Anyone using Hornady ELD Match for LR hunting?

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Damn! I always promise myself to stay out of these threads! I’m out! This is like talking to the ugly girl at the dance, even if you win you still lose:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
This is awesome , and no one likes a quitter. I'm waiting for someonr to tell me how they really feel

Anyone using Hornaday ELD Match for LR hunting?

Haha...well that was fun!! I think everyone has some valid points. We’ve all experienced a wide array of killings of many different game species. Bullet performance is extremely difficult to comprehend because there are so many complicated factors that come into play. There will always be someone with a bad experience with any bullet and this is because of the unpredictability of these types of circumstances. For many years while hunting with my 300 RUM I carried three different loads. I carried a long range load, a mid range load and a short range load. I really don’t believe there is a bullet out there that is ideal for every circumstance. I carried the trusty old Nosler Partitions for shots under 300 yards and at the time I ran 180 Swift Siroccos for mid to long range and 210 Bergers for extreme long range. I had good and bad experiences will all those bullets but they all performed well at their intended ranges. I still do this sometimes with my 7LRM and I’ll carry the 175 partition for anything under 300 yards. I switched the the 180 ELDM from the Bergers because I found better, more consistent accuracy. I’m going to try to get an elk in the coming weeks to test out the ELDM further but I think it has the potential to be a decent bullet. I’m still of the opinion that it’s less explosive than the Berger. As far as caliber is concerned I still believe there is no such thing as “to dead”. That being said I’ve also harvested 12 elk with a .243. Shot placement is everything. Only one of the 12 elk I’ve killed with a .243 went further than 10 steps. And that was a bull that had already been wounded by another hunter. Fists shot hit him mid rib cage and then I anchored him after my second shot in the neck at 425 yards. I loved my 300 RUM but I could never spot my shots even after I had a quality muzzle break installed. I’ve watched and spotted every shot I’ve taken with my 7LRM. I do believe that extended long range hunting (beyond) 700-800 yards requires a 300 caliber rifle. My next one will be a 300 Norma.

Last edited:
2017 Mule Deer Short - YouTube

Here’s the video. Buck stumbled down the hill and ended in the brush. All I could see was the top of his head and his horns. He expired after a few minutes.

That’s almost exactly where I shot my buck at 750 yds this year with a 168 Berger VLD at 2930fps. And he took a second round a few minutes after that. Hard to tell cause I already cut off front shoulder.... LOT of internal bleeding but he took longer to die than expected with that hit.

08667dee9f3bbf47abed9c2aab992c63.jpg

DEW0341

WKR
Damn! I always promise myself to stay out of these threads! I’m out! This is like talking to the ugly girl at the dance, even if you win you still lose:)

Be done with this thread and work on a juicy podcast with Broz talk all rifles

sneaky

"DADDY"
Come on Ryan, just shoot one with a SLAP round out of a 50cal. Hell, it'll suck the guts out for you. You just go pick it up, you can skin it when you get back to the truck if you want.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
I just shot two whitetail does at 675 yards with a Creedmoor and the 147s. Impact velocity 1918fps. The wind pushed the bullet a little far back on one. It clipped the last rib and destroyed the liver and had a small exit. That one maybe made it 50 yards. The other destroyed the heart and lungs with a small exit. That one made it about 25 yards. The bullets obviously did the job but I had hoped for a bigger exit hole. This is the smallest bullet I have every shot anything with so I have little personal experience for comparison. I know 168 Bergers have killed everything I have shot DRT. 180 Berger hunting VLDs have killed everything I have shot but they have all run a good distance. 215s I have never had anything run past 50 yards with a good shot and the elk I shot this year at 800 yards was DRT. I will continue to use the 147 until it doesn't work.

Jordan Smith

Lil-Rokslider
Like I said, one shot was a little far back so internal damage is hard to tell. The other destroyed the heart and lungs.

Thanks! Sounds like the bullet did all I would ever terminally ask of any bullet if it destroyed the heart and lungs.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I had to laugh about this when I look through this thread. This elk was shot at 485 yards with my 6 Creedmoor with a 108 Hornady ELDM. It was shot through the shoulder and made jello out of the lungs and sending shrapnel through the heart and crushing the off side shoulder and somewhat exiting. The elk made it maybe 50 yards.... So all I can say is the little 6CM might be a better elk killer than a .284! HAHA. I have video of the shot, I will try to post it soon.
7293798a68518f201fe37de4f9df7dc4.jpg

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
A guide buddy of mine shoots the 285s, they absolutely crush critters.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Bullets matter more than headstamps (or calibers). Seems I’ve heard that before...

Oh... Jordan I knew you would show back up! So in your expert option why did the target bullet work so well? Was it all in the shot placement? Are Hornady ELDMs magic? Was it luck? Do Bergers suck in .284 calibers? The truth is out there! I want this discussion to go on or I would not have posted this up at all.

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
Interesting. Grabbing some popcorn. I need a show while I settle down in the bed of the truck :)

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Interesting. Grabbing some popcorn. I need a show while I settle down in the bed of the truck :)

I dead serious. How can the 28 Nosler suck so bad for me on elk and a little tiny .243 Diameter bullet work so well? Keeps me up at night.:)