

DEW0341

WKR
I have one from tab, I usually carabiner it to my daypack I carry around and if I have time I will use it. Other wise ball up my fist and use it under the rear of the stock or on one instance order my dad to take his hoodie off so I can make the shot, that works too.

FURMAN

WKR
I also have a Triad Red Tac Gear. So far I have seen no difference between the groups at distance shot off it and the Ultra lights. They are both just as steady but I will be doing more side by sides before season gets here. I even filled a Protektor will a lightweight fill but it seems to cause some vertical.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Red Tac Rear Bags. I like the smaller one. If you are talking true long range hunting you can't be too solid. You need a solid rear platform not something slippery or squishy.

Jeff

I have one of those as well. I had that before the Tab Str8laced bags.....good to have options. :)

Beastmode

WKR
Red Tac Rear Bags. I like the smaller one. If you are talking true long range hunting you can't be too solid. You need a solid rear platform not something slippery or squishy.

Jeff

This is what I use as well. Works great for what I use it for. Very solid. I actually keep it clipped on the bottom of my shoulder sling. It always stays handy.

weaver

WKR
Pack,bino case,jacket or whatever is handy at the time but I'm not shooting past 600yds.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk